Calibre question,new ground.

6 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

Ooooo a calibre thread!

There will be much discussion and argument over THE BEST calibre :laugh: but any of these will probably be where you land up.

• 17 Hornet
  • 22 Hornet
  • 222 Rem
  • 223 Rem
  • 22-250 Rem

So which is the best ??

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ooooo a calibre thread! There will be much discussion and argument over THE BEST calibre  but any of these will probably be where you land up. 17 Hornet 22 Hornet 222 Rem

40 Acres is a very small area. A centrefire 22 is the best you can pitch for (maybe a .243) but a .223 or 22.50 is where I'd be looking. AF

This is where we differ in opinion, i personally will not use a rimfire on fox. I have seen to many wounded with them. Yes i know all the arguments about shot placement etc but the reality is no one i

Posted Images

Just now, MR TEA POT said:

So which is the best ??

lol

Personally I'd say 222 if you want to reload, 223 if you don't.

Of the others: 17 Hornet if it's 99% feather and the occasional fox. 22 Hornet if you wear an anorak. 250 if you are routinely shooting 300 yard foxes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

lol

Personally I'd say 222 if you want to reload, 223 if you don't.

Of the others: 17 Hornet if it's 99% feather and the occasional fox. 22 Hornet if you wear an anorak. 250 if you are routinely shooting 300 yard foxes.

.22 hornet if you wear a anorak Wtf?

I'm thinking .223 not fussed on the idea of reloading ?

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, David.evans said:

Is it not all back to FEO to  see what what the land gets passed for or am I missing something thing , agree with .223 tho 

atb 

It is so I believe,I quoted your post earlier saying I'd rang them and the land wasn't on the system,they told me to post paperwork and they will deal with it?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, andyf said:

40 Acres is a very small area.

A centrefire 22 is the best you can pitch for (maybe a .243) but a .223 or 22.50 is where I'd be looking.

AF

The farmer wants foxes,crows and magpies shooting !

I don't know anyone who use a .22 CF of any sort for crows and magpies, and foxes fall easily to HMR/WMR our to about 130 yards!

:thumbs:

• Like 1
10 hours ago, MR TEA POT said:

I don't live in that area it's a hour and 15 from me...my FAC is done by another force not the one covering this new ground.

Ive got a open ticket for the rimfire though.

YOUR region covers this, no other region, your FAC is dealt with 100% by your region, it doesn't matter if your land is in Scotland, YOUR region deal with it. 

• Like 1

What am I missing here, he said 40 acres and Crows, Magpies and foxes!?

Talk of proper .22CF is beyond me, especially 22-250 or 243, just possibly .22Hornet or perhaps more likely 17 Hornet.

I don't really see .22lr for Crows and magpies, more likely Air or HMR.

HMR is VERY capable of fox out to the distances most foxes are taken, and this is obviously not 1000's of acres of moorland so I don't immediately see why a long range CF is required!

So, what's wrong with HMR or WMR?

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Deker said:

What am I missing here, he said 40 acres and Crows, Magpies and foxes!?

Talk of proper .22CF is beyond me, especially 22-250 or 243, just possibly .22Hornet or perhaps more likely 17 Hornet.

I don't really see .22lr for Crows and magpies, more likely Air or HMR.

HMR is VERY capable of fox out to the distances most foxes are taken, and this is obviously not 1000's of acres of moorland so I don't immediately see why a long range CF is required!

So, what's wrong with HMR or WMR?

The op says it is windy so that would rule out hmr and wmr for me.

Forty acres doesn't sound a lot but depending on topography it could present some testing shots especially in the wind. Only the op knows how close he is likely to get to the intended targets. Foxes are one thing but crows and magpies are another altogether. They quickly work out when and where they are safe and in no time at all you end up taking longer and longer shots. If money for ammunition isn't an issue i would certainly go for centre fire. I use a .204 for crows and magpies and it works out about 40p a round because i reload and am happy with that. .243 isn't a bad shout really because it future proofs your shooting, ie: if you want to shoot deer or are asked to you are not going to need another rifle. At the end of the day only the op can answer the question of which calibre because only he has the knowledge of the ground to be shot over.