Wormers

Ive been getting the same wormers for ages and worming the dogs every three months , but a mate says once in a while i should change them to another brand ?  anybody else do that or just stick to the same brand ?. 

There would not be a reason for not thinking there needs to be a change of worming meds other than fa different worm types lung or heart frontal will kill parasitic tape worm round worm etc ,the tape worm if any will be a fresh parasitic worm from previous when wormed correctly hence the need for regular worming when on the raw .atb bill

I dont think theres anything wrong with the condition of my dogs but we also get tablets for a mate and he changed brands and said he saw worms ( i thought modern wormers dissolved the worms in the dogs ) but i can remember and used to like  seeing the worms in the crap after you wormed them . But i think i will change brands and see if it makes a difference 

I change mine between milbemax and drontal. I use to worm my one dog every 3 months to the day and the one time it didn’t kill the worms. Spoke to m6 vet who told me to wait a week then worm again and it should sort the problem which it did. Apparently the worms get use to regular wormings so it don’t pay to be to on the ball with  worming. It’s good to mix it up a bit

19 hours ago, C.green said:

Think it kills the worms but not the eggs in the muscles. 

they lay dormant until the dog is stressed in some way or has pups etc then they'll be killed by the wormer? Can't remember really but is the active ingredient not the same in a few of them

just had a look at the packet, for round and tape "Praziquantel", iirc that's what's in Drontal

Edited by Gilbey
ad
1 minute ago, joe ox said:

Worming every three months is over doing it, 6 months is more than regular enough.

Heard that a few times.they say the chemicals can cause more harm than the worms if given too regular.

I used to get millbamax free and still only worm 2/3 a year.