Worst mole trap ever, for me ! (Putange)

6 minutes ago, bunnyboiler said:

My mistake I thought you was the fella who put the videos up and sold some putangs on here a while ago I’m sure his name was Clive ? 

Yes, that's me. But I think Socks was posting about putanges long before then.

I was surprised how many people wanted them. I'd got a couple of hundred from a wholesaler; some for me and some to bring over. Then the orders kept coming and coming. I knew that I couldn't get any more from the wholesaler in time so I was going into every DIY and garden shop in the area buying everything they had. At that time nearly all the shops had good quality French made traps, but they typically only had 10 or 12 in stock. I think I ended up bringing over 700 back with me ? 

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just popped in to settle a few points. The OP, Mr. McWhinney has made a right tool of himself sending threatening emails to the ebay seller after he unsuccessfully tried to blag the name of the manufa

Mole-catching is a testosterone-fuelled and very serious business. You have to be tough to tackle a mole(a big male can reach seven inches and tear a worm apart in seconds!),and defend your methods,tr

? earth thrower. I know you'll be reading! ?

Posted Images

There's not many tunnels that wide that the putange won't do when the triggers on it's  side, they're a Godsend when there's multiple tunnels to. 

Obviously you'll still get the odd brain box that'll backfill you, but just like yourself I use the talpex on those or just keep telling myself  "it can't keep being lucky" ?

20190210_122148.jpg

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, stormyboy said:

They're my go to trap unless I get wide tunnels, when I use barrels. And of course talpex for soft soil or persistent backfilling

Have you tried putting the putanges in with the prongs horizontal in the wide tunnels (I call them 'Joan Collins tunnels')? If you place them tight to the side of the tunnel and slightly push the lower prong into the tunnel base it works better than the prongs up approach I usually use in 'Kylie Minogue tunnels'.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
12 hours ago, Nicepix said:

Yes, that's me. But I think Socks was posting about putanges long before then.

I was surprised how many people wanted them. I'd got a couple of hundred from a wholesaler; some for me and some to bring over. Then the orders kept coming and coming. I knew that I couldn't get any more from the wholesaler in time so I was going into every DIY and garden shop in the area buying everything they had. At that time nearly all the shops had good quality French made traps, but they typically only had 10 or 12 in stock. I think I ended up bringing over 700 back with me ? 

It’s definitely you then mate I was struggling at first then you helped me out with a few emails as I said hats of and thanks for the advice ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Am I being simple here, spent a few days at my place in Normandy last weekend and travelled through Putanges on the way....have I put 2+2 together and made 4 or 5?

Lots of moles in a few fiends but in fairness, loads of field completely devoid?

8 minutes ago, Deker said:

Am I being simple here, spent a few days at my place in Normandy last weekend and travelled through Putanges on the way....have I put 2+2 together and made 4 or 5?

Lots of moles in a few fiends but in fairness, loads of field completely devoid?

Hi Deker,  There is a place in France called Putanges, but I'm not sure whether there is any connection with the mole traps of the same name. The story about the origins of the putange traps is that they were used in the grounds of the Versailles Palace in the 17th century as posted above. I haven't seen anything to confirm that they were specifically designed for that job or whether they were in use before then but got their fame through the royal connections.

• Like 1

Hi Jamie, Thanks and I hope everything is well with you. To be honest I think that forums such as this have had their day as can be seen from the lack of posts.

How close are you to retirement? There will be a mole trapping / pest control business coming up for sale out here in a couple of years time ?

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Nicepix said:

Hi Jamie, Thanks and I hope everything is well with you. To be honest I think that forums such as this have had their day as can be seen from the lack of posts.

How close are you to retirement? There will be a mole trapping / pest control business coming up for sale out here in a couple of years time ?

I wish ! I have cut back a bit of late, apparently I had a small stroke back in September, I'm not totally convinced though.

I would sell up and move to France tomorrow, but my health needs are quite complex now so I don't think we will ever be able to make the move. There's a realistic possibility of us buying a small place still though for holidays for us and the family, maybe even a bit of rental if we find something nice in the right area.

Its still so rediculously cheap to buy over there (except Ile de rhe) ?

I look forward to seeing more of your posts.

Jamie.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your health problems. Not good for a young lad like you.

The French health system is second to none and anyone who registers as self-employed gets access to it for themselves and their immediate family. You just have to pay whatever top up insurance you feel OK with, but its usually not much and any care for things like heart problems, strokes and cancer are 100% free once you are in the system. And they don't exclude pre-existing conditions. Our top up is around €800 each per year and it is like being on BUPA for health care and the Westfield scheme for the top up. Out of the €800 I can get new spec's every year and get my teeth done free.

The properties are very cheap compared to the UK, but if you know where to look, they are some even less expensive ones that many buyers never get to know about. I've found perfectly good houses ideal for holiday homes or living in for less than €20,000. The Notaires often have properties for sale that have been empty for years and will often take a fraction of the asking price. Same with the Social Services. They take over properties to pay for some old dear's care in a nursing home and sell the houses at a fraction of their worth. Even at the top end, you can shave off a fortune. Some friends of ours asked me to look at a couple of properties for them out our way, but their dream property near to Bergerac was supposedly out of reach at €450k. They 'only' had €300k to spend which I thought was ample. On my advice they made an offer between half and two-thirds of the asking price and stood firm on the first rejection. A week later they got the house for a lot less than their budget.

Whilst on the Il de Re houses might be out of reach you'll find very affordable ones just inland around Marans and Marennes.

Setting up as a Micro-Entrepreneur involves a one week induction course in French that costs about €600. You can get French speakers to accompany you and translate for about €400 and any UK qualifications for acquisition and use of rodenticide are currently transferable onto the French system. There is loads of work for the  British residents and holiday home owners in mice, rats, loir, lerots and even fouines, the stone martens. Then there is the insects; wasps, Asian hornets and cluster flies that I don't get involved with, but receive plenty of enquiries for. And of course, the mole trapping. If you look at where Ryanair and the other cheap carriers fly to over here you will find a market for pest control as that is where a lot of Brits are based.  All you need is a monthly advert in the local ex-pat magazine for the region at around €30 - €40 per month and you should be able to quickly build up a business.

• Like 1

Blimey that's a reply and a half Clive! ?

I think we would have gone for it without a doubt twenty years ago. 

I still like the idea of buying a little place over there and spending what time we can there. As I'm slowly slipping into semi retirement I'm getting more time on my hands. Mel being a chimney sweep is crazy busy eight months of the year, but we get a few months where we could slip away.

The smallholding here takes up a huge amount of time and effort, but looks like I may have found a guy that might want a few hours locally.

I give a lot of mole work away now also to a good mate who is just starting out, he's keen as mustard.

What on earth are you going to do with all your time if you retire? Going fishing?

Lunching out? Lovely.

Regards,

Jamie.

• Like 1