Into the Wild ..Chris McCandless

I recently read my first ever book cover to cover and really enjoyed it so ordered the film has anybody seen it ?.....anyone got any views on the lad McCandless was he a complete idiot or a bit of a free spirit ?.....interesting story for those of you who havent heard of it.....certainly puts paid to any of my Grizzly Adams plans yet f**k it im getting meself a bit more knowledge first.

Edited by gnasher16
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Step one;  crap pants.  Step two; point gun.  Step three; make noise.  Step four; bear makes decision.  Step five; (if I’ve survived step four) shoot dogs for letting him that clos

Ok.  Ive had a lot of experience with bears(at least my dogs have) so I don’t worry to much.  Ive never crossed pathes with a true “ predator bear (or I wouldn’t be writing this) but some ar

Gone anytime from over night to two weeks.  Landscape is bush or forest as you guys would call it. Looking out of my front window is straight bush for ever until you hit the NWT.  Nope, I’m

Posted Images

1 hour ago, gnasher16 said:

I recently read my first ever book cover to cover and really enjoyed it so ordered the film has anybody seen it ?.....anyone got any views on the lad McCandless was he a complete idiot or a bit of a free spirit ?.....interesting story for those of you who havent heard of it.....certainly puts paid to any of my Grizzly Adams plans yet f**k it im getting meself a bit more knowledge first.

The film is a pretty good adaptation IMHO. If you've enjoyed the book you'll probably enjoy the film too. Bonkers, or free spirit? Bit of both with decent slice of naivety thrown in for good measure. If you're looking at going off grid build up your skillset first, don't go full McCandless as they say! :thumbs:

11 minutes ago, trapperman said:

i watched an interesting documentary on I think Netflix about his life, not a very good home life by all accounts

Not seen the documentary but I'd read a little into his home life and it was full of abuse by all accounts and factored into his travels. The Alaskan stint of his journey certainly polarized opinions of him. His story is a sticky point for a lot of Alaskans. They see Krakauer's book romanticising as what happens when you ignore the 6P's and is essentially suicide through stupidity.

• Like 2

Read the book and watched the film ... he was doing ok except for a few mistakes which anybody could have made and I’m normal life wouldn’t have been fatal ... but when your in the arse end of nowhere with no coms even a little mistake can mean the end of you .......

• Like 2
10 hours ago, ChrisJones said:

Not seen the documentary but I'd read a little into his home life and it was full of abuse by all accounts and factored into his travels. The Alaskan stint of his journey certainly polarized opinions of him. His story is a sticky point for a lot of Alaskans. They see Krakauer's book romanticising as what happens when you ignore the 6P's and is essentially suicide through stupidity.

I wouldnt say he was raised with abuse as such was he ?....i know he didnt get on with his father but McCandless did seem to just be one of those oddball types who seems to stroll through life with very few needs....i quite liked his attitude to life from the way he was presented in the book he had a bit of that do or die spirit and placed value on experiences rather than material shit.....im not sure his actual death was really from stupidity but certainly what got him to the stage leading up to it was,something to do with his map not being the correct scale and had it been correct it would have showed some sort of bridge less than a mile away....wasnt he eating a plant regularly but then ate the roots of it which was what fxxxxd him up....just shows when you do something like that how decisions you make can cost you.

I cant find this documentary about it anywhere.

Idiot or free spirit....... Fair and natural question but tbh I'm not sure I care to judge him, I'm just glad people like him exist. I'd say he was/is an inspiration!

I think that you can bog yourself down with preparation and fear. I admire folks who just go for it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
31 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Idiot or free spirit....... Fair and natural question but tbh I'm not sure I care to judge him, I'm just glad people like him exist. I'd say he was/is an inspiration!

I think that you can bog yourself down with preparation and fear. I admire folks who just go for it.

I think he came over as being mentally ill 

48 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

48 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Spot on ..where's the adventure if everything is safe and prepared ? you may have an experience ,but is it a real adventure ?

If you are going to face the Dragon then there must be a real danger to your life ....otherwise your just playing .

• Like 3
25 minutes ago, Astanley said:

Spot on ..where's the adventure if everything is safe and prepared ? you may have an experience ,but is it a real adventure ?

If you are going to face the Dragon then there must be a real danger to your life ....otherwise your just playing .

post.png

Edited by Born Hunter
404 site error BS!
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

I wouldnt say he was raised with abuse as such was he ?....i know he didnt get on with his father but McCandless did seem to just be one of those oddball types who seems to stroll through life with very few needs...

Hard to say. His sister wrote a book and she describes the physical and sexual abuse inflicted by their parents. Both alchies. He said she said and all that as they stenuously deny the allegations but the sister claims it explains why Chris wanted to get away from everything.

i quite liked his attitude to life from the way he was presented in the book he had a bit of that do or die spirit and placed value on experiences rather than material shit...

Agreed I'm the same. If you don't like your situation, change it. He was the living embodiment of that philosophy and good or bad he lived life on his own terms. If the allegations of his home life are true then that alone should be to his credit if nothing else.

im not sure his actual death was really from stupidity but certainly what got him to the stage leading up to it was,something to do with his map not being the correct scale and had it been correct it would have showed some sort of bridge less than a mile away...

This is what polarizes opinion of him, especially with the Alaskans. The park rangers that found him said he didn't have a map of the area and if he had he could have simply walked out of his predicament earlier on at least. There was a hand operated tramway less than a mile from the bus but he didn't have a good enough map, if he had one at all. His limited knowledge and lack or preparation factored heavily too as the Alaskan bush will quickly weed out the unworthy which is what happened and some use McCandless' story as how not to guide to the wilderness. The Alaskans sit heavily in the bonkers deathwish camp.

That being said I agree with you on his attitude. Critics aside he changed his situation and seized life by the horns. Stepped away from gear and threw his lot into experience. I admire him for that and after reading it all those years ago I have to say a lot of it stuck and I'd be lying if I said it didn't factor into how, why, and where I am today. Granted I didn't chuck it all in to go and hide in the woods but the woods is only a 100yards away when I'm out with the dogs! :laugh:

wasnt he eating a plant regularly but then ate the roots of it which was what fxxxxd him up....just shows when you do something like that how decisions you make can cost you.

There's a lot of specualtion as to what caused his death. Not sure if they pinpointed it but there's plenty of plants that he collected that could've contributed to it but this is where upset he locals as they say better preparation could have avoided it. Roll the dice though, right?

5 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

Totally agree. Saying that I wouldn't just plonk myself down with a couple of books and expect to come out of it in one piece. He even managed to shoot a moose but he didn't know how to field dress and store it so it spoiled. I admire that he went for it although with the benefit of hindsight would his trip have been what it became if he'd prepared? Would he have his own thread on THL or would we be berating his reality survival school on the Discovery channel? :laugh:

Edited by ChrisJones
Typo
  • Like 2