Calibre question,new ground.

I've just got a new permission on a moorland farm in the Peak District,it's 40 acres of hills,flat ground and moor.

The farmer wants foxes,crows and magpies shooting due to him having sheep etc

I was just wondering which calibre would be ideal?

I have a FAC with a .22 rimfire on,but I think something a little bit bigger might help. It is also windy up here most days.

Any help would be appreciated thanks.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ooooo a calibre thread! There will be much discussion and argument over THE BEST calibre  but any of these will probably be where you land up. 17 Hornet 22 Hornet 222 Rem

40 Acres is a very small area. A centrefire 22 is the best you can pitch for (maybe a .243) but a .223 or 22.50 is where I'd be looking. AF

This is where we differ in opinion, i personally will not use a rimfire on fox. I have seen to many wounded with them. Yes i know all the arguments about shot placement etc but the reality is no one i

Posted Images

3 hours ago, David.evans said:

Id phone your firearm team to see what the lands cleared for unless your on open ticket ?

I don't live in that area it's a hour and 15 from me...my FAC is done by another force not the one covering this new ground.

Ive got a open ticket for the rimfire though.

4 hours ago, MR TEA POT said:

I've just got a new permission on a moorland farm in the Peak District,it's 40 acres of hills,flat ground and moor.

The farmer wants foxes,crows and magpies shooting due to him having sheep etc

I was just wondering which calibre would be ideal?

I have a FAC with a .22 rimfire on,but I think something a little bit bigger might help. It is also windy up here most days.

Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Presumably the ground that you describe  is open without a great deal of cover.  If this is the case you will need something with a bit of poke to get out there.  So 223 .... 22-250 or 243. I'd probably go 243. Better to have enough than not enough.  All this writing about asking the firearms dept about what you should ask for is silly.  If you don't know what you need then are you suitable to be out there. How would they know what would be best and their mission is to reduce the public ownership of guns not encourage. That's like going to a restaurant and asking what you should eat. If you don't know.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, David.evans said:

At least you will know where you’re at 

Just rang them to see if the lands passed,if so for what calibre they said the land is not on the system so they've said to me post all the relevant paperwork to them and they will take it from there.

44 minutes ago, Meece said:

Presumably the ground that you describe  is open without a great deal of cover.  If this is the case you will need something with a bit of poke to get out there.  So 223 .... 22-250 or 243. I'd probably go 243. Better to have enough than not enough.  All this writing about asking the firearms dept about what you should ask for is silly.  If you don't know what you need then are you suitable to be out there. How would they know what would be best and their mission is to reduce the public ownership of guns not encourage. That's like going to a restaurant and asking what you should eat. If you don't know.

Yes the ground is open,with a few trees and drystone walls not much else in the way of cover,just large hilly grass fields.

Get a 243 and have done with it. It's going to have enough poke to do the job and if you get a crack at deer your tooled up.  And don't have to make yourself look a dick by going and asking some feo what to wear. They havent got a bloody clue, well most of them are only second hand plods.  The total nonsense that some of them have come out with on their visits over the years has been unbelievable.   I remember when I first applied for my 223 the clod asked me if it was one of those hornet things.  I don't know if he would have been any better at selling Wellington boots or custard tarts.  If you've got 40 acres of open Moreland you are going to be at range most of the time.  You'll be reading the wind and using the stone walls for cover to close down the target distance cos Charlie ain't going to let you walk up to him and blow his head off.  I don't suppose that there are many properties around the moorland so probably noise ain't going to be an important factor.

5 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

Ooooo a calibre thread!

There will be much discussion and argument over THE BEST calibre :laugh: but any of these will probably be where you land up.

• 17 Hornet
  • 22 Hornet
  • 222 Rem
  • 223 Rem
  • 22-250 Rem

20 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Have you considered a .338winmag just in case you fancy a drive through Longleat?

Now that's a cracking suggestion you didn't have that one on your previous list.  What about a 450 nitro express for the odd elephant that might wonder through or escaped rampant bull. ?.  A mate was at the plod counter to hand in an application for renewal and thought is there anything that I could apply for that I haven't got. So he put in for a handgun for humane dispatch and when his ticket came through they had given him a 2 shot handgun on the ticket for humane dispatch. Result. Don't ask , don't get. 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Meece said:

Get a 243 and have done with it. It's going to have enough poke to do the job and if you get a crack at deer your tooled up.  And don't have to make yourself look a dick by going and asking some feo what to wear. They havent got a bloody clue, well most of them are only second hand plods.  The total nonsense that some of them have come out with on their visits over the years has been unbelievable.   I remember when I first applied for my 223 the clod asked me if it was one of those hornet things.  I don't know if he would have been any better at selling Wellington boots or custard tarts.  If you've got 40 acres of open Moreland you are going to be at range most of the time.  You'll be reading the wind and using the stone walls for cover to close down the target distance cos Charlie ain't going to let you walk up to him and blow his head off.  I don't suppose that there are many properties around the moorland so probably noise ain't going to be an important factor.

Yes also deer on there but I'm not interested in them. 

There a few houses spread around the moor so a mod would be nice ?

just to be clear I haven't asked the FEO what calibre I would need,I only asked on here ?. You seem to have a problem with FEO's from what I've read ?