Loch awe

Right fellas, I’m off to Loch awe in April, taking my boat this time as well.

looking to get out after some pike, mainly deadbaiting, but will spend some time trolling as well, might even have a go for Ferox.

Anyone on here fished it before, any pointers ?

I trolled on lough corrib in Galway. I  caught a 3 pound trout that day but the fellas with me caught 8 pound , 10 pound , 14 pound and 18 pound all on the same day. 18 pounder was a monster. I have a photo but it wouldn't be right to post on here when someone else is in picture and it's not my catch.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, jiggy said:

I trolled on lough corrib in Galway. I  caught a 3 pound trout that day but the fellas with me caught 8 pound , 10 pound , 14 pound and 18 pound all on the same day. 18 pounder was a monster. I have a photo but it wouldn't be right to post on here when someone else is in picture and it's not my catch.

Fancy sharing some trolling tips, I’ve done plenty of saltwater but never fresh.

3 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Pick me up on route an I’ll show ye best spots ??

No problem, plenty a room on the boat, might be a bit cold and bouncy but you northerners are supposed to be tough ?

43 minutes ago, Rabid said:

Fancy sharing some trolling tips, I’ve done plenty of saltwater but never fresh.

No problem, plenty a room on the boat, might be a bit cold and bouncy but you northerners are supposed to be tough ?

I wouldn't have much experience. I was getting the lads with me to set up my rod. We were using roach hybrid dead baits that the lads said  held together better than pure roach that broke apart quicker. All the big fish were caught in the same small area too. The local lads knew the hotspots but nothing was caught in other areas.

IMG_1183.JPG

IMG_1205.JPG

• Like 2

Ok rabid fished loch awe few times good big trout too be had if your taking your boat it's a big water but try spinning the margins with brown trout rapala countdown lures or number 3 mepps spinners also orange and black tazmanian Devils flying c works well too you can troll with these too there's a good hill loch for pike at port sonnachan on the other side had some double figure pike from it float fished dead bait joey mackerel if you have trouble finding the hill loch ask a local you can't beat local knowledge hope this helps?

• Like 1
On 20/02/2019 at 19:41, pengelli said:

Ok rabid fished loch awe few times good big trout too be had if your taking your boat it's a big water but try spinning the margins with brown trout rapala countdown lures or number 3 mepps spinners also orange and black tazmanian Devils flying c works well too you can troll with these too there's a good hill loch for pike at port sonnachan on the other side had some double figure pike from it float fished dead bait joey mackerel if you have trouble finding the hill loch ask a local you can't beat local knowledge hope this helps?

Thanks for the info, I have a good few Mepps in no3, will have a look at the others you mentioned.

I know portsonnachan as I stayed there once before, not sure I know what you mean by hill loch, please enlighten me as really wanting to get into some pike on this trip, floating a dead bait is one of my preferred methods.

Again, thanks for the info.

4 minutes ago, johnrussell84 said:

My auntie has a caravan on the loch my brothers had some success spinning and dead baiting from the side he’s hit some decent sized. He reckons they ain’t to far out same with some locals. Supposed to be some really monster eels down deep 

It’s a lot of water to cover, but I reckon skirting round the bays will be the way forward depending on what the water temps do in the coming weeks.

Never even gave a thought to eels but I wouldn’t be suprised.

10 hours ago, Rabid said:

Thanks for the info, I have a good few Mepps in no3, will have a look at the others you mentioned.

I know portsonnachan as I stayed there once before, not sure I know what you mean by hill loch, please enlighten me as really wanting to get into some pike on this trip, floating a dead bait is one of my preferred methods.

Again, thanks for the info.

Hi rabid what I meant by hill loch was you need to walk out and into the hills to find them just like a lake out in the hills the one I fished for pike was over the hills near  portsonnachan or fish the bay's on the loch itself try and get some local knowledge tight lines?

• Like 1