The other day I thought that I saw a wasp zooming around the back door. Today I did see either the same or another. Still I suppose it's about time. I usually check the sheds in March to se if the blighters are starting to build.  If insects are going to be wiped out lets start with wasps, mosquitoes,  fleas, and ticks. I don't like wasps and mosies and the spaniel dont like fleas and ticks so there's 2 votes to start with !  Anyone else Seen any?

Wasps are little fcukers at the end of the year but are great wee things early in the year. Love watching them pulling bugs off of plants in the spring and early summer when they won’t look twice at you. Different story mid August BBQ when they’re twice the fcukin size and you’re swatting squadrons of the things off your beer.

Although I haven’t seen a ‘bad’ wasp year for at least a decade. Thin end of the wedge if the wappies go ??

Edited by pesky1972
  • Like 2
11 minutes ago, wildman said:

Saw a bumble bee yesterday in the allotments had to look twice. As for insects disserpering what a load of shit who makes this crap up.

Seeing wasps and bees so early really isn't a good sign ?

I'd say insects definitely are disappearing. Remember how your car once got covered in flies and insects on a long drive. When was the last time you saw a van or wagon plastered in dead insects? 

most pestys love wasps.....ok I know its about £££....and we all hate getting stung......but I can tell you there a fascinating little creature ....and when you think about there skill at building ...and the way they live together for the good of each other....leson to be learned there for us humans maybe....

in a way there lives are almost like pure or perfect communism .....

• Like 1

I did see a worker bee yesterday. It was just resting and soaking  up the Sun. The other year we had a ccouple of bumblebees  resting. They just looked like dead. I read up on Google and as a result I put a bee onto a blob of water with a few grains of sugar added. Very soon I could see that its feedIng tube was workiñg and refueled  it later took off.  My good deed for the day.. The other year a swarm of bees were in a tall fir hedge over the road. They were massed in  A massive moving ball over the footpath along which mothers were bringing  their kids home from school.  None of them noticed this swarm above them and I could imagine someone getting seriously stung if the ball of swarming bees fell down on someone so quickly made up a couple of warning signs out of a cardboard box and stood on this side of the road telling the women about the swarm above the path.  The swarm activity reduced and next day they were goñe. For many years bees nested in a big forked tree in the orchards but one year there was a hornets nest in the woods and they destroyed the bees nest. The bees haven't returned for the last three years.

I got another tin of wasp killer in for the summer only a quid but the last few years have been really quiet but normally there in eating the ferrets carcasses  and either me or the ferrets get stung 

3 hours ago, Meece said:

I did see a worker bee yesterday. It was just resting and soaking  up the Sun. The other year we had a ccouple of bumblebees  resting. They just looked like dead. I read up on Google and as a result I put a bee onto a blob of water with a few grains of sugar added. Very soon I could see that its feedIng tube was workiñg and refueled  it later took off.  My good deed for the day.. The other year a swarm of bees were in a tall fir hedge over the road. They were massed in  A massive moving ball over the footpath along which mothers were bringing  their kids home from school.  None of them noticed this swarm above them and I could imagine someone getting seriously stung if the ball of swarming bees fell down on someone so quickly made up a couple of warning signs out of a cardboard box and stood on this side of the road telling the women about the swarm above the path.  The swarm activity reduced and next day they were goñe. For many years bees nested in a big forked tree in the orchards but one year there was a hornets nest in the woods and they destroyed the bees nest. The bees haven't returned for the last three years.

unlike wasps ..honey bees can be seen all year round or there abouts....theres a wild honey bee nest on my daily dog walks...its in a crack in a ash tree...been there at least 4 years....warm days like today you can watch them coming out....

oh and in most cases swarms of bees are usualy quite harmless....

1 hour ago, TOMO said:

unlike wasps ..honey bees can be seen all year round or there abouts....theres a wild honey bee nest on my daily dog walks...its in a crack in a ash tree...been there at least 4 years....warm days like today you can watch them coming out....

oh and in most cases swarms of bees are usualy quite harmless....

The bee nest across the orchards was in a crack in the fork of a BIG ash and it had been there for  many years until the hornets attacked and distroyed it. There was another bee nest in the chimney / roof of an old house across a road from the orchard. I dont know if the hornets distroyed that one also.  Previous to the swarm over the road I'd only ever encountered  one swarm and that was when I drove through  one whilst driving. When I saw the swarm in the hedge and the mother's with kids  My first  thought was to  make  people aware of it above their heads. They seemed completely  oblivious to the thousands of bees swarming  overhead.

Edited by Meece
12 hours ago, TOMO said:

most pestys love wasps.....ok I know its about £££....and we all hate getting stung......but I can tell you there a fascinating little creature ....and when you think about there skill at building ...and the way they live together for the good of each other....leson to be learned there for us humans maybe....

in a way there lives are almost like pure or perfect communism .....

They are all family so you would expect them to get on ok......hell of a family though, and certainly better than a good number of human families. :thumbs: