Who do you admire?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I admire my old dad . He never had a famous line of terriers never wrote a book never grassed nobody never tolerated thieves . Although he did have a line of terriers. He always had a dog that wa

Country folks farmers and landowners that let lads work their dogs in peace and understand us because as the years go by they are becoming less and less. 

At the end of the day we're all just polishing turds, no one recreated the wheel,  if it wasn't in them, you couldn't fetch it out.  I admire all of the named terrier men, past and present,  most

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, baker boy said:

I could name half a dozen but the names would mean nothing to you

They don’t have to be well known and you don’t have to name them , you could just give reasons why a certain person has been so influential to you.

26 minutes ago, trapliner said:

J P can certainly tell a tale like no other as u say chevin top man

I’ve heard him described as 10% John, only believe 10% of what he tells you but it was said in good taste with respect as he is the real deal, well he is a Yorkshire man.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Str said:

I’ve noticed that whoever’s name in the terrier world is mentioned on here it’s not long until folks start slagging them ,be it they have done no work, the dogs they have are stolen there books are are shite etc,so who is up there who do you rate? Ps you can’t nominate yourself.

I thought that too. But some of the cork lads with white dogs are top men. No money changed hands which is the cause of all evil. They would fill your yard with dogs if they trusted you.Every dog was gifted and if circumstances changed then you would call them first before moving dogs. That doesn't mean that that phone calls don't happen and arguments happen but I'd call that passion and you can argue about ability over whichever dog or lines but money was never mentioned. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
3 hours ago, Str said:

So every terrier man? That sounds like a politicians answer.

Alot of dreamers, they call themselves terrier men, handful of digs and spend the summer talking shite, so no , I will answer it again I admire the lads that go out every minute they get to work their dogs, not the lads(terriermen) that dig one terrier every now n again 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, jiggy said:

I thought that too. But some of the cork lads with white dogs are top men. No money changed hands which is the cause of all evil. They would fill your yard with dogs if they trusted you.Every dog was gifted and if circumstances changed then you would call them first before moving dogs. That doesn't mean that that phone calls don't happen and arguments happen but I'd call that passion and you can argue about ability over whichever dog or lines but money was never mentioned. 

? 100% you have to admire the old boys in cork, breed some top dogs and not looking for fame or fortune

13 minutes ago, mad4digging said:

? 100% you have to admire the old boys in cork, breed some top dogs and not looking for fame or fortune

They will never be as famous as the new kid on the block with the whites T ?? all joking aside that’s the way it should be gifs dogs to genuine people and anything ever changes give it back to who u got it of . To many in it now days looking to make a quick euro 

• Like 3
35 minutes ago, shaneg said:

They will never be as famous as the new kid on the block with the whites T ?? all joking aside that’s the way it should be gifs dogs to genuine people and anything ever changes give it back to who u got it of . To many in it now days looking to make a quick euro 

Ahh stop now lad you'll give me a big head ?? easy to see what lines have survived and what lines have fell victim to cash

• Like 1

Person I looked up to was Nick Stevens for the reason he was hell of a chap with handling quarry and never to my knowledge charged a penny for a pup .Some will have stories about him ,this and that but who hasn’t done something they weren’t particularly proud of .

A lot of lads owe their yards to his vision and the way he went about breeding ,keeping it tight .

Another is my old mate sadly passed on Norman Dunn ,who showed me the ropes and how to care for my workers both during and after a dig .Never heard a cross word from him either .

Present day lads I respect  would be the two I know who are on the road to breeding decent bedlingtons ,they are honest about what they have and their goals .Met plenty of lads with goals on paper but very few who actually achieve it .

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

I disagree on that Rob, would you rather there was no books? I would say the books I read about the older boys when I first started really gave me something to aim for, it’s also nice to read about old dogs and history to be down in black and white rather than lost.

Nothing wrong with reading them and I agree there should be books, I’ve read loads of them and want to read more. I think I didn’t word it correctly, what I meant was I couldn’t admire someone because they’re in a book or famous, anyone in that category is happy to be in the limelight and I can’t admire a person like that, not that there’s anything wrong with it, but that’s just me, I hate to idolise. The only person I admire in the terriers would be my father as he showed me the ropes.

• Like 3