Foxes Galore

Me and Jack went out for a few hours the other night. It had been pishing down the night before, but it was dry and overcast when we got there about 8.45, with the rain not to due start again till later.

The first shine of the lamp lit up a vixen who didn't seem bothered by our presence, but a quick squeak to make her look round and an excellent (if I say so myself) offhand shot from about 120 yards and she was in the bag. Could have been no more than 2 minutes after we got there. A short while later,  we saw a fox eating something, which turned out to be a bread roll. He alternated between tucking into his packed lunch and looking up as us. Another offhand shot and a big dog fox bit the dust. Great thick winter coat on him. It was only when we picked him up we realised how much of a monster he was. 

I passed the gun to Jack for his turn. As per usual, it went quiet for a while, so time for a coffee break. He soon got his first of the evening. A mangy vixen. Her coat wasn't that bad, but her tail was and she stank to high heaven. This was the first mangy one for a long time.

20190207_214220.jpg.044ca546b9468b36660e58cd812811d4.jpg

We saw more fox activity than we had the last few outings, but none in a suitable place to shoot. It wasn't long though, till Jack took a safe shot and bagged his second of the night. Another dog. 

I took the gun back as there was no way he was going to shoot more than me with my gun. :nono: It went quiet for a while then 2 more came in quick succession. Another vixen, and a dog that was also eating something. He was deep in the bushes. We could see him clearly with the XQ but only the eyes with the lamp. We manoeuvered into a position where I could see him clearly. By then we were only 60 yards from him but he was in no rush to finish his grub, and that was his last meal.

Our record is 7 in one evening and we were hoping to equal or better that record, but sadly we didn't see any more and then the rain started, so we called it a night. We got back to the car at 00.45, so a decent tally for 4 hours of 3 dogs and 3 vixens. Probably would have stayed out longer if it wasn't for the rain.

18 minutes ago, walshie said:

Me and Jack went out for a few hours the other night. It had been pishing down the night before, but it was dry and overcast when we got there about 8.45, with the rain not to due start again till later.

The first shine of the lamp lit up a vixen who didn't seem bothered by our presence, but a quick squeak to make her look round and an excellent (if I say so myself) offhand shot from about 120 yards and she was in the bag. Could have been no more than 2 minutes after we got there. A short while later,  we saw a fox eating something, which turned out to be a bread roll. He alternated between tucking into his packed lunch and looking up as us. Another offhand shot and a big dog fox bit the dust. Great thick winter coat on him. It was only when we picked him up we realised how much of a monster he was. 

I passed the gun to Jack for his turn. As per usual, it went quiet for a while, so time for a coffee break. He soon got his first of the evening. A mangy vixen. He coat wasn't that bad, but her tail was and she stank to high heaven. This was the first mangy one for a long time.

20190207_214220.jpg.044ca546b9468b36660e58cd812811d4.jpg

We saw more fox activity than we had the last few outings, but none in a suitable place to shoot. It wasn't long though, till Jack took a safe shot and bagged his second of the night. Another dog. 

I took the gun back as there was no way he was going to shoot more than me with my gun. :nono: It went quiet for a while then 2 more came in quick succession. Another vixen, and a dog that was also eating something. He was deep in the bushes. We could see him clearly with the XQ but only the eyes with the lamp. We manoeuvered into a position where I could see him clearly. By then we were only 60 yards from him but he was in no rush to finish his grub, and that was his last meal.

Our record is 7 in one evening and we were hoping to equal or better that record, but sadly we didn't see any more and then the rain started, so we called it a night. We got back to the car at 00.45, so a decent tally for 4 hours of 3 dogs and 3 vixens. Probably would have stayed out longer if it wasn't for the rain.

Leave the foxes for the terrier lads and the hounds ffs

Cheers, D.

• Haha 1

Foxes:

Yes it must have been a good year (last year) for them (Foxy Loxy).

Been out stalking today and when speaking with the farmer he told me that on their Christmas family 'anything goes, pheasants + shoot' (in January) with 8 guns and in our best stalking woods amongst

a good few gamebirds they shot 6 foxes and saw several more. Last week in the high seat (same wood) I had 2 Fox come within 20 yards of me, and 'would of' except I couldn't risk the noise, as

I had seen several Roe near bye.

I guess the hunting ban has really started to kick in after all these years??

AF