Spaying lurcher bitches

I had my current kelpie bitch spayed at around eighteen months (so around ten years ago). Ironically, on the morning that I took her in there was thread on here about spaying and Skycat's negative comments about spaying (re changes in temperament) almost made me change my mind at the last moment.

I've found the main benefit is that I never have to worry about her being in season (obviously). I've found no weight gain problems but her coat has deteriorated and her character changed. She had been very outgoing, friendly and bomb-proof but gradually became easily slighted and "a grumpy cow" with other dogs. It may just be that she was always going to end up like that though.?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shaaark said:

Liking these galgos more and more. Was the black bitch your collie/grey x beddy/grey, and did she mature quite quickly?

No Shark she was a beddy/whippet/grey about 23" but yes she was a quick starter, I reckon the smaller one's get a head start. 

This was the beddy/whippet X collie /grey. 

post-2025-0-21927600-1376665740.jpg

?

Ps I've found the Galgos easy to like. 

Edited by sandymere
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

With all the science available I’d personally spay when physically and mentally mature around 2.5-3 yrs to ensure growth plate closure also I haven’t seen any issues done at this age.

id also pay the extra for the partial spay via keyhole.

ive only ever neutered my working stafford bitches and saw no issues I just fed a little less.

there seems to be an increased risk of cruciate rupture in neutered dogs but no clear evidence yet but something to consider.

• Like 3

I'm thinking about getting my bedy greyhound done along with my busher .

the busher as had a litter so I don't feel so bad ,I was going to take a litter out the bedy grey but it's placing pups in good homes etc and I've told the misses tinker is my last lurcher as getting old myself lol,so no more pups .

• Like 2