Into the Wild ..Chris McCandless

13 minutes ago, PMul said:

Gone anytime from over night to two weeks. 

Landscape is bush or forest as you guys would call it. Looking out of my front window is straight bush for ever until you hit the NWT. 

Nope, I’m no Ranger, just a guy that likes to hunt / fish/camp / canoe in the back county. 

Your question as to weather a dog is a help or not I say definitely. 

I always have one with me. 

Good company, good early warning system for two and four legged critters, and if shit got real, I guess it’s 50lb of good eating.........?

any close encounters you can mention PMuL 

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Step one;  crap pants.  Step two; point gun.  Step three; make noise.  Step four; bear makes decision.  Step five; (if I’ve survived step four) shoot dogs for letting him that clos

Ok.  Ive had a lot of experience with bears(at least my dogs have) so I don’t worry to much.  Ive never crossed pathes with a true “ predator bear (or I wouldn’t be writing this) but some ar

Gone anytime from over night to two weeks.  Landscape is bush or forest as you guys would call it. Looking out of my front window is straight bush for ever until you hit the NWT.  Nope, I’m

Posted Images

Ok. 

Ive had a lot of experience with bears(at least my dogs have) so I don’t worry to much. 

Ive never crossed pathes with a true “ predator bear (or I wouldn’t be writing this) but some are more curious that others. 

You have to watch out for moma with cubs. She’s just doing her job, but might chew you up just to prove a point. 

Worst feeling I’ve ever had was while fishing/gold panning in a little stream aways from town. 

I had a hound and an Airedale sitting on the bank waiting for me, when they started growling and woofing at something across the stream. 

There I see two strange looking fuckers just watching me. 

No wave, no acknowledgement, then they just walk back into the bush.  

These two where far more scary than any bear. 

I kept the mares leg (44 mag)close on the ride out. 

Wolves concern me me more than bears. 

They’ll eat my dogs. They are the reason I tie my dogs up over night in camp. 

Don’t want nobody going  awal in the morning. 

• Like 4
4 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

Some blindin points there thanks Chris ?......i wasnt aware of anything like that i knew he didnt get on with the dad but thought it was just because he thought the lad was a bit of a drop out didnt the father work for NASA i cant see him holding down a job like that as an alchie ?

His dad was a brilliant engineer by all accounts but both he and his mam liked a drink. It's his sister that alleges the domestic violence based on alcohol fuelled rage but I didn't read her book I just went off some of the publicized snippets that they released at the time. Chris was quite the academic it seems but he started his adventures almost immediately after getting his degree. I can see how him not following an accepted path plus having a parent that's a heavy drinker would lead to issues. As far as boozers go you'd be surprised how many high functioning alcoholics there are.

4 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

Thats right a hand operated tramway not a bridge your right,i think im right in saying there was also a number of sheds that hunters left supplies in close to him.....theres also a bit of debate that the so called Moose he shot was infact a Caribou but he didnt know the difference......i think its a fascinating story and i can totally understand the desire to just f**k off like that,the book didnt say whether he had done similar stuff in more hospitable conditions but im presuming he knew a bit but not enough.

I seem to remember reading in a few articles around the time the book came out that he'd built up to the Alaska trip by taking other trips around America. Two years of drifting and hitchhiking etc. I'm sure he wasn't completely incapable but Alaska isn't the place to cut you a break! Again he gets a lot of flak from the locals but no one can argue that he didn't live his dream. I feel for the poor b*****d that found him but he'll get over it! :laugh:

5 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

I wonder in a scenario like that would a dog be a help or a hindrance ?.....maybe not Alaska but wild camping in general ?

Living in big cat country I'm going with a dog being a help every time. They'll alert when anything out of the normal happens and being able to sleep outside without being ambushed is great for the sleep patterns! :laugh:

• Like 2
7 hours ago, ChrisJones said:

Living in big cat country I'm going with a dog being a help every time. They'll alert when anything out of the normal happens and being able to sleep outside without being ambushed is great for the sleep patterns! :laugh:

In this country a dog is in a way a hinderance if your wild camping ... whilst it’s great for company and maybe catching the odd bit of game in reality it’s one more thing to look after and worry about and feed ... if your going with the bare staples rice nuts etc and hunting fishing for your food then you’ve got to share that with a dog or carry food for your dog. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, lurcherman 887 said:

Do you ever camp out socks ? Like a week at a time.. id like to do that we could even go camping together 

I spend about a third of the year under the stars 

2265E43E-FE54-45B6-9F33-2975D32B150F.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, socks said:

In this country a dog is in a way a hinderance if your wild camping ... whilst it’s great for company and maybe catching the odd bit of game in reality it’s one more thing to look after and worry about and feed ... if your going with the bare staples rice nuts etc and hunting fishing for your food then you’ve got to share that with a dog or carry food for your dog. 

Depending on your dog, put a pack in him and let him carry his own food. 

Maybe some of your stuff to. 

If im hiking, my dogs carry a lot of my stuff. 

• Thanks 1