Worst mole trap ever, for me ! (Putange)

On 22/02/2019 at 19:45, earth-thrower said:

Aye, a noticed too them wee Traplines were never cheap, for what they were ! reasonably well constructed too (more than the Putange, i reckon,. Iol)....but that's all i will say,....

And the ability to make those multiple sets in one location is also the Putangues biggest drawback; overlooked traps left in the ground and lost forever. I did an inventory of mine the other day and calculated at a 20% loss over a 3 year period. This is probably mainly due to the fact I stopped making notes about trap numbers and locations on each job in favour of relying on markers being left alone and memory on unmarked sites but even so... it a a bit painful. Of course there are many other reasons; gardeners raking away/running over markers with a lawn mower, badgers carrying off carcass+trap,  me simply overlooking the odd set here and there, pulling traps in the dark and not loading them directly into my box... there are a million ways to lose a putangue. 

• Like 1

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just popped in to settle a few points. The OP, Mr. McWhinney has made a right tool of himself sending threatening emails to the ebay seller after he unsuccessfully tried to blag the name of the manufa

Mole-catching is a testosterone-fuelled and very serious business. You have to be tough to tackle a mole(a big male can reach seven inches and tear a worm apart in seconds!),and defend your methods,tr

? earth thrower. I know you'll be reading! ?

Posted Images

Its not the putange's drawback. Its human error and bad luck. A couple of weeks ago I put two stainless putanges in a grass verge at the side of a lane to head off a mole reaching my customer's garden while I was away on holiday. I marked it with a discrete plastic plant marker. Literally 30 minutes before I returned to the location the groundsman cut the verge using an industrial Iseki tractor that totally removed all trace of the trap site. I need a metal detector to find them again.

In the same week I've lost an original stainless Flatpack due to contractors scraping the soil away where the trap was located. I can't replace that as the newer Flatpacks aren't anywhere near as good. But I can easily replace the putanges.

If I put three putanges in a trap site or one to a tunnel trap site I always put a purple plant marker somewhere in the trap site to remind me to loom for the third trap. Surprising how many times that third trap is the one that catches. Far more than the average. And I list the number of traps put out at each location. I still mislay a few, but not as many as I would if I didn't keep notes.

The biggest problem with putanges at this time of year is mice and voles making nests in the trap sites and gnawing through the twine. It is a constant job replacing the traps and then when I've got about 20 or so having a twine tying session.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Nicepix said:

Its not the putange's drawback. Its human error and bad luck. A couple of weeks ago I put two stainless putanges in a grass verge at the side of a lane to head off a mole reaching my customer's garden while I was away on holiday. I marked it with a discrete plastic plant marker. Literally 30 minutes before I returned to the location the groundsman cut the verge using an industrial Iseki tractor that totally removed all trace of the trap site. I need a metal detector to find them again.

In the same week I've lost an original stainless Flatpack due to contractors scraping the soil away where the trap was located. I can't replace that as the newer Flatpacks aren't anywhere near as good. But I can easily replace the putanges.

If I put three putanges in a trap site or one to a tunnel trap site I always put a purple plant marker somewhere in the trap site to remind me to loom for the third trap. Surprising how many times that third trap is the one that catches. Far more than the average. And I list the number of traps put out at each location. I still mislay a few, but not as many as I would if I didn't keep notes.

The biggest problem with putanges at this time of year is mice and voles making nests in the trap sites and gnawing through the twine. It is a constant job replacing the traps and then when I've got about 20 or so having a twine tying session.

I only have 3 golf courses and only do a few domestic mole jobs per year, but i use construction line marking paint instead of markers and if the green keeper cuts the grass you can still see some of the paint and it will not be seen  after a few weeks.

• Like 2

I usually use orange paint to mark putange sites in customer's gardens. But this was in a public place so I used a more discrete marker. There are newly introduced by-laws about people using marker paint on the roads and verges as every time there is a cycle race or building work people were spraying arrows and directions all over the place. I think it might also be something to do with the 'Anti Macron' markings on all the local roads ?

A friend of a friend heard about my using paint to mark trap sites so he went out and bought some green spray paint to mark his own traps sites. :doh:

• Haha 1
On 22/02/2019 at 20:48, Nicepix said:

You took against putanges right from the start. Well before you actually handled one you were giving your negative comments about them. And, yes you are obsessed. Just look at your posting history. Ruminating over every little detail and making post after post containing a combination of snide comments and self-acclaim. They are littered with hypocrisy and lies. When you are asked direct questions you fail to answer them. "I might have emailed the putange guy......" Anything but an admission.

Top and bottom is that you are jealous. Jealous that the world has passed you by and nobody takes you seriously. Jealous of the attention others are getting. And jealous that some people on here are able to help others in a way that you never have been able to. Not once have you managed to contribute anything positive and it grates on you that others are able to and receive recognition for it.

You are yesterday's man at best. But more likely you are a nobody who desperately wanted to be somebody.

