Another gun from the past

Following my delight when my pal turned up with the Gat pistol for me a few weeks ago, he popped in for a coffee today and handed me a seriously rusted 'thing' saying no idea what the hell it is but do you want it. I knew straight away what it was, a Milbro (Diana) .177 junior rifle which I bought for my son back around 1978 - 81. If my memory serves me correctly, they were either made in Scotland or shipped from Scotland.

Now boys this is where you come in because I want to bring it back to life (oh Jimmy, where are you mate) but also to identify what the model is. This rifle is very low powered, I think they were only about 5 - 6fpe when new but I can tell you my son was about 8 to 10 years old when I bought him one of these and he had hundreds of hours of fun shooting at empty 12 gauge cartridges hanging from fishing lines in the cellar. He even took it clay shooting with me so he could shoot at the empty shells at the end of the day.

I remember that little gun (only 32.5'' long) with so much affection I cannot begin to tell you. I have just fired a few pellets, the first two took several attempts then she spat into life producing loopy trajectory even at 20' so it will be safe to say it is never going to be taken hunting but nevertheless I would love to get her nearer to how it used to be.

A few photos

DSCF3584_zpstbermqhq.jpg

DSCF3585_zpsxaynilzj.jpg

DSCF3591_zpsidnspcsg.jpg

DSCF3592_zpsyu4swlcd.jpg

DSCF3589_zpsm1dxkfez.jpg

DSCF3593_zpsstucbdg3.jpg

I hope you can see the barrel is a two part structure with an inner thin barrel and bent tin/metal wrapped around the outside, perhaps the first shrouded air rifle :yahoo:.

Anyone with an idea as to the model, please throw your card in.

Phil

• Like 4

Cheers Si. I am going to try again to contact Milbro if they are still trading because I am pretty sure they were part of, or taken over by Daiwa.

It is only out of interest really. I spoke to my son earlier and told him about the gun, it also took him straight back to those early days 40 years ago.

Phil

Hmmm interesting but of info on the net, this little gun is a Diana model 16. I know there was some connection to a Milbro  but it was a very long time ago.

There is some interesting stuff on the net and although I need to check it out, Chambers carry some spares for the 16 so it could be very handy possibly a new spring etc.

My next door neighbour has something that looks remarkably like this, in similar condition as well.

He asked for some help to zero it a while back, the whole thing was floppy and accuracy was a joke, still was when we finished, lucky to get 2 shots within about 8inches of each other. 

He still has it, shoots at squirrels in the garden, don't think he has ever hit one!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
7 hours ago, philpot said:

Further info shows There are two versions of the Model 16, firstly the Milbro Diana made in Scotland and Original Diana made in Germany. I am pretty sure my son's gun was a Milbro to Diana.

All interesting stuff

Phil

Once its here ill strip it back and see how things are

looking at the pics some of the rust and pitting is not that bad but until iv got it in my hands ill not know

the stock will not be a problem ill soon have that back to looking better than new for you

ill sort the internals out for you but even with a new spring i dont think accuracy will be good lol

but it will do for the grand-kids in your back garden on tin can ally 

nothing better than whacking old tin cans to put a smile on there faces lol

she will be good phil when im done

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had a shot at a plastic chewing gum tub at about 20' Deker which it hit but left no mark on the tub so power is super low although it isn't for hunting it is more for just owning and letting my grandson have a shoot with in the garden so the pigeons are safe, from this gun anyway. The one my son had from new was at the ranges he shot from, pretty accurate in that he and I were able to repeatedly hit small 410 empty cases so not a challenge but great fun.

Not a split Jimmy just a scratch. 

I found a site on how to dismantle this gun and spares Jim so later on today I will find them again and post them on here mate, not that you need any outside help but it will be there as a reference if you need it. 

Again our Jimmy is here to the rescue and take over the restoration of this little gun for which I am very grateful but he knows that. I will get some packing materials from my pal tomorrow when he is back at work and get it sent up there my friend.

Thank you mate.

Phil 

Watch it come today lol

im at work all day so is the wife lol

saw one all done up at my mates the rfd

he told me NOT TO TRY AND TAKE the shroud off

as its compress,t onto the barrel

his was nice real nice but i did not get a pic of it sorry

but on a plus side iv got full use of his work shop and machines

to do the metal work

he may even have some spares he say,d

ill let you know when it gets here phil