Calibre question,new ground.

10 hours ago, ianm said:

The op says it is windy so that would rule out hmr and wmr for me.

Every calibre is effected by the wind, and it isn't windy every second of every day.

Despite popular suggestion the HMR is LESS wind effected than the .22lr and the WMR can be better still!

Sorry, I just don't get it needs a .22CF to shoot magpies or crows because it blows a bit.     I've never heard anyone say I have no choice but to use a 22-250 or even my .243 (as has been suggested here) for crows and magpies because it's windy! 

Live with the wind and learn to work with it, spend some time practising!

He has 40 acres of undulating and flat land apparently, that simply doesn't stack up to anything like a proper CF, (even for fox) , because its windy, with the possible exception of the Hornets, but even the Hornets (every calibre) needs wind adjustment!

:thumbs:

Edited by Deker
  • Like 2

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ooooo a calibre thread! There will be much discussion and argument over THE BEST calibre  but any of these will probably be where you land up. 17 Hornet 22 Hornet 222 Rem

40 Acres is a very small area. A centrefire 22 is the best you can pitch for (maybe a .243) but a .223 or 22.50 is where I'd be looking. AF

This is where we differ in opinion, i personally will not use a rimfire on fox. I have seen to many wounded with them. Yes i know all the arguments about shot placement etc but the reality is no one i

Posted Images

36 minutes ago, Deker said:

Every calibre is effected by the wind, and it isn't windy every second of every day.

Despite popular suggestion the HMR is LESS wind effected than the .22lr and the WMR can be better still!

Sorry, I just don't get it needs a .22CF to shoot magpies or crows because it blows a bit.     I've never heard anyone say I have no choice but to use a 22-250 or even my .243 (as has been suggested here) for crows and magpies because it's windy! 

He has 40 acres of undulating and flat land apparently, that simply doesn't stack up to anything like a proper CF, (even for fox) , because its windy, with the possible exception of the Hornets, but even the Hornets (every calibre) needs wind adjustment!

This is where we differ in opinion, i personally will not use a rimfire on fox. I have seen to many wounded with them. Yes i know all the arguments about shot placement etc but the reality is no one is infallible when it comes to taking a shot. 

Forty acres is more than enough for c/f use why hamstring yourself with a rimfire when c/f is far more capable? I did own a hmr it was the biggest mistake i ever made rectified by the purchase of a 17 hornet. The hornet has now made way for another 204 because it is easier to load for and cheaper to run than the 17 hornet was.

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, Deker said:

There is a couple of flat fields,it's hard to describe,it's basically on the side of a valley with a stream at the bottom and a few houses on the other side.going the other way out of the valley it slopes up steeply to a couple of flat fields on the top then goes up a slight incline to the moor. All the fields are surrounded by dry stone walls.

1 minute ago, ianm said:

This is where we differ in opinion, i personally will not use a rimfire on fox. I have seen to many wounded with them. Yes i know all the arguments about shot placement etc but the reality is no one is infallible when it comes to taking a shot. 

Forty acres is more than enough for c/f use why hamstring yourself with a rimfire when c/f is far more capable? I did own a hmr it was the biggest mistake i ever made rectified by the purchase of a 17 hornet. The hornet has now made way for another 204 because it is easier to load for and cheaper to run than the 17 hornet was.

I spoke to my firearms yesterday and they said,rightly or wrongly,they didn't recommend a .22 rimfire for fox,they said .223

That said,they also said they can't find the land on their computer,so I'm thinking they might not pass it for a .223,when they send some one to have a look at the ground,like someone said 40 acres is a small area,I don't know ?

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, MR TEA POT said:

I spoke to my firearms yesterday and they said,rightly or wrongly,they didn't recommend a .22 rimfire for fox,they said .223

That said,they also said they can't find the land on their computer,so I'm thinking they might not pass it for a .223,when they send some one to have a look at the ground,like someone said 40 acres is a small area,I don't know ?

Is this about FOX now or Fox, Magpie, Crow?      

So, from .22lr (circa 100-150Ft Lb) to .223 (circa 1300ft lb) IDIOTS!!!!!!!         Nothing wrong with .223 for fox, and some regions apparently prefer CF for Fox, usual stupid policy without looking at specifics.  I have no use for centrefires on fox at normal fox distances, only as the range increases, but seeing as its a fox and you can track/train them pretty easily, especially on 40 acres I'm not following the CF argument at all!    The Home Office is perfectly happy with HMR and WMR for fox, even .22lr in some situations.  

Whatever anyone personally thinks/prefers is down to them.    

