Dropping rabbits

My lurcher bitch has started to drop rabbits odd times just before there in my hands and won't catch them again she lets them run away and she runs along side just nudging them as if she wants to play with them has anyone else had anything like this the bitch is over 2 now she is pretty soft mouthed but has taken stuff with teeth before

1 hour ago, fatlad said:

My lurcher bitch has started to drop rabbits odd times just before there in my hands and won't catch them again she lets them run away and she runs along side just nudging them as if she wants to play with them has anyone else had anything like this the bitch is over 2 now she is pretty soft mouthed but has taken stuff with teeth before

How frustrating??. My dog is hard mouthed but at least if he drops them, they don't run away! Maybe your dog has taken pity on the little buffers, like ththose orca that play with seal pups and then nudge them back to the beach?.

No useful advice I'm afraid!

1 minute ago, fatlad said:

Tried it she doesn't really try with another dog running with her by herself she will hit hedges and cover no problem just hope it's a phase

Some people reckon that tug training works to mek them hold on to them a bit I wouldn't know all my dogs kill them 

10 hours ago, fatlad said:

Not exactly like you've described there. But have had a couple of bitches over the years that behaved well weird just before they were due to come in season. Acting like pups, unresponsive, half hearted when chasing, and a couple of other things. Maybe she's about to come in season? 

Just to add, before I get slated, bitches weren't deliberatly run at anything when in season, just if a rabbit got up when out exercising ?

Edited by shaaark
  • Like 1

I think she's due in season August so I don't think it's that, I don't think it's a trust thing she retrieves everything else even a Charlie last week and it's not all the time just odd times she will not catch them again once she has caught it once

12 hours ago, fatlad said:

I had beddy wip bitch similar she used to let half of what she caught go she had such a soft mouth. I was gunna give her a few sessions on ratty but then I thought how many rabbits do I need to take ome so I  left her as she was 

I got dog that's about 18mths now he started playing up when catching would bring them back halway and then drop them and mess about after a few nights of catching nothing but having the runs he caught so left the lamp off and kept walking that worked for me.

Have you ever manged to pick up any of the rbts she drops?  If yes have they been healthy. I had a lurcher years ago who had a fantastic rerieve then one nite after she caught one she-shook it & dropped it out in the field & refused to pick it up again so i went to pick it up & it had myxi. She carried on for years with great retrieves live to hand except for ones with myxi. Atb 

I thought we were getting some where with her but I'm not sure now catching and retrieving all morning then started to catch them and then letting them go again I give up she's like Jekle and Hyde but when she good it's unreal one of the keepers might be having her as a marking dog

15 minutes ago, fatlad said:

I thought we were getting some where with her but I'm not sure now catching and retrieving all morning then started to catch them and then letting them go again I give up she's like Jekle and Hyde but when she good it's unreal one of the keepers might be having her as a marking dog

That is very strange 

On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 03:38, fatlad said:

Tried it she doesn't really try with another dog running with her by herself she will hit hedges and cover no problem just hope it's a phase

It worked with one of my whippets,she wouldn't strike until another dog was competing with her,now she's 100% on her own.

• Like 1