Lurcher Litters

Im just curious to know how it works with crosses that contain roughly the same % of blood from different breeds say for instance a bull/grey/deerhound cross do litters tend to be quite uniform or do you get odd pups that have obviously thrown to the bull side or greyhound side etc ?.....and if so did it stay that way until adulthood.

Years ago with the bulldogs i could often tell which pups of a litter had thrown to a certainly family within the same breed if they were tightly bred so im trying to get my head round how the variation works when a litter has maybe 3 or 4 different breeds in their make up.

• Like 1

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just too add but the pure Wheaton sire used was an out and out dog killer but the dog pup I kept has no aggression at all but fires into game. I was very edgy when he matured because my woman has 3 bi

Similar to myself i think id be quite happy with a casual mooch and possibly something for the pot during the week,but wouldnt be the end of the world if the dog caught nothing...simplicity is the goa

Not one was the same out the litters I done all different hights,builds,coat but on the mums side because they were close line bred the person that bred the dam they bred uniformed you could guarantee

Posted Images

Not one was the same out the litters I done all different hights,builds,coat but on the mums side because they were close line bred the person that bred the dam they bred uniformed you could guarantee the height,coat,build 

57612BBA-C16F-4633-B9B7-A4742BD9F43E.jpeg

• Like 5
5 minutes ago, Criss86 said:

Another nice dog mate they both look well handy what's in thereliance breeding to look so different if you don't mind me asking? 

The mum was a line bred collie/greyhound x whippet/greyhound with a small drop of deerhound blood the person started the line in 86 with a handcock f1 to a f1 deerhound greyhound then to whippet greyhound then close bred from then on I bred to a f1 bedlington greyhound because I felt that’s what was needed for my needs it wasn’t easy finding a bedlington greyhound that was the real deal an a genuine dog as they come but got there in the end but trying to keep my own bred stuff if I can just because I know what’s in there that way

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, poxon said:

The mum was a line bred collie/greyhound x whippet/greyhound with a small drop of deerhound blood the person started the line in 86 with a handcock f1 to a f1 deerhound greyhound then to whippet greyhound then close bred from then on I bred to a f1 bedlington greyhound because I felt that’s what was needed for my needs it wasn’t easy finding a bedlington greyhound that was the real deal an a genuine dog as they come but got there in the end but trying to keep my own bred stuff if I can just because I know what’s in there that way

That sounds like some serious thought and breeding went in to them mate from then to now. There a credit to you by the looks of it. It seems a lot of people on here breed there own is that more because of the ground and quarry you go for or more of the case like you said you know what's in them? Was the deerhound back then used more a working dog than now they seem more ped than workers? I am just a novice when it comes to runners so always looking for info hope that's algood lol

5 minutes ago, Criss86 said:

Another nice dog mate they both look well handy what's in thereliance breeding to look so different if you don't mind me asking? 

5 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

Im just curious to know how it works with crosses that contain roughly the same % of blood from different breeds say for instance a bull/grey/deerhound cross do litters tend to be quite uniform or do you get odd pups that have obviously thrown to the bull side or greyhound side etc ?.....and if so did it stay that way until adulthood.

Years ago with the bulldogs i could often tell which pups of a litter had thrown to a certainly family within the same breed if they were tightly bred so im trying to get my head round how the variation works when a litter has maybe 3 or 4 different breeds in their make up.

I bred a litter of pure Wheaton to pure greyhound and some were small and Cobby but others were tall and racey. Personally if I was after a running dog and was given a choice of pups from a litter I'd pick the pup with the longest back that would throw back to the greyhound. Some of the short backed pups with good heads turned out to be too terrier like and grow up to be slow runners and looked like a weak version of a pure Wheaton. Depends what you are after. If I was breeding again I would choose a taller gamey greyhound because none of the litter made over 24 inchs but were nice dogs with plenty of grit. Having said that I've seen some 1/4 Wheaton x 3/4 greyhound that turned out 28 inchs to the shoulder. Huge big guts and glory dogs that would hit a hedge suicidal and you would be biting your lip to see would they roll out the other side alive. Fast dogs but if a fox jinked then they needed the turning space of a battleship to get back on terms. It depends on what your running gnasher and what type of terrain. The pup I kept is about 23 or maybe 24 inchs. He will catch and kill foxes no problem which is still legal in Ireland but because of him been a first cross a daytime hare would straight line him and leave him for dead. He suits me though because  I hunt small fields for foxes only and he is a gamey dog. There is no rabbits here but plenty of hares but I've no interest in them. Again it depends on your ground. If I had an interest in hares on open ground then I'd add more greyhound and run a 27 inch plus racey type.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, poxon said:

Not one was the same out the litters I done all different hights,builds,coat but on the mums side because they were close line bred the person that bred the dam they bred uniformed you could guarantee the height,coat,build 

57612BBA-C16F-4633-B9B7-A4742BD9F43E.jpeg

Are the legs black or is that mud? Nice racey dog either way.