Who do you admire?

19 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

Come on Glyn ,you can do better than that mate .Must be someone modern day you admire and respect .I could have predicted that post and wrote it for you.

Too easy to respect someone who’s a name nowadays .Ive met both Nuttal and Wheeler ,found Nuttal very condescending and full of dogs names that meant nothing to me or my dogs ,Wheeler fine on the day but full of it since when asked for more in depth history ,contradicting what he’d said previous.

Wish I’d listen to N.S more instead of taking the piss lol.

Not looking for an argument just seems a bit lame .

there are a few but they just work them breed them and are not on here so wouldn't embarrass them by naming them on here 

• Like 2

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I admire my old dad . He never had a famous line of terriers never wrote a book never grassed nobody never tolerated thieves . Although he did have a line of terriers. He always had a dog that wa

Country folks farmers and landowners that let lads work their dogs in peace and understand us because as the years go by they are becoming less and less. 

At the end of the day we're all just polishing turds, no one recreated the wheel,  if it wasn't in them, you couldn't fetch it out.  I admire all of the named terrier men, past and present,  most

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Glyn..... said:

totally agree with you but without the foundation stock the ones  you mention had nothing , and they must of known what they wanted and to Breay and Buck and the others breeding the type is who they went to  , and they didn't just produced fox killers both were kean badger diggers , the fox killer theory was pushed by Plummer he did love a bit blood and gore  to write about  lol and one supposed quote by C.Breay was it even repeated in the context it may of been quoted in ? i've talked to a few who had top rate digging dogs from both men long before i was born 

From what I’ve read in books I didn’t think badgers were so prevalent in the areas Buck and Breay hunted at that time? And it was mainly just fox work in rocks?  But as you say, it could’ve been from Plummers book that I got that from.

Edited by Rabbit Hunter
Spelling error
  • Like 2
4 minutes ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

From what I’ve read in books I didn’t think badgers were so prevalent in the areas Buck and Breay hunted at that time? And it was mainly just fox work in rocks?  But as you say, it could’ve been from Plummers book that I got that from.

20th century these men were at it, both drove, and traveled to dig , F.Buck dug in my area and across north wales even taking a few pups from the Ynsfor Hunt 

• Like 3

There's a bit in Jocelyn Lucas's  "hunt and working terrier" that says (I forget which one) one of the old fell terrier breeders was either sending terriers down or working them there.  

Even in my lifetime the numbers of brock have gone through the roof, they may well have done a little travelling Glyn but we both know that the game wasn't there in numbers back then. On the other hand the number of fox was astronomical,  with one russell bitch I could get 70+ fox a season. 

Edited by dillydog
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Did only two lads create the black terrier and did all blacks started from their yards? I’m sure lads all over the country where crossing bulls with fell terriers and producing rough and smooth haired black dogs, which in turn they bred and replicated all around the same time as buck and breay did, or even before. It was a time before the internet and plenty of lads would have gone unnoticed especially lads who didn’t attend the shows, work for hunts or go in a book. Just a thought. 

• Like 3

I think be best ta save our admiration for terrier lads of the next 10 20 years and so on cause with the restrictions on terrier work only goin ta get harder and the freedom ta work terriers  to a fairly decent standard anyone that can keep a producing working line under these conditions deserve it imo.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

All the big names have something in common! They sold dogs good or bad and made names from bullshit and lies. The mute working dog today would of been useless back then until locators became available. Also all game was killed so the chance of digging an animal that was released on FairPlay after been dug 5 times which meant the educated game was a different aspect than the tuck your head under your shoulder type. Funny how some of the names were school teachers or interested in literature and knew how to spin a good yarn. Peddlars and liars they would be accused of now. People are easier to be found out nowadays .

• Like 1
4 hours ago, chesney said:

I think be best ta save our admiration for terrier lads of the next 10 20 years and so on cause with the restrictions on terrier work only goin ta get harder and the freedom ta work terriers  to a fairly decent standard anyone that can keep a producing working line under these conditions deserve it imo.

Lads and lassies start em young and they'll adapt. Long live the sport.

IMG_20190223_113927.jpg

Edited by howdeeposxxt
  • Like 3
7 hours ago, marshman said:

I admire my old dad . He never had a famous line of terriers never wrote a book never grassed nobody never tolerated thieves .

Although he did have a line of terriers. He always had a dog that was there when you broke through,always had a good lurcher even had good chickens . 

Proper countryman proper stockman and other than he’s mates or trusted men that he sported with no c**t knew him , just the way he like it lol 

Nice post marshman,your dad was probably as good as men who have or had a well known name in the terrier world but he probably wasn’t as vocal, it’s like most things in life if you don’t push to the front you won’t be seen or heard,over the years I’ve met a few big names in the dog world and with out exception they all could talk which I like and I think what sets the big names aside from the unknown men is dedication to breeding a line or type,because I for one love working my dogs but work, family & other hobbies restrict normal men like me and most others.

Bullshit  Str that does not mean the quieter terrierman has any less of a terrier for me Marshmans Da is the true terrierman not the guy who feel the need to push the front so his terriers has to be recognised why is there a need for such thing. If a terrierman is doing right by himself who gives a f**k about fame. Dig over your dog and praise them not look to be praised yourself. Otherwise money comes into it and we all know what road that leads too eventually .

Edited by howdeeposxxt
  • Like 4
16 minutes ago, howdeeposxxt said:

Bullshit  Str that does not mean the quieter terrierman has any less of a terrier for me Marshmans Da is the true terrierman not the guy who feel the need to push the front so his terriers has to be recognised why is there a need for such thing. If a terrierman is doing right by himself who gives a f**k about fame. Dig over your dog and praise them not look to be praised yourself. Otherwise money comes into it and we all know what road that leads too eventually .

Read my post again especially the first two lines I said what you are saying but without being so aggressive,I didn’t say the men that push to the front are better just that they are noticed more because they are more vocal abit like you in that last post.

• Confused 1
6 minutes ago, Str said:

Read my post again especially the first two lines I said what you are saying but without being so aggressive,I didn’t say the men that push to the front are better just that they are noticed more because they are more vocal abit like you in that last post.

f**k Sorry that's me bipolar