The importance of a mentor

Yep all depends. I think it made a difference with my busher working along side another one. 

My lurcher seemed to pick things up by himself. The only thing I think was a help was the distance he ranges and how he hunts open land in the day. I think he definitely picked that up off other dogs. Lamping wise I prefer to take them solo. 

Think the owners would benefit from a mentor more than the dogs. I know I did. 

ATB with the pup. 

• Like 5

Handy for stock. I remember as a kid walking along the bottom of a bank with the JR taking the lead doing his thing. The lurcher pup looked up the bank and saw some sheep taking off and he made a start to go then hesitated and looked what the JR was doing and thought sod it and followed the JR. That was him broke he never made another move at a sheep again

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, white van man said:

Yep all depends. I think it made a difference with my busher working along side another one. 

My lurcher seemed to pick things up by himself. The only thing I think was a help was the distance he ranges and how he hunts open land in the day. I think he definitely picked that up off other dogs. Lamping wise I prefer to take them solo. 

Think the owners would benefit from a mentor more than the dogs. I know I did. 

ATB with the pup. 

Can’t agree more, I could do with a mentor! Most of what I learnt has been by looking on the net or talking to people at the shows etc.

I know a few people who work their lurches but id be more concerned of the bad habits it would pick up than the good ones!

cheers for the reply mate.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, terryd said:

Handy for stock. I remember as a kid walking along the bottom of a bank with the JR taking the lead doing his thing. The lurcher pup looked up the bank and saw some sheep taking off and he made a start to go then hesitated and looked what the JR was doing and thought sod it and followed the JR. That was him broke he never made another move at a sheep again

It’s good you had a reliable dog there, always eaiser if you’ve got a dog setting the right example.

cheers for the response mate 

12 hours ago, Jdbeckley said:

Can’t agree more, I could do with a mentor! Most of what I learnt has been by looking on the net or talking to people at the shows etc.

I know a few people who work their lurches but id be more concerned of the bad habits it would pick up than the good ones!

cheers for the reply mate.

Your second paragraph is the more likely, dogs pick up bad habits, to us, quicker than good ones. If the lurchers owned by the people you know are obedient and decent at their jobs  ask if you could tag along, on your own, to get a good idea of what you need to do.

Then get out, on your own with your dog, and give it a go. Don't worry that the end of the season is almost here, rabbits don't have a really have a season, as they're pests. And a couple of runs on some easy ones every now and then, should give you both a chance to start honing your skills ?

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Jdbeckley said:

It’s good you had a reliable dog there, always eaiser if you’ve got a dog setting the right example.

cheers for the response mate 

100%   with stock, the pup  will learn of the older dog, that them  woolly things  are nothing to bother with, as he just follow him or her by example , and with the same lamping and field craft at night , they still  be keen, but not mad where they could hurt there selves. i had Buck out from 10 weeks old day/night   , thats seeing sheep, ditches, water,  b/wire fences, etc that they encounter , he knew how to deal with them, where ive seen over the years young dog 6-12 months running round like head less chickens getting hurt , get them out  once they had there jabs .deff

• Like 2
1 hour ago, poxon said:

I think a good handler these days is more important to train a pup than a mentor the rest comes with experience on the pups part with age the only time a mentor had a use was pre ban on teeth 

Alternatively, he could try and source the advice of a good dentist ?

• Like 1