ever shot a mole

I've never shot a mole but I heard of a woman who shot 28 on the trot with a 410. Apparently she got nervous that she would mis. I have shot a frog in a marsh ditch, a mouse on an indoor range (moving target) , a trout in a stream with a 22lr and a big spider with a matchstick in my bedroom (when I was a kid, with a 177 webbley junior air pistol).

• Haha 1

The trout is a good catch if you excuse the pun as the water refracts the light and the fish are never normally, where they appear to be from the surface. Makes it very difficult to nigh impossible to successfully shoot them. I think that's one of the reasons traditional fish spears have spread out prongs.

Edited by Alsone

Shooting an underwater target is difficult. You have to have an idea of the refraction of light and the amount of depth and corresponding angles. If you understand these then the shot is pretty straightforward.  There is a secondary consideration of the explosive shock value. This is quite powerful. When I was a kid my mum had a steel water butt to collect rainwater for her plants. Being an inquisitive lad I tied a standard firework banger onto a weight with a long string. I lit the firework and waited for the blue paper to ignite the fast fuse, then dropped it into the water. The resultant thump split the drum seam. I'd created a depth charge. Mum was not impressed and I was sent off to uncle to see if he could source her another oil barrel for her. Sometimes the target was stunned. Depth charged to the surface.

Dynamite fishing as it's known is a well tested technique and illegal in most countries because of the damage that dynamite (not bangers) does to the surrounding environment and because of the indiscriminate fish killed. Yeah the shock kills / stuns. I'd imagine it might be possible to stun fish with a rifle shot because of the shockwave ahead of the bullet if it was near enough to the target. 

18 hours ago, Meece said:

I've never shot a mole but I heard of a woman who shot 28 on the trot with a 410. Apparently she got nervous that she would mis. I have shot a frog in a marsh ditch, a mouse on an indoor range (moving target) , a trout in a stream with a 22lr and a big spider with a matchstick in my bedroom (when I was a kid, with a 177 webbley junior air pistol).

That’s what you call a mixed bag?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Ted Newgent said:

are we using buckshot or bigger? choke? open or full

how much lead are we giving those little buggers?

It’s a bit of a secret society mate , all I can say after years of testing guns loads , and chokes I’ve found the best gun is either an over under or side by side ,choke between  full or straight cylinder , load from 24gram 7 to a 40gr 3 ...lead needs be just enough ...hope this helps ..