Who do you admire?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I admire my old dad . He never had a famous line of terriers never wrote a book never grassed nobody never tolerated thieves . Although he did have a line of terriers. He always had a dog that wa

Country folks farmers and landowners that let lads work their dogs in peace and understand us because as the years go by they are becoming less and less. 

At the end of the day we're all just polishing turds, no one recreated the wheel,  if it wasn't in them, you couldn't fetch it out.  I admire all of the named terrier men, past and present,  most

Posted Images

Seriously some  have done me a good turn one way or another Levi oaks one tp another and a good few who didn't seek fame just worked there stock hard and bred the best they had my old man taught me a lot especially about respect and how to handle quarry but above all to really think about what was worth breeding from and what I wanted to achieve by such a lining won't of minded pecking buck and breays head about terrier work and breeding  could sit for hours in such company 

I've been lucky enough to meet alot of people who have become names in this game , there was a time when you would sit in a small pub the Queens or the Railway for a Fell and moorland meeting and there were some bloody good terriermen sat around you many of whom have spent the rest of their lives working and breeding terriers , i admire Brian Nuttalls knowledge of line breeding not so much the sales pitch John Park was just great to chat with but you never knew if it was the truth or he was filling you full of shit lol , looking back would of loved to of Chatted with Mr Breay , he and F.Buck set the foundations of the last Great British Terrier  no one will better them now 

• Like 3

I don't agree with that last bit Glyn, fair enough they lay the foundation of the dogs we keep now but they didn't actually do a great deal with them if you read all the bumf and fluff in the books.

I'm not trying to take anything away from them but with the motor cars and travel there's lads doing numbers and digs they could only dream of.

• Like 7
5 minutes ago, dillydog said:

I don't agree with that last bit Glyn, fair enough they lay the foundation of the dogs we keep now but they didn't actually do a great deal with them if you read all the bumf and fluff in the books.

I'm not trying to take anything away from them but with the motor cars and travel there's lads doing numbers and digs they could only dream of.

I'm not saying they were the greatest Terriermen or workers of terriers i'm saying they set the foundations of the last great british line /breed of working terrier no one will ever be able to do it again , myself yourself and anyone who keeps and works the black/choc's will trace their family back to thiers , to a lesser extent would be  the likes  Gould and Nuttall if they hadn't turned them into a cash crop few would of got there hands on them for better or worst  :)  

• Like 2

Come on Glyn ,you can do better than that mate .Must be someone modern day you admire and respect .I could have predicted that post and wrote it for you.

Too easy to respect someone who’s a name nowadays .Ive met both Nuttal and Wheeler ,found Nuttal very condescending and full of dogs names that meant nothing to me or my dogs ,Wheeler fine on the day but full of it since when asked for more in depth history ,contradicting what he’d said previous.

Wish I’d listen to N.S more instead of taking the piss lol.

Not looking for an argument just seems a bit lame .

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

Is it not fair to say that Buck and Breay set out to produce a fox killing terrier and the likes of the men since then Gould, Stacey, Brightmore, Nuttall progressed them into the digging terriers they are today?

totally agree with you but without the foundation stock the ones  you mention had nothing , and they must of known what they wanted and to Breay and Buck and the others breeding the type is who they went to  , and they didn't just produced fox killers both were kean badger diggers , the fox killer theory was pushed by Plummer he did love a bit blood and gore  to write about  lol and one supposed quote by C.Breay was it even repeated in the context it may of been quoted in ? i've talked to a few who had top rate digging dogs from both men long before i was born 

• Like 2