BSA R10SE FAC bolt problem

I bought a new .22 BSA R10SE FAC just before Xmas 2018.  I use this along with a HW100 .177  sub-12 for shooting rabbits on three permissions.  When I first got the BSA the bolt was a little "notchy" on the cocking stroke but I assumed it would wear in and smooth out.  It didn't!  After about 6 weeks and less than 500 pellets it started to jam.  Took it back to the RFD who has returned it to BSA.  While in the shop myself and the dealer tried two other new .22 BSAs, one sub-12 and one FAC and the bolts on both of these were also a little "notchy"  Anyone else had this experience? 

20 minutes ago, philpot said:

I can't help you with the fault you have but I have heard of this before. Welcome to another Lincolnshire lad, there aren't too many of us on here. Where abouts are you based Pete.

Phil

I live near Sleaford Phil, although not originally a Yellow Belly.  Ex RAF like half the population I think ? 

• Like 2

I have an FAC .22 BSA R10SE which I bought 2 years ago. The stock had a minor crack in it around the bottle out the box in the gunsmiths so was replaced straight away. The bolt Immediately came lose after about 10 shots from the pellet probe. But I just took the screw out which holds the bolt to the back of the probe and put it back with lock tight. Since then I have had no issues and the bolt is smooth with no jams at all. I use H&N barcuda hunter extreme pellets no issues. 

• Like 1
On 12/02/2019 at 22:26, 1774pete said:

I live near Sleaford Phil, although not originally a Yellow Belly.  Ex RAF like half the population I think ? 

Ya don’t know a Peter Thomas by any chance do you Pete? Ex RAF engineer. For some reason I just thought you might be on the technical side. 

Back on the subject. My old scorpion had a somewhat notchy bolt from new, so noticeable to be honest, it soon bedded in mind, miss that old sod.

3 minutes ago, Rez said:

Ya don’t know a Peter Thomas by any chance do you Pete? Ex RAF engineer. For some reason I just thought you might be on the technical side. 

Back on the subject. My old scorpion had a somewhat notchy bolt from new, so noticeable to be honest, it soon bedded in mind, miss that old sod.

No I don't know Peter Thomas but your right,  I was on the tech side,  Comms. 

1 minute ago, 1774pete said:

No I don't know Peter Thomas but your right,  I was on the tech side,  Comms. 

Chances were you didn’t to be honest. He worked on the Avro back in the day. The mrs old man like. 

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎15‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 00:34, 1774pete said:

I got it back from BSA today, via the RFD.  Feels like its just been pumped up with grease but we'll see how it pans out over the next month or so. 

Many years back BSA service was excellent, absolutely great, things have changed considerably over the last 15 years or so. 

I guess this coincides with their decline and Gamo!

• Like 1

Pete, have you been to the new range in Sleaford that I heard about on another forum.

if the problem is still there, it would be worth having a word with Phil Crampton of Rat works fame as he does a lot of work with BSA rifles and even though there would be a cost, at least you will have the rifle you thought you were getting in the first place. 

Phil

On 04/03/2019 at 12:26, philpot said:

Pete, have you been to the new range in Sleaford that I heard about on another forum.

if the problem is still there, it would be worth having a word with Phil Crampton of Rat works fame as he does a lot of work with BSA rifles and even though there would be a cost, at least you will have the rifle you thought you were getting in the first place. 

Phil

The new ranges at Sleaford ( North Rauceby) is really nice. Its Run by Range & Country Gunsmiths and I got a preview shoot with my HW100 just before it opened.  Unfortunately I can't shoot the BSA R10 FAC there because its only licenced for sub 12f/p  ☹️   Spent some time on my permissions target shooting with various pellets. The BSA is ok some of the time with 1 inch groups at 40 yds but I'm getting flyers every 5 to 10 shots,  even after sorting the pellets.  Usually low, like 4 inches or so, regardless of pellet type. Useless when I'm hunting bunnies.  Looked at the magazines and can't see anything wrong there and bottle pressure at 190 to 120 bar.  To be quite honest I've lost faith in the dammed thing.  I don't see why I should have to spend money on a brand new rifle just to get it to shoot properly so it won't be getting mods.  I'll give the gunsmith a chance to sort it but if its no better it goes back and I'll add some pennies and get a HW100 FAC or maybe the new Air Arms 510 FAC.  

I understand where you are coming from Pete.

Just be VERY careful regarding HW100 fac as there are very few around and from what I gather, for a good reason.......

FAC market leaders old faithful Rapid and FX range. I have the FX Impact .25, brilliant gun but a lot more expensive than the BSA.

One thing to take into account is that FX manufacture what we call FAC rated guns and reduce power for one of two countries including UK which means they have massive knowledge and experience which is why they are bloody good.

Phil

16 hours ago, philpot said:

I understand where you are coming from Pete.

Just be VERY careful regarding HW100 fac as there are very few around and from what I gather, for a good reason.......

FAC market leaders old faithful Rapid and FX range. I have the FX Impact .25, brilliant gun but a lot more expensive than the BSA.

One thing to take into account is that FX manufacture what we call FAC rated guns and reduce power for one of two countries including UK which means they have massive knowledge and experience which is why they are bloody good.

Phil

You have a good point there regarding FAC rifles.  I would love an Impact but can't really justify the cost.  Also I read a lot of negative comments about FX after sales service and long delivery times.  So the maybe new AA S510 SX Extra or the Daystate Regal HR are better choices. I use my guns exclusively for hunting so absolute accuracy is not as critical as it would be for target shooting, but what I do need is a rifle that is reliable, consistent and robust.  A Land Rover not a Ferrari so to speak. 

Most FX issues come from sub12 rifles but I agree they are expensive. The after sales from both AS I the importer and FX in Sweden is nothing short of superb Pete so scrap that thought.

For God's sake do not buy Daystate, talk about had aftersales, they are the worst by far, just ask some of turbine on here or any forum in the UK. None of the dealers that I go to will deal with tHem and whatever problem you may have............it's your fault.

Never known anyone with a 510 fac so can't comment.

Phil

• Like 1
  • Haha 1