Who do you admire?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I admire my old dad . He never had a famous line of terriers never wrote a book never grassed nobody never tolerated thieves . Although he did have a line of terriers. He always had a dog that wa

Country folks farmers and landowners that let lads work their dogs in peace and understand us because as the years go by they are becoming less and less. 

At the end of the day we're all just polishing turds, no one recreated the wheel,  if it wasn't in them, you couldn't fetch it out.  I admire all of the named terrier men, past and present,  most

Posted Images

I agree with what you lads are saying but if I had a bitch gifted and was worth breeding from and was from a line I would first seek the advice of the breeder as he knows the line best and take it from there  and I would offer a pup back also but I would never be held to ransom over a gifted pup 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Kaiser Sozé said:

Gifting pups is a time honoured tradition in our neck of the woods. Pups are gifted to genuine honest lads we know to be in it for all the right reasons. Money never comes into it. The only stipulation is that if the terrier is going anywhere it comes back to the breeder other than that it's theirs to do with as they please. (Providing of course the animal is cared for properly.) This business of the breeder having a say in how or with whom it's bred is rubbish imo and wouldn't be tolerated round here...

Keep me in mind hahaha

Met most of the names but the ones that made an impression...

Frank Buck at Gt Yorkshire in the 80's, crackin old boy, with a glint in his eye to talk a youngster more but time that day was against us.

Brightmoore was kind but fearsome. As he told us, over his kitchen table, about Barker bred dogs, hard dogs and chasing Plummer off his land.

Park i met all too briefley when we went up to his place to buy a pup out of Jimmy. Seen him at a show a few years back but didn't speak to him. The last of the best, is how i'd describe him....

Admire... Well all of the above i've met and admire in one form or other but Gary Middleton i knew best of all and is who i hold in the highest regard. Met him aged about 15 and he had the time to speak honest to a wide eyed kid. 'These are just film stars' he said looking down at the dog that had just won best in show in a show in Sheffield, where hand made hunting knives were the prizes!! 'I can dig with em but i got others for that'... We met up for years after, right up until his death, shared some bloody good times. More than anything else, i always seen him as a man who lived his life as he wanted...

One more old boy that always took time to talk was Albert Beaumont, if anyone remembers him? Albert bred Russells and again, had time to talk to a kid who thought he knew it all (!) And quietly teach him a thing or two. Such a nice man..!

I suppose the reason i've put 'names' down is because people can relate but there are quite a few unsung hero's that i've admired over my 52 years, some are dead but some are still here around us and it's not simply for terrier work, or even for hunting but because they dedicate themselves to live a life less ordinary every day....

11 minutes ago, Bosun11 said:

Frank Buck at Gt Yorkshire in the 80's, crackin old boy, with a glint in his eye to talk a youngster more but time that day was against us.

Brightmoore was kind but fearsome. As he told us, over his kitchen table, about Barker bred dogs, hard dogs and chasing Plummer off his land.

Park i met all too briefley when we went up to his place to buy a pup out of Jimmy. Seen him at a show a few years back but didn't speak to him. The last of the best, is how i'd describe him....

Admire... Well all of the above i've met and admire in one form or other but Gary Middleton i knew best of all and is who i hold in the highest regard. Met him aged about 15 and he had the time to speak honest to a wide eyed kid. 'These are just film stars' he said looking down at the dog that had just won best in show in a show in Sheffield, where hand made hunting knives were the prizes!! 'I can dig with em but i got others for that'... We met up for years after, right up until his death, shared some bloody good times. More than anything else, i always seen him as a man who lived his life as he wanted...

One more old boy that always took time to talk was Albert Beaumont, if anyone remembers him? Albert bred Russells and again, had time to talk to a kid who thought he knew it all (!) And quietly teach him a thing or two. Such a nice man..!

I suppose the reason i've put 'names' down is because people can relate but there are quite a few unsung hero's that i've admired over my 52 years, some are dead but some are still here around us and it's not simply for terrier work, or even for hunting but because they dedicate themselves to live a life less ordinary every day....

Quality that Bosun. Here.. have a like..?

• Like 9
12 hours ago, Bosun11 said:

Hi bosun fancy sharing the brightmoor plummer story by any chance:)

• Haha 1
13 hours ago, Bosun11 said:

Spent a bit of time with GM myself, top fella! Also spent several hours chatting to AB, must have had 100 badges on that hat lol, always came to the Barrow show.

Cheers, D.

• Like 1

Gouldy had some good working stock,a man from Derby ,ray anthony was a top terrierman ,also a man I met in Ireland mr cooney knew his stuff,there's a lad in Derbyshire now who is top draw for terriers and digging , not mentioning his name , just in case, but he's the best around and a good lad as well,never stops working his dogs.

met k.gould on a few occasions over the yrs......always took the time to have a chat and rip the piss out of folks passing  by lol,Mr harcombe is another who would always stop for a chat,signed a few of the working terrier yearbooks for me,and gave me a book f.o.c few yrs back at the Welsh.theres a few good terrier lads that came from and still at it,in  the south Wales area over the yrs....S.R ,G.E, G.M,K.J,L.H to name a few?

Sadly few men (Legends) live up to the expectations we have placed upon them. It can be a disappointment when you finally do meet them. 

I have to say Tommy O’Reilly was a great character that started off what a lot of white dog men in our area have today. What you saw is what you got from Tommy. Straight and to the point, but a gentleman all the same. Always pleasurable to be in his company. I had the honour to shoulder his coffin when he was laid to rest. Tommy’s son, myself and my digging partner slipped back to the jeep for a spade and back filled. Tommy would have liked that. RIP. 

Another living legend is J.A. One of the few men that fully lives up to his reputation. A true gentleman and such a knowledgable man that few will ever reach his stature. He has done it all. Sitting listening to J.A. is some craic and the stories from the past a pleasure to be told. These lads had some sport and craic in their day and more than happy to share with the next generations.  

And then there is Barrie Wade. A bloody immeasurable force that we all owe so much. So many don’t even realise the efforts he has gone too and spent a lifetime protecting. I don’t think I could express how much I think of and believe in this man. A great character, an honourable man and true gentleman. 

Edited by Corkman
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Corkman, you are spot on about Barrie Wade - A gent and a hero of working terriers.

Frosty, i'll save that one for another day, though he wasn't shy in telling folk who'd listen.

Sid, i've no idea if Albert is still around but i'd doubt it...