073f.jpg.241a0af4238797931697205533f86f7e.jpg

School playing field, out to about 130 yards I seem to recall, all dropped on the spot! HMR 17g V-Max!    Heart or head, depending how they presented.

What has happened to magpies and crows , I simply don't see them as CF quarry?!

It seems the answer to the OP may well come down to what your region will/wont allow.

Edited by Deker
  • Like 2
12 minutes ago, Deker said:

Is this about FOX now or Fox, Magpie, Crow?      

So, from .22lr (circa 100-150Ft Lb) to .223 (circa 1300ft lb) IDIOTS!!!!!!!         Nothing wrong with .223 for fox, and some regions apparently prefer CF for Fox, usual stupid policy without looking at specifics.  I have no use for centrefires on fox at normal fox distances, only as the range increases, but seeing as its a fox and you can track/train them pretty easily, especially on 40 acres I'm not following the CF argument at all!    The Home Office is perfectly happy with HMR and WMR for fox, even .22lr in some situations.  

Whatever anyone personally thinks/prefers of them is down to them.    

073f.jpg.241a0af4238797931697205533f86f7e.jpg

School playing field, out to about 130 yards I seem to recall, all dropped on the spot! HMR 17g V-Max!    Heart or head, depending how they presented.

What has happened to magpies and crows , I simply don't see them as CF quarry?!

It seems the answer to the OP may well come down to what your region will/wont allow.

Sorry deker,it is about fox,crows and magpies. I can use my .22 on the crows and magpies I've got a open ticket,but the firearms person I spoke to yesterday said I couldn't use it for fox,she asked someone there and he said .223. 

Like you said I suppose it's what the FEO says after land inspection.

10 minutes ago, MR TEA POT said:

Sorry deker,it is about fox,crows and magpies. I can use my .22 on them I've got a open ticket,but the firearms person I spoke to yesterday said I couldn't use it for fox,she asked someone there and he said .223.

Like you said I suppose it's what the FEO says after land inspection.

As a matter of interest what does your condition for .22lr actually read?

Ok, as I mentioned earlier, .22LR not really for Magies/crows for me, obviously they work but either Air or HMR (Shotgun as well of course) would generally be my preference.

The HMR will also deal with the fox, so that seems a fair option for all 3 quarry on 40 acres.

Good luck whatever happens! :thumbs:

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1
18 minutes ago, MR TEA POT said:

IMG_1509.JPG

The Home Office consider Fox to be Vermin, as I also said they are very happy to accept HMR and WMR for fox, even .22lr in the right circumstances,  this may be an interesting read...…  https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/518193/Guidance_on_Firearms_Licensing_Law_April_2016_v20.pdf

Page 122.  

Just the same, no point in getting to entrenched here, it would have been a lot simpler if your condition had been AOLQ; such is life.   Personally, I still shoot a lot of fox with my .22Lr but they do tend to be close, and usually in peoples back gardens.   My .22LR was specifically conditioned for fox years back, then along came AOLQ.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Deker said:

The Home Office consider Fox to be Vermin, as I also said they are very happy to accept HMR and WMR for fox, even .22lr in the right circumstances,  this may be an interesting read...…  https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/518193/Guidance_on_Firearms_Licensing_Law_April_2016_v20.pdf

Page 122.  

Just the same, no point in getting to entrenched here, it would have been a lot simpler if your condition had been AOLQ; such is life.   Personally, I still shoot a lot of fox with my .22Lr but they do tend to be close, and usually in peoples back gardens.   My .22LR was specifically conditioned for fox years back, then along came AOLQ.

Thanks Deker I'll have a look at that?

A .17hmr sounds like the rifle I need,I'll see what the land inspector comes back with??

2 minutes ago, MR TEA POT said:

Excuse my ignorance what's AOLQ mean?

AOLQ ...Any Other Lawful Quarry, sometimes called ALQ ..Any Lawful Quarry.

Many regions use it now, mine has for about 10 years, MUCH better than having everything listed (or not as may be the case)!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MR TEA POT said:

Thanks Deker I'll have a look at that?

A .17hmr sounds like the rifle I need,I'll see what the land inspector comes back with??

We live in a strange world with this shooting Malarkey...it seems your region may force you to have a CF (.223 apparently), they may not accept a rimfire, even though their Head Office (the Home Office) say it will be fine.

I shoot for a living as well as fun and also target, I have a lot of guns and I take out what I need for any job/land/quarry, I also do site surveys (Google Earth very helpful these days), I don't just get a fox job and say that's .223, I use what I need, and for me and fox, that is FAR more often a rimfire than a CF.

Good luck.

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1