Into the Wild ..Chris McCandless

11 minutes ago, JDHUNTING said:

Anyone into nutters disappearing into the wilds there's a film of a guy called Timothy Treadwell that's worth a watch, the bloke went to live with bears in Alaska he's charging them down when there fishing and everything proper screw loose

I personally thought that fella was living on another planet! LOL

• Haha 2

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Step one;  crap pants.  Step two; point gun.  Step three; make noise.  Step four; bear makes decision.  Step five; (if I’ve survived step four) shoot dogs for letting him that clos

Ok.  Ive had a lot of experience with bears(at least my dogs have) so I don’t worry to much.  Ive never crossed pathes with a true “ predator bear (or I wouldn’t be writing this) but some ar

Gone anytime from over night to two weeks.  Landscape is bush or forest as you guys would call it. Looking out of my front window is straight bush for ever until you hit the NWT.  Nope, I’m

Posted Images

On 21/02/2019 at 13:31, gnasher16 said:

I recently read my first ever book cover to cover and really enjoyed it so ordered the film has anybody seen it ?.....anyone got any views on the lad McCandless was he a complete idiot or a bit of a free spirit ?.....interesting story for those of you who havent heard of it.....certainly puts paid to any of my Grizzly Adams plans yet f**k it im getting meself a bit more knowledge first.

I think Chris was a victim of under planning and over romantasizing (sp) off grid living. 

He was certainly an accomplished survivor and un afraid to test his own abilities. Unfortunately for him, he found his limit. 

Being in the backcountry without company or communications  may seem mad to some,  but to those that do it, it’s no different from hunting with your dogs alone. 

I frequently hunt and camp alone (except for a dog or two) many, many kilometres from civilization. 

I live alone and work independently. 

It could be weeks before anyone knew I was missing. 

You can be afraid or feel free.....

the choice is yours. 

• Like 2
On 22/02/2019 at 14:45, ChrisJones said:

Hard to say. His sister wrote a book and she describes the physical and sexual abuse inflicted by their parents. Both alchies. He said she said and all that as they stenuously deny the allegations but the sister claims it explains why Chris wanted to get away from everything.

Agreed I'm the same. If you don't like your situation, change it. He was the living embodiment of that philosophy and good or bad he lived life on his own terms. If the allegations of his home life are true then that alone should be to his credit if nothing else.

This is what polarizes opinion of him, especially with the Alaskans. The park rangers that found him said he didn't have a map of the area and if he had he could have simply walked out of his predicament earlier on at least. There was a hand operated tramway less than a mile from the bus but he didn't have a good enough map, if he had one at all. His limited knowledge and lack or preparation factored heavily too as the Alaskan bush will quickly weed out the unworthy which is what happened and some use McCandless' story as how not to guide to the wilderness. The Alaskans sit heavily in the bonkers deathwish camp.

That being said I agree with you on his attitude. Critics aside he changed his situation and seized life by the horns. Stepped away from gear and threw his lot into experience. I admire him for that and after reading it all those years ago I have to say a lot of it stuck and I'd be lying if I said it didn't factor into how, why, and where I am today. Granted I didn't chuck it all in to go and hide in the woods but the woods is only a 100yards away when I'm out with the dogs! :laugh:

There's a lot of specualtion as to what caused his death. Not sure if they pinpointed it but there's plenty of plants that he collected that could've contributed to it but this is where upset he locals as they say better preparation could have avoided it. Roll the dice though, right?

Totally agree. Saying that I wouldn't just plonk myself down with a couple of books and expect to come out of it in one piece. He even managed to shoot a moose but he didn't know how to field dress and store it so it spoiled. I admire that he went for it although with the benefit of hindsight would his trip have been what it became if he'd prepared? Would he have his own thread on THL or would we be berating his reality survival school on the Discovery channel? :laugh:

Some blindin points there thanks Chris ?......i wasnt aware of anything like that i knew he didnt get on with the dad but thought it was just because he thought the lad was a bit of a drop out didnt the father work for NASA i cant see him holding down a job like that as an alchie ?

Thats right a hand operated tramway not a bridge your right,i think im right in saying there was also a number of sheds that hunters left supplies in close to him.....theres also a bit of debate that the so called Moose he shot was infact a Caribou but he didnt know the difference......i think its a fascinating story and i can totally understand the desire to just f**k off like that,the book didnt say whether he had done similar stuff in more hospitable conditions but im presuming he knew a bit but not enough.

I wonder in a scenario like that would a dog be a help or a hindrance ?.....maybe not Alaska but wild camping in general ?

• Thanks 1
23 hours ago, PMul said:

I think Chris was a victim of under planning and over romantasizing (sp) off grid living. 

He was certainly an accomplished survivor and un afraid to test his own abilities. Unfortunately for him, he found his limit. 

Being in the backcountry without company or communications  may seem mad to some,  but to those that do it, it’s no different from hunting with your dogs alone. 

I frequently hunt and camp alone (except for a dog or two) many, many kilometres from civilization. 

I live alone and work independently. 

It could be weeks before anyone knew I was missing. 

You can be afraid or feel free.....

the choice is yours. 

Good for you chief....how long at a time are you gone ?.....and what type of landscape ?

I was reading about these ranger chaps in and around the Yellowstone National Park whos job it was to literally roam about looking for dead or stranded people they would be away for 6 weeks at a time....not one of these types are you ?

Gone anytime from over night to two weeks. 

Landscape is bush or forest as you guys would call it. Looking out of my front window is straight bush for ever until you hit the NWT. 

Nope, I’m no Ranger, just a guy that likes to hunt / fish/camp / canoe in the back county. 

Your question as to weather a dog is a help or not I say definitely. 

I always have one with me. 

Good company, good early warning system for two and four legged critters, and if shit got real, I guess it’s 50lb of good eating.........?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1