In 74 me and another lad rebuilt my Landrover engine nether of us had a clue but we done it with the help from  that book , never had any trouble with it for 16 years other than a broken spring , I had to sell it in the end because it was just too hot , the number plate was ERO 65* and  a few times there was a letter in the window asking if I wanted to sell the plate ??

• Like 1
4 hours ago, pesky1972 said:

Haynes manuals were great. Must’ve been the scourge of many a car ‘stealership’ back in the days when you could actually fit a spanner under your bonnet.

Every Saturday all the old boys and ( father in law) were out with the bonnet up and studying the Haynes, generally they didn't know a spanner from a screwdriver.  mostly they were trying to keep out from under the old womans feet or avoiding some job that their Mrs had told them they had to do. Sometimes there would be a bit of a grouping up and a bit of joking about and then one of the blokes would notice some wife looking out of the window and the blokes would all scuttle back to their own bonnet. ????

4 hours ago, Chaff said:

They were good as long as they didn't try and cover 5 models in the one manual when that happened they became the Haynes book of lies ??

RIP Mr Haynes

Sub section 4. Section B  ???????????  That's not the same as my motor !!

1 hour ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Yeah now you need to be a computer programmer.

minor problem is that the manufacturers don't generally release the software to find any fault and even the main dealers can't find some faults and its down to bit pluging at your expense.