Worst mole trap ever, for me ! (Putange)

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just popped in to settle a few points. The OP, Mr. McWhinney has made a right tool of himself sending threatening emails to the ebay seller after he unsuccessfully tried to blag the name of the manufa

Mole-catching is a testosterone-fuelled and very serious business. You have to be tough to tackle a mole(a big male can reach seven inches and tear a worm apart in seconds!),and defend your methods,tr

? earth thrower. I know you'll be reading! ?

Posted Images

Do any of the rest of you actually believe that I'm unaware folk know their stuff , about how they choose to carry out their chosen method, etc ,.....of course I do , but I keep you all going anyway, & you seem more than up for it, & give as good as you get ? (Its a mistake to take things , too serious)

Sorry Iv skipped to the last page as it was getting embarrassing. 

What is the small change that Jeff Nicholls suggests that will make mole trapping more humane. I'd like to see his dvd but don't want to pay him after I once bought his book and thought it was useless. 

I agree that half barrels are a bit inhumane. If you catch a couple hundred moles on a job (I rarely do farms these days) then a fair number will be belly caught or even caught by the foot no matter how much tweaking you do. 

Dont like how Jeff sent his dvd to groups like the rspca, seems more like self publicity than anything else. 

Stop arguing about traps lads it's cringe worthy 

Edited by DIDO.1
  • Like 2
16 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

Sorry Iv skipped to the last page as it was getting embarrassing. 

What is the small change that Jeff Nicholls suggests that will make mole trapping more humane. I'd like to see his dvd but don't want to pay him after I once bought his book and thought it was useless. 

I agree that half barrels are a bit inhumane. If you catch a couple hundred moles on a job (I rarely do farms these days) then a fair number will be belly caught or even caught by the foot no matter how much tweaking you do. 

Dont like how Jeff sent his dvd to groups like the rspca, seems more like self publicity than anything else. 

Stop arguing about traps lads it's cringe worthy 

Jeffs small change is to ban every trap other than his “talpa products “ trap

he wont let anyone in the public see his dvd

he s sent it to groups like Defra rspca country file etc

its all self publicity and an attempt to corner the market at the same time

the problem I have is in today’s day  people are going to start listening seriously to what he’s saying

hes still pushing for once a day trapping and now trying to get everything bar his traps banned

thats the long and the short of it

• Like 2

I trap a hell of a lot and have tried most mole traps. The two that stand out for me for being cruel (both duffus btw) are pest-stop and big cheese. I bought some big cheese about 10/15 years ago and i binned the lot (if i remember correctly), they didnt even kill the mole with a nice chest trigger. And i bought some pest-stop 2 years ago (i think), the number of foul catches was shocking, I caught loads by a paddle, its a shame they are so cheap and still on ebay, there will be moles getting caught badly the length of the country, they really need to change the design at the factory.

Flatpack duffus are still my favourite trap. High quality trap that kills straight away, just like the talpex. I cant get away with putang lads, hate the feckin things but i can see how they are popular, maybe im just set in my ways.....

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, trappa said:

I trap a hell of a lot and have tried most mole traps. The two that stand out for me for being cruel (both duffus btw) are pest-stop and big cheese. I bought some big cheese about 10/15 years ago and i binned the lot (if i remember correctly), they didnt even kill the mole with a nice chest trigger. And i bought some pest-stop 2 years ago (i think), the number of foul catches was shocking, I caught loads by a paddle, its a shame they are so cheap and still on ebay, there will be moles getting caught badly the length of the country, they really need to change the design at the factory.

Flatpack duffus are still my favourite trap. High quality trap that kills straight away, just like the talpex. I cant get away with putang lads, hate the feckin things but i can see how they are popular, maybe im just set in my ways.....

What are the latest Flatpack stainless traps like? I got my last lot about three years ago and they weren't a patch on the first lot I bought. They had changed the shape of the trap to a wider profile and reduced the gauge of the steel. I ended up putting them in a vice and squeezing them to 65mm but then they needed a bit more tuning than the originals did.

1 hour ago, trappa said:

I bought some big cheese ?

Set 20-30 in a field and caught 1. I then pulled a live one out that pulled itself out of the trap as I watched. I threw em all in a pond if I remember correctly. You could set em off with your fingers and it didn't hurt, not sure how I didn't realise before setting em as I must of tweaked em a bit. Long time ago now but lesson learnt as I lost a farm because of em. 

I only use Duffus but once the mortgage is paid off and I go farm trapping again I'm going to master the putange 

The best way to start with putanges is on turf. Cut out a duffus sized rectangle but sides slightly bevelled not vertical. Pop the putanges in prongs upward and secure them with a single piece of wire before replacing the clod. As long as the trigger is in the right place you can't go wrong. 

23 hours ago, earth-thrower said:

Do any of the rest of you actually believe that I'm unaware folk know their stuff , about how they choose to carry out their chosen method, etc ,.....of course I do , but I keep you all going anyway, & you seem more than up for it, & give as good as you get ? (Its a mistake to take things , too serious)

The mistake was mine.  I read all 11 pages of your ego trip......  ?  

• Like 1