I’ve got a Fujifilm finepix s8200, I’m wanting to take pics of dogs out in the field where it basically focus’s on the dog and leaves the background blurry, my mate said it’s something to do with the Aperture? But despite looking on YouTube I can’t suss it out, any help from the camera experts on here will be appreciated. ??

No expert and not familiar with fuji kit, but have a read up on aperture priority setting  most DSLRs seem to have it then select the lowest f stop number. The shutter speed should sort its self out then select the iso brighter the day the lower the iso.

Also set the auto focus point to just the centre.

Not sure if any of that helps mate I could be completely wrong but that's how I set my canon up.

25 minutes ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

Ok mate I’ll have a look, thanks for the advice, I do plan on getting a Canon or a Nikon but got the Fuji for real cheap so thought it would be worth a go.

I believe they make good kit and take good photos mate,  just a matter of getting to know that camera. Photography principals are the same what ever model camera you have.

Just have a play its not like years ago when you had to pay for film development ?

• Thanks 1

Sorry to go over it mate, I’m a bit thick! But would you say the lower the aperture the more blurry the background ? I’ve just had it on the aperture mode and it seems there’s 3 settings, 2.4, 3.8 and then 8.4 I think it was, so would the lowest number give me the desired effect, or is there more to it??

6 minutes ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

Sorry to go over it mate, I’m a bit thick! But would you say the lower the aperture the more blurry the background ? I’ve just had it on the aperture mode and it seems there’s 3 settings, 2.4, 3.8 and then 8.4 I think it was, so would the lowest number give me the desired effect, or is there more to it??

42 minutes ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

Yeah mate try the lowest number if you can change the focus points it should blow out the back ground

• Thanks 1

Depth of field , or blurry bits is a combination of two things , aperture and distance to subject compared with background . Smaller f stop I.e .2.8 over say f8 will give a shallower depth of field . Add in being closer to subject that too shallows , so ideal world , wide ( low number ) aperture , subject close and background a way away . 

• Like 1