Oh im taking a back seat alright, dont you worry. But i had to come back, cause your not getting away with this, here. & this whole "jealousy" part, well your totally wrong there, & im afraid you just dont get it,...... It seems to me YOUR, looking for the "attention" by trying to tell & show all you know, & to the extent of making films  ?,....& why would i want too "help others" automatically ? ,.cause im not looking for any 'pat on the back' or to "'receive recognition for it" for doing so,  ARE YOU ? ,....& i will think youll find that generally alot who are fairly experienced, etc, rarely want to  reveal all they know,.....& theres reasons for that. Mole catchings  tended to be a closely guarded thing , as regards revealing the methods (well previously, at least) .....but youve got certain ones like yourself repeatedly coming out nowadays, who want to shout about all they know ?,......& in your case showing everybody and anybody, a potentially easier trap to work with, etc,........its not necessarily a good thing , as it just encourages more and more folk to try & get into it , thinking its an easy earner, etc !,.......i mean hasnt there now been enough exposure to the game  ?,.......& arent there enough (so called ) mole catchers already ?,..........& your talking about "self-acclaim" ?,......i think you better examine youself here,....lol,.....& ive no problem answering straight questions, or admitting who ive "emailed", so get f***ing real , here !,.............Now i may be completely wrong here , & if so i will ADMIT it,..lol,........but i heard a rumour (ages ago on here now) that you are EX - PLOD ! , (tells me alot, here  !  lol).....( but have retired to France) ,.....is that correct or not ? ,........cause if so , it doesnt surprise me one bit,.....cause of the sheer arrogance you display. Its gonna take a better man than you, to try and put me down here,....ok ?,.........you were also shown the ropes by an old friend/ aquaintance , initially & given an introduction (with the British traps),......but granted, you certainly know your stuff regarding this French trap, now,......but YOU try & teach youself from the start, making all kinds of mistakes, like i did ,.......to where i am now, being content with my capture rate, etc,........& then maybe i will listen to you !  ( i had a go before when you were on here,.....cause you couldnt shut up !,.......& you challenged me that i couldnt help somebody,.......then i proceeded to give the guy my complete experience and tips, with the scissor trap !,....only cause you called me out, right enough ! lol),....please let me know if you want me to search, for the post ?

Edited by earth-thrower
On 22/02/2019 at 19:38, tilimangro said:

As you were the guy that came back from storming off because the “mole games f****d” to tell us all about the dvd  You saw that explained to you how inhane most mole traps are you’ll forgive me if I don’t take a bit of notice about your worthless opinion on this matter

both Jeff and Martin have proved them selves to be dishonest individuals and as you’re jeffs mate I’ll grant you the same level of respect as they get from me

Why would i  possibly want your " level of respect " ?,.....are you for real here ?

• Haha 2
14 hours ago, tilimangro said:

Hes a strange one 

but then all these guild types are 

I honestly just dont get you , (& ive answered what youve said before) whats wrong in your head ,... with these constant assumptions, that obviously whizz round in it  ? ( & just wrong of course)

Edited by earth-thrower
  • Haha 2
On 22/02/2019 at 13:28, Nicepix said:

Putanges have been in use for over 300 years and so there is absolutely no chance of anyone registering the design or patenting them. There are also many variations of the design. That makes it harder for anyone to champion this type of trap as there isn't the monetary incentive. At the end of the day it should be up to Ministry officials to determine what type of trap is humane or not, but given the results of a similar test a few years ago the results are swayed by their lack of experience and knowledge. Also, the only trap I've found that can be used efficiently straight out of the box is the Talpex. Even then I prefer to polish the tip of the rod and hole. The latest Flatpack tunnel traps I received about three years ago required serious work. At least with the putanges it is only a matter of tying on the trigger.

In around five years of using the putanges I have had three foul captures; one by the wrist, one by the 'finger nail' and one by the very tip of its nose. I don't use them all the time as some soil types are better suited to Talpex or tunnel traps. But at any one time I've got over 200 putanges permanently in the ground so that is a fair sample. 

I wonder what Jeff Nicholls or the Guild would say about using 19th century traps when efficient modern traps are available?

That last sentence,.......so you think you know me ?,.....well, you better think again ! (fool),...why would i seek Jeff or the Guilds approval ?,... i operate how I want. (& always will !)

Edited by earth-thrower
On 22/02/2019 at 20:32, tilimangro said:

here we go,youre just like your guild counterparts

unable to answer straight questions

you know what ,youre doing a good enough job  of embaressing yourself crack on with it

no doubt youre alluding to strychnine but thats more hyperbole from you

the guy who would never use putanges,then bought some,couldnt use them and then says he doesnt like them because theyre too easy to use even though he cant use them .

rush home kev your village is missing its idiot

& my "guild counterparts" ???,.....how many times have  i addressed this with you ?,......whats wrong that nothing ever seems to sink in with you ?,.....what a f...y !

• Haha 2
On 23/02/2019 at 09:46, Nicepix said:

He has no intention of leaving. It's just attention seeking hoping someone might beg him to stay.

I dont know who you think you are here ?,......& what a cheap shot, youve took here,....(once im finished with you,...the intention is to stay quiet ! lol)

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Occh fcuk off an away an whine somewhere else your just spamming the thread 

thats too bad !,....but, you can f**k off if you want ?,.......or if you cant handle it ?       Youve got a point right enough, nothing more to be said,...so i will go ?

Edited by earth-thrower
  • Thanks 2
19 hours ago, Nicepix said:

Aye, you're probably right, but I would still maintain that a muddy old putangue placed down on the grass in poor light quickly disappears from sight in a way a Talpex or Duffus never would.

I've got a little tool I use made out of a cheap pressed metal spanner that I purloined from an old skilsaw which I use to probe the mole run to make judgements about width and direction. It has a curved end like a little drag scraper which is useful for removing stones and excess spoil. It's very valuable to me and so I've attached a lanyard with a bright pink poker chip to make it easier to spot. The amount of time I've spent searching for that must run into hours...

Talking about mice and voles, the putangues catch a few of them too!