Health and safety

Been on sites building since I left school or around the construction industry and always thought health and safety a massive pain in the ass however I can now see the point of it with safe lifting loads and all that stuff I'm all but 29 now my knee is fecked both shoulders are in bits after a days hard graft back is that of a 70 year old (well that's how it feels) but I got taught by old school blokes who just did it without worrying about anything and that's what I've done. Working with lads just leaving school and they flat refuse to do alot of stuff won't use some tools won't lift anything to heavy either but bet they don't feel fecked by my age! Know older fellas who are in complete bits from a life of graft but what can you do if health and safety comes into it most jobs would never get done!! 

• Like 2

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One apprentice turned up on Job with his f***ing eye brows shaped like a lady boy and smelt like he was going out on razzle. Went to shop at 10 o'clock bait and hasn't been seen since !! ???

there's no work in any c**t under30 these days?I keep having young labourers that can't last till first break just passing me slabs or bricks....to busy on their fones and sorting out the next bag....

I walked after 4 hours on a building site , feckin brickies kept interrupting when I was on my phone ? 

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Saltmoon said:

Know older fellas who are in complete bits from a life of graft 

My old man used to say hard work never killed anyone,it f***ing does!I have mates whose health and physical wellbeing are shot to shit from a life in hard physical labour like building sites etc.

• Like 1

Local radio today guy from barratts saying how timber framed houses are the way forward, as they are building 1000 new homes in the east riding, when asked if there was a shortage of tradesmen, he said there was but they would overcome the problem. Truth is they are partly to blame for the shortage, stopping apprenticeships, when the recession hit they were quick enough to get rid of decent tradesmen and reduce prices for brickwork. Bring in the east europeans they were cheap or so they thought, cost a fortune to put their work right. A site is only as good as its site managers standards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

there's no work in any c**t under20181127_144315.jpg.5d9bce9041725648cd8d3aece56df72a.jpg30 these days?I keep having young labourers that can't last till first break just passing me slabs or bricks....to busy on their fones and sorting out the next bag.......

Less of this under 30 stuff ? couldn't agree more about phones and lazy shite bags though but I do pride myself on destroying lads in a mornings work had one lad done an hour digging with me he "went to the toilet" never seen him again ?? gone by 9 in the morning!! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I run a small building firm ,mostly renovating old buildings,plenty of work ,I've had same fella who is 53 years old for 6 years, will do anything you ask of him .also one of my own sons ,20 years old ,was ropey at the start ,but now doe s a good days graft .also 1 other full time fella .But I have vacancies for 3 apprentices ,and so far in 6 years I've had 25 apprentices .!!! Unbelievable . When I retire I'm writing a comic book about excuses for not going to work . Cause I've heard some toppers.

• Haha 4
1 hour ago, maxhardcore said:

I honestly don't know how New Builds nowdays get signed off.

The quality of workmanship or lack of it is evident .

And if what you can see is of such poor quality it makes you wonder how bad the stuff you can't see is.

Iv seen diluties of 30 years ago have standards much better than many of today's so called Tradesmen.

Iv been on Gleeson and Persimon sites of late that were shocking.

im working for one of those companies at the moment, they've had to rip three pairs of footings up they were that bad and ive had to drop the brickwork on one then set it out 

a corse higher so the floor can be re concreted cos its 70mm out of level:icon_eek:

worst ive seen and ive been doing it 30 year too. 

I refuse to take apprentices cos most of them are fcukin stupid 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Foxpack 2 said:

I run a small building firm ,mostly renovating old buildings,plenty of work ,I've had same fella who is 53 years old for 6 years, will do anything you ask of him .also one of my own sons ,20 years old ,was ropey at the start ,but now doe s a good days graft .also 1 other full time fella .But I have vacancies for 3 apprentices ,and so far in 6 years I've had 25 apprentices .!!! Unbelievable . When I retire I'm writing a comic book about excuses for not going to work . Cause I've heard some toppers.

I worked with a fella who was 66 at the time years ago and he was the hardest grafter I'd come across work me to the bone but I did it and got on with it then he didn't want to work with no one else. They don't know the meaning of shut the f**k up and get on with it 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, ChrisJones said:

Timber framed houses? Are they the way forward or is to increase profit margins?

id say timber framed are even worse quality than traditional build, seen some right shite over the years!

if the timber sections aren't right you either  end up with no cavity or told to build them out of plumb to maintain the correct cavity...

id rather spend me money on a caravan than that crap!

7 minutes ago, Saltmoon said:

I worked with a fella who was 66 at the time years ago and he was the hardest grafter I'd come across work me to the bone but I did it and got on with it then he didn't want to work with no one else. They don't know the meaning of shut the f**k up and get on with it 

One apprentice turned up on Job with his f***ing eye brows shaped like a lady boy and smelt like he was going out on razzle. Went to shop at 10 o'clock bait and hasn't been seen since !! ???

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
2 minutes ago, si brown said:

id say timber framed are even worse quality than traditional build, seen some right shite over the years!

if the timber sections aren't right you either  end up with no cavity or told to build them out of plumb to maintain the correct cavity...

id rather spend me money on a caravan than that crap!

alot of the social housing we do are timber frames ......sooner live in a plastic barrel like my terriers?

• Haha 2