1 hour ago, sussex said:

Last day on the Shoot I help out on see eighteen of us out , light covering of snow but bright and cold . Pushed in some of the far flung corners and some of the lesser drives which produced plenty of birds , and did a couple of the main drives the wrong way round which produced some stunning birds for a lucky few and then finished with a drive of a bank that never gets shot because of access problems , the keeper invited the landowner to shoot the drive which solved that problem and every one had a superb drive ...finished on just over 400 ..

Sounds like a good day . I love getting stuck into a decent drive , there is nothing like it . I know if I could afford it I would be paying for days like that . However I make do with my end of season invites, and enjoy every minute. It only takes one or two really memorable/ high birds to make your day . And the company of everyone who helps on shoot days ( being a gun for a day ) is great fun . We all went to the local hotel  afterwards and “got on it “ . Some of the guys travel from Wales to go loading and they had booked in for the night . We ended up watching Wales vs France , they were singing Bread of heaven at the top of their lungs . A few sore heads in the morning I think .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I find keepers days stressful. On the shoot I keeper , the syndicate turns out (well some of them ) and a few people I drag in , to beat for the beaters. They get to stand all day . I have to try and get the line organised with people who don’t know where they are going . Talk about herding cats !! Add to that the potential for any one of a hundred other things that can go wrong, and usually do . We also have a walk up / clear up day which is an altogether more relaxed and enjoyable day for me . 

• Like 1

If you want wild greys it helps if you do not shoot them in January, especially if paired up! they are on territory when paired and shooting one or both removes a potential covey from that same place for next season. Harvest them in autumn and early winter if you have enough to go at.   Fantastic birds and much declined.

• Like 2