3 Legged Worker

An odd question but I have a 18 MTH old terrier that got a bit high strung amongst cattle and ended up with 2 fractures and a  dislocation. The vet  has done his best to patch it up but if its not such good news when cast is off and won't come right which is a 50/50 chance I have a decision to make which is  lying on my head for weeks now . There is the option of amputation. One day I'm thinking it surely can't work with just 3 legs and the other day I wonder. So if anyone has worked a 3 legged terrier TO GROUND it would be interesting to know. 

It’s funny what I dog can do if it wants to with even two leggs let alone 3 ( no I don’t condone keeping a dog with 2 legs ) I’ve seen dogs with back leg missing and front leg missing , if the dog is from good stock and you feel like you owe it  a chance then see how it fairs if it struggles and it’s not fair on her pts if she copes and enjoys her work then so be it 

• Like 2

Personally I’d feel it’s a bit unfair on a dog to work it like that, what about when it comes up against a tight spot, or a sandy spot or a rooty spot where, let’s face it, a dog with 4 legs can struggle to push and dig on through? However it’s ultimately your call HowDeep.

• Like 6

If its the back leg it shouldnt really matter. I knew a lad a few year ago had the same dilema i was in his yard one day he was on about having the bitch pts i asked could i take the bitch to the local vet here which he  agreed vet here amputed the bad leg that night one the girls had the same bitch on a lead at 8 the next morning walking around the green beside the vets just ta keep her quiet the bitch was bouncing rang me ta come in and take her away that lunchtime lol gave me course of anti biotics and ta call back and he take the stitchs out. 

• Like 2

My young dog lost a front leg when he was 10 months old he was ok working drains struggled in tight areas he turned out to be quite hard but was unable to dodge attacks and got a bit damaged my mate took him on as a pet as I don't think he would of lasted long 

• Like 1

It is the back leg alright  just the knuckle up from the paw and I see both sides of it how it should be fine and how it can get him into bother maybe in tight spots. I've moved clay over him once already before the accident so I think maybe I'll give him a chance before bitten the bullet and maybe his leg will come good anyway please god, but I'll see how he gets on good or bad next season maybe pick holes not so deep and I'll let lads know incase they encounter the same situation .  Thanks for the replies

Edited by howdeeposxxt
  • Like 2

Used to be a 3 legger at the South Devon Kennels called Tripod .Black dog with white spots .Seen it do a few shifts myself with no great dramas .They are great adapters to loss of limbs in a very short time .Id be inclined to give the dog the benefit mate and amputate the leg as low as possible .

• Like 4
11 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

Used to be a 3 legger at the South Devon Kennels called Tripod .Black dog with white spots .Seen it do a few shifts myself with no great dramas .They are great adapters to loss of limbs in a very short time .Id be inclined to give the dog the benefit mate and amputate the leg as low as possible .

That's the plan FD I'm hopeful it may come good enough not to amputate anyway the cast is of since last night.  Just have to give a few days now and hope he starts to put weight on it and when he does that it does not dislocate again and if so it will be amputated from the knuckle joint down. He might not have ever even made the grade but they deserve the chance to see what they are made of at least.

• Like 5
  • 7 months later...