Mobile speed camera laws

1 hour ago, W. Katchum said:

I seen a nice Merc jeep a beemer jeep an a Range Rover all on 1 road all clamped, the Fcuking shame of it????? my motor might be held together with gaffs tape but atleast cnut is legal?

When they used to have a spate  in Monmouth it was always cars parked outside the posh boys school that were clamped ?

Just now, forest of dean redneck said:

On 2 wheels or just the rear ?

Funny thing was the old boys with luminous belts and pan European Honda's were fecking fast as feck I struggled to keep up on my gsxr nutter b*****d?

Respect to em though taught me a thing or two..

• Like 1
2 hours ago, trigger2 said:

44 on the clock when I looked.

You might get away with it then....most clocks are between 8 and 10% out....if you have those flashing neon warning signs near schools that flash up your they'll give a fairly accurate reading, check your speed at one,  or a satnav gives you the speed you're actually going.....

47 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Sat nav is way more accurate than your speedo a traffic cop told me

Not totally sure about that unles things have changed, 4 years ago my Mrs got done, 56 in a 50 through roadworks, she got the class and a fine, went to it and of the 19 people attending it 11 were caught driving to the sat nav speed rather than the speedo reading.

The funny part about it all, it was in wales on a work trip, the class was in wales some place as it’s held by the county you get caught in, so she travelled up, stayed the night and did the class then came home, 5 or 6 months later she received a letter from highways policing unit along with a cheque, the camera was not supposed to be in use for whatever reason (think the roadworks were completed but camera still up) so they refunded her, no mention of the day off work, 300 miles travelling or hotel for the night though, in this instance she would have been better taking the points as at least they would have been removed.

Talking of coppers hiding, must be 20+ yr ago I was off to work at 5-30 on a Saturday morning, I was speeding, doing about 45 in a 30, (yeah yeah I know I was wrong) a copper was sat in a Fork of a smallish tree about 6 foot off the ground, I spotted him and braked, he jumped down and flagged me in, all this time I was flabbergasted he was up a tree.

I held my hands up, said it’s not even 6am on a sat morning in a sleepy little village with large areas either side of the road down to grass (where the trees are planted) so visibility was excellent,  I’m late for work and I thought I was maybe just a couple of mph over the limit, he said I clocked you at 43 the first time then 36 the second time, you must have spotted me and braked, learn a lesson from it and slow down, now get on your way. That still sticks in my mind he was up a tree.

17 hours ago, wilbur foxhound said:

If I’m going to cross the road to take my kid to school and hear a vehicle coming I can’t cross as every vehicle is speeding,I live n a little village in a 30 zone and every f****r speeds at an alarming rate,I would gladly have a speed camera outside my house,some cars are doing 70-80 mph

Stick a manakin outside your house with a timing gun in its hand or build a fake camera in your garden if it’s on the road side ?

They can put them anywhere...however to uphold the speeding prosecution they have to be more than 300yards from a change in speed limit and in such a position that a driver noticing them would not increase risk to public or property by suddenly braking.

This was the response from SYP when raised by our parish council. I live in a small village with every road in being 60mph and hardly anyone slows down. There are little paths and a number of areas with no paths. There was 1 position the police could use the camera on the end of a residents drive and the resident refused.

So yes they can put them anywhere but there is restriction on the police upholding tickets.

In the end the police worked with the parish council and used the speed camera but just sent out warning letters to those speeding.

In the first instance I would ignore anyway. If they fill their quota with responses they won't bother you.