THE LUNATIC

micky

micky touched on fighting with other netters in his post. a couple of Derbyshire towns well known for netting years ago. lots of tales were they would get on set & find someone else's nets already set they would then cut both lines & mesh. fxck knows if they could see state of things today what they would make of rabbit population & the fxxking nanny state. 

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dropped my grandson off at a little bit that we have permission on the borders a small shooting estate with 2 25yds preset nets a dozen purse nets and 2 ferrets and a little lurcher bitch, around 2pm

fxck it I will start you off. the old chap who showed me how to peg many years ago. (traditional) had 63 on one drop. this was using 3 nets the preferred length around here has always been 70 yards. h

Back in  1950 there was a crew of blokes at it in the Evington area of Leicestershire and over the week they had made some good bags ,one of them was Oliver B and I had known him most of my life a nic

Posted Images

Remember listening to tales of pegging on the Wentworth Estate by the late Bush Mangam and some of the run ins they had and old Bush was no stranger to violence remember him getting 18 months jail at the age of 72 for poaching birds and actual bodily harm. I had some shifts out with a team of peggers around me in the 80s 4 drops we did on one windy night think we ended up with about 70 odd rabbits it was hard graft I know that and even though they were mates they used to moan like feck about lamping with lurchers witch was beginning to get popular around s.yorks in the late 70s early 80s.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, fred90 said:

read something recently in papers quite a bit of scandal back then. owner & kennedys sister died in plane crash 

The Miners union bought it and put a slag heap ten feet from the front door , There is a book BLACK DIAMONDS  fantastic read.

1 hour ago, micky said:

The Miners union bought it and put a slag heap ten feet from the front door , There is a book BLACK DIAMONDS  fantastic read.

Manny Shinwell the labour minister for power authorised open cast mining after the war and turned the estate into a big slag heap for a wile just out of spite and vindictiveness for the landed gentry the miners union never bought Wentworth Woodhouse which now belongs to a trust after having a few private owners.

• Like 1

Back in  1950 there was a crew of blokes at it in the Evington area of Leicestershire and over the week they had made some good bags ,one of them was Oliver B and I had known him most of my life a nice bloke and at that time he had ten kids  [ending with 16] . After their last outing  it was decided that their two nets needed a top and bottom line and as Oliver lived close to Bilson and Grant Boat Chandlers he was delegated to fetch it , he got the line and receipt for 4 Shillings  [20 pence ] and later met up with Boys for a drink and hand the line over to be strung , Two day later the Police came round  and took him in , the kept him all night and in the morning he was interviewed  by the Chief Constable and the High Sheriff of Leicester , the first thing that he was told was that  : that it was a topping offence because the Woman was dead  : What had happened the other three men had done their money on ale the gone out and robbed a local Bookmaker called Clarricoats  he was not in at the time but his Mother was and they tied her up with the new line  which the police traced back to Oliver through the receipt , of course Olliver shit his self and named them  straight away  two of them got 5 years and  the third man Harry J got 9 years PD and even now 70 years down the line people still argue over it .

• Like 4