Massive albino hob ferret

wilbs

I've never personally been keen on big ferrets as you seem to dig more to them than smaller ones. Anyone who has had one off me off here will know I like my little albino hobs.

I recently picked up a hob from someone off here a decent bloke who needed some ferrets rehoming. The chap who I rehomed it to asked if I would take it with me to give it some graft as there are plenty of bunnies where I am to help bring it on, I took it out today it's only been out a few times it was like watching an old experienced ferret work no messing about walking on top. I did some deep sets and it went right to the bottom fetching them all out f*** me I was well impressed as it's a young ferret it's bloody massive though the size of a cat lol. 

One problem though, I kept it in separate sets from mine but two of the sets were connected my 3 little ferrets came flying out in a line Benny Hill style with him chasing them have never seen ferrets move so fast was only my long net that stopped him from getting them. He has changed my mind about using a bigger ferret and I will definitely have one next season. He is probably the best young ferret I have ever seen work. It's 22.5 inches to his shoulder, I think it's got a bit of bull in him lol ?? I might even take him on site with me labouring lol

• Like 2

Here he is next to my small hob. The bloke I got him from off here said they had been dumped. He will definitely make as good a ferret as I've ever seen, I've always thought it takes at least a season or two for them to know their job. He would have come in handy.a few months ago. I knew he was a decent one when I saw him keep popping his head up and going straight back down. Luckily I do a lot of bolting for the dogs or long netting as there is no way he is getting through a purse net he would struggle through a football net lol.

I have done a bit of filming with him bolting to the dogs today and will try and do a bit more in the next couple of days then that's me about done for ferreting then as there a lot of young uns about now.

I'm off out tonight popping a few bunnies off, weather is a bit crap with the moon being up but it is what it is

IMG-20190216-WA0000.jpg

• Like 2

Those little hobs that I use a couple of years ago a chap called Sid not sure if he is on here did a 7 hour round trip just to grab a couple of small ferrets the nutter ?

Ferrets are one of our best tools but I wouldn't drive 7 hours to get one lol.

Damm he dwarfs the other hob. Not sure if I’d drive 7 hours ?but I’d be willing to travel half that if i could get good hunting bloodlines lucky to have some really good ferrets atm as most guys around my way have some pretty ? ones

3 hours ago, Jackknife said:

Never seen the reasoning on Big lump hobs like that waste of fecking time for me personally, if ya got a use for it fair play not something I'd entertain. 

Couldn't agree with you more but think it's more his natural hunting ability and how quick he has picked it up as hes only been out a few timew rather than how big he is. As we all know sometimes it takes a while for a young ferret to know what there doing and they just skim over the top of the sets leaving plenty of bunnies that are deeper down 

I've been doing a lot of sandy sets today which have been quite deep and I've been checking on him with my Mk3 ferret finder on locate and he's getting to decent depths. I then dropped a couple of my older more experienced hobs after and he hasn't missed many bunnies so am 100% pleased with him.

Also I remember when I had decent sized ferrets years ago it brought back memories of how they work a bit slower  he's probably getting his big arse stuck in the tunnels lol 

• Like 2

I've worked big hobs about 9 years now was given one at the start of the season off a guy who has some of the best land I've ever been on said it always kills rabbits deepest I've dug on his ground is 1 ft grafts really nice seems to really push rabbits out and you can use him all day long smaller ferrets seem to tire by mid day 

• Like 2