Spaying lurcher bitches

Hopefully people will have something to contribute to this thread. Positive or negative. Something I have been looking into as I might bring a bitch in next and have no wish to breed. I have had various answers. Hardest choice is deciding when to do it. Most vets say after first season. Others say before. Had a couple of people message saying it made no difference to the work ethic/ability. Would also like to hear both sides of the story. 

Edited by white van man
  • Like 1
21 minutes ago, white van man said:

Hopefully people will have something to contribute to this thread. Positive or negative. Something I have been looking into as I might bring a bitch in next and have no wish to breed. I have had various answers. Hardest choice is deciding when to do it. Most vets say after first season. Others say before. Had a couple of people message saying it made no difference to the work ethic/ability. Would also like to hear both sides of the story. 

I think deff wait till after first season,I have a bulldog bitch spayed before first season and she has bladder leaks as got older.I asked the vet before and was assured this wouldn't happen.My whippet bitches are 6 years and 1year.

2 hours ago, white van man said:

I would never get a bitch done befor first season.and vets shouldn't tell you to ,

makes sence to get her done if you don't intend having pups .

i don't think you see much difference in work etc but keep eye on her wait as they pile the pounds on . Atb

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

Also have heard injuries don't heal as quick when spayed, something to do with hormones.Don't know if its an old wives tale.

Yeah heard this and heard ligaments and tendons don’t repair as well. Most vets and people in the know have told me it’s not true. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jigsaw said:

ive a mate in america with a staghound bitch ,got her spayed ,shes turned out to be a top coyote killer ,he regrets now on doing it ...think carefully before you do it 

There’s plenty of people who have done the same. If someone is 100% decided on not breeding then they shouldn’t regret it. There will be other top dogs and bitches to get a pup from. ?

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, white van man said:

There’s plenty of people who have done the same. If someone is 100% decided on not breeding then they shouldn’t regret it. There will be other top dogs and bitches to get a pup from. ?

Yeah I'd just be worried about the pups ending up in shit homes.I'm getting older and worry about my dogs welfare more now.

• Like 1

I had a terrier spayed at around 2 years old because my other dogs were males,it saved a load of hassle.regards putting on weight I would say say there waist gets thicker but not fat if you know what I mean, it also make there coats abit softer you notice this more in terriers that are hand stripped but it’s nothing to worry about.it doesn’t affect them as workers one bit I would go for it .

• Like 1
2 hours ago, sandymere said:

Couple of spayed bitches, both did what it said on the tin, neither had problems. IMG_20171231_083642.thumb.jpg.08bc321ba5555d4bd1389d87a5e3118f.jpg

IMG_20181201_111402.jpg.baa15af6628eb62ab04d59c43ac3fc36.jpg.97c841b24ca8410a838244292c744a36.jpgpost-2025-008240600%201277381220_thumb.jpgpost-2025-068979400%201278000320_thumb.jpg

Spay after 1st season as the hormonal changes help seal long bone growth plates. ?

What age were they spayed sandy?