gnasher16

Into the Wild ..Chris McCandless

6 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

I wouldnt say he was raised with abuse as such was he ?....i know he didnt get on with his father but McCandless did seem to just be one of those oddball types who seems to stroll through life with very few needs...

Hard to say. His sister wrote a book and she describes the physical and sexual abuse inflicted by their parents. Both alchies. He said she said and all that as they stenuously deny the allegations but the sister claims it explains why Chris wanted to get away from everything.

i quite liked his attitude to life from the way he was presented in the book he had a bit of that do or die spirit and placed value on experiences rather than material shit...

Agreed I'm the same. If you don't like your situation, change it. He was the living embodiment of that philosophy and good or bad he lived life on his own terms. If the allegations of his home life are true then that alone should be to his credit if nothing else.

im not sure his actual death was really from stupidity but certainly what got him to the stage leading up to it was,something to do with his map not being the correct scale and had it been correct it would have showed some sort of bridge less than a mile away...

This is what polarizes opinion of him, especially with the Alaskans. The park rangers that found him said he didn't have a map of the area and if he had he could have simply walked out of his predicament earlier on at least. There was a hand operated tramway less than a mile from the bus but he didn't have a good enough map, if he had one at all. His limited knowledge and lack or preparation factored heavily too as the Alaskan bush will quickly weed out the unworthy which is what happened and some use McCandless' story as how not to guide to the wilderness. The Alaskans sit heavily in the bonkers deathwish camp.

That being said I agree with you on his attitude. Critics aside he changed his situation and seized life by the horns. Stepped away from gear and threw his lot into experience. I admire him for that and after reading it all those years ago I have to say a lot of it stuck and I'd be lying if I said it didn't factor into how, why, and where I am today. Granted I didn't chuck it all in to go and hide in the woods but the woods is only a 100yards away when I'm out with the dogs! :laugh:

wasnt he eating a plant regularly but then ate the roots of it which was what fxxxxd him up....just shows when you do something like that how decisions you make can cost you.

There's a lot of specualtion as to what caused his death. Not sure if they pinpointed it but there's plenty of plants that he collected that could've contributed to it but this is where upset he locals as they say better preparation could have avoided it. Roll the dice though, right?

5 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

Idiot or free spirit....... Fair and natural question but tbh I'm not sure I care to judge him, I'm just glad people like him exist. I'd say he was/is an inspiration!

I think that you can bog yourself down with preparation and fear. I admire folks who just go for it.

Totally agree. Saying that I wouldn't just plonk myself down with a couple of books and expect to come out of it in one piece. He even managed to shoot a moose but he didn't know how to field dress and store it so it spoiled. I admire that he went for it although with the benefit of hindsight would his trip have been what it became if he'd prepared? Would he have his own thread on THL or would we be berating his reality survival school on the Discovery channel? :laugh:

Edited by ChrisJones
Typo
  • Like 2

I wonder how many shots it took him to drop a moose with .22

• Haha 1

A friend of mine by the name of John Harrison crossed the amazon rain forest years ago, long before edd  Stafford with nothing more than an old shotgun  a machete and a folding canoe, no sat nav and no sat phone and he took his wife along as well, he wrote a book called,, off the map,,  about his journey if you like that kind of adventure it’s well worth a read  👍👍

• Like 1

I have met a few people doing extreme things,once met a guy in hunza why was riding his bike overland from Hong Kong to the UK.In HK I met a kiwi guy who was off the f***ing scale,seriously impressive,he was walking around the world,would have loved to hear how his journey ended.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I walked home in the dark without a torch once 🥺

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, socks said:

I walked home in the dark without a torch once 🥺

Spelt run wrong there mate😉

• Haha 1

Great book and one of my favourite films 

1 hour ago, W. Katchum said:

Spelt run wrong there mate😉

You don’t run in the dark because the dwarves with backward facing feet that live in the bushes will hear you 🤡

10 hours ago, mackem said:

I have met a few people doing extreme things,once met a guy in hunza why was riding his bike overland from Hong Kong to the UK.In HK I met a kiwi guy who was off the f***ing scale,seriously impressive,he was walking around the world,would have loved to hear how his journey ended.

With sore feet I would imagine 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Take it slow mate, I'm camping in a Northumbrian forest as I type, owls hooting deer barking, made a curry on the firebox cannot beat it, dogs love it an all. PIC from last autumn 

IMG_20180805_075941801.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I thought the film was shite to be honest , 

never beat Jeremiah Johnson 

• Like 1

Anyone into nutters disappearing into the wilds there's a film of a guy called Timothy Treadwell that's worth a watch, the bloke went to live with bears in Alaska he's charging them down when there fishing and everything proper screw loose