Never where you want them

Had a day on the farm today, thought there might be a few pigeons scratting about, but nothing. The only pigeons in my field were the decoys ?

Also had a dead rabbit laid out with for the crows another 10 meters away from the pigeons, again nothing.

Thought my rabbits was going to get swiped when three buzzards started circling it. Great to watch.

Called it a day about 13:30 and had a drive round the farm and managed to shoot a crow ( that’s just earned me a fiver?).

Left the farm and had a drive to the rape down the road for a look, saw half a dozen on the power lines but left them alone for today.

I’ll be having a few hours on the rape tomorrow.

Still enjoyed the day, great view and plenty of wildlife to keep me entertained. Even had a fox walk by the hedgerow behind me.

FC4FE8BC-B3BB-44DA-AD3C-EFD563C91442.jpeg

326577B5-283D-4E9F-8501-6389F5A5A89B.jpeg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, The one said:

Got to check where the pigeons are feeding mate and find the flight lines  usually one day watching  means one days shooting

Last time I was up found a flight line, but with the ground been full of snow they shifted into next door fields. Didn’t seem to be many about at all, they probably went looking else were for easier pickings 

1 hour ago, Stavross said:

Well if you don’t get out you won’t see anything sat in the house 

ive got a Saturday off the week after next so if the weathers ok I’ll take you to the farm next to the timber plantation, might have a bit more luck there ?

I was watching them on Saturday on the rape but they never turned back up Sunday bloody typical ?

Sounds like a plan for a week Saturday, will check I’ve got no plans, I’ll rephrase that, I’ll check the Mrs has no plans for me?

can't beat decoying days, I really enjoy them.... been a few times lately but like your day they have been pretty fruitless!

me and a mate did a two hide setup over the rape, when we got there it was freezing and the field was lifting with them!

think we managed 8 pigeons and 6 crows but they were just random stragglers, they never came back in any numbers:censored:

was zeroing a rifle the other day and the farmer was prepping a field for planting the beans and the sky was black so I went back the next day...fcukall:(

had to try and restore some balance in my mind so went to a small cops yesterday and took a few for the fridge, no hide just a shotgun a pocket full of carts and a flask!

443760157_7s0Ko7sRRVazxaGZViag.jpg.1cbde07971ec5cf4baf0a88446ff8bd6.jpg

roll on spring:laugh:

• Like 2
12 hours ago, si brown said:

can't beat decoying days, I really enjoy them.... been a few times lately but like your day they have been pretty fruitless!

me and a mate did a two hide setup over the rape, when we got there it was freezing and the field was lifting with them!

think we managed 8 pigeons and 6 crows but they were just random stragglers, they never came back in any numbers:censored:

was zeroing a rifle the other day and the farmer was prepping a field for planting the beans and the sky was black so I went back the next day...fcukall:(

had to try and restore some balance in my mind so went to a small cops yesterday and took a few for the fridge, no hide just a shotgun a pocket full of carts and a flask!

443760157_7s0Ko7sRRVazxaGZViag.jpg.1cbde07971ec5cf4baf0a88446ff8bd6.jpg

roll on spring:laugh:

Glad I’m not the only one?

At least you managed to bag a few for the freezer???

• Like 1
On 02/02/2019 at 19:52, Longshanx said:

Had a day on the farm today, thought there might be a few pigeons scratting about, but nothing. The only pigeons in my field were the decoys ?

Called it a day about 13:30 and had a drive round the farm and managed to shoot a crow ( that’s just earned me a fiver?).

FC4FE8BC-B3BB-44DA-AD3C-EFD563C91442.jpeg

326577B5-283D-4E9F-8501-6389F5A5A89B.jpeg

Called it a day about 13:30 and had a drive round the farm and managed to shoot a crow ( that’s just earned me a fiver?)

How does shooting a crow earn you a fiver ?

How do you manage to shoot anything out of that hide ?  It's completely closed in.

Why did you think that it was worth setting up there ?  No birds feeding,   no crop showing through, freezing cold. And the field is big,  so you can see that if any were coming in to another part of the field. Nothing !

I can remember setting up on a field of new sown beans that had been blue the day before. I got there and nothing was on the field. I should have taken the hint.  If there are no birds feeding on the field give it half an hour and if nothing really starts to come in then go have a look round òr go home and mow the lawn or kick the cat but don't sit freezing your nuts off in the belief that the pigeon haven't anything better to do than come and find you in the hope of getting shot.

13 hours ago, Meece said:

Called it a day about 13:30 and had a drive round the farm and managed to shoot a crow ( that’s just earned me a fiver?)

How does shooting a crow earn you a fiver ?

How do you manage to shoot anything out of that hide ?  It's completely closed in.

Why did you think that it was worth setting up there ?  No birds feeding,   no crop showing through, freezing cold. And the field is big,  so you can see that if any were coming in to another part of the field. Nothing !

I can remember setting up on a field of new sown beans that had been blue the day before. I got there and nothing was on the field. I should have taken the hint.  If there are no birds feeding on the field give it half an hour and if nothing really starts to come in then go have a look round òr go home and mow the lawn or kick the cat but don't sit freezing your nuts off in the belief that the pigeon haven't anything better to do than come and find you in the hope of getting shot.

So many questions, have you studied interrogation techniques in the past?

1. The farmer pays £5 a crow up to 10 crows at the moment to hang in the fields.

2. Not the best camera angle had plenty of room.

3. This is a normally a flight line but the birds were on next doors land due to the weather. But thought I’d sit for a bit to see if I could bring them in. 

4. Packet up and had a wonder and that’s when I shot the crow.

Its all been a learning curve at the moment as I don’t t get time during the day to study any more flight lines or habits. Plus I did know where they were but the farmer has just drilled 100+ acres so the habits have changed to what I’d seen. 

I didn’t freeze my nuts off as I well wrapped up, still enjoyed the peaceful morning watching the wildlife.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Longshanx said:

So many questions, have you studied interrogation techniques in the past?

1. The farmer pays £5 a crow up to 10 crows at the moment to hang in the fields.

2. Not the best camera angle had plenty of room.

3. This is a normally a flight line but the birds were on next doors land due to the weather. But thought I’d sit for a bit to see if I could bring them in. 

4. Packet up and had a wonder and that’s when I shot the crow.

Its all been a learning curve at the moment as I don’t t get time during the day to study any more flight lines or habits. Plus I did know where they were but the farmer has just drilled 100+ acres so the habits have changed to what I’d seen. 

I didn’t freeze my nuts off as I well wrapped up, still enjoyed the peaceful morning watching the wildlife.

So many questions, have you studied interrogation techniques in the past?

It's just exercising the grey cells. ..... got to ask questions to ascertain why something did or didnt work and then one can modify actions to get a different result.

I love to interrogate feos about department procedures and decisions.  They generally don't know the answers and have to take advice which is scrutinised and then returned for clarification. Especially when certs arrive with glaring errors. Like no ammo allocation and ghost moderators and no expanding  missiles, ( hollow/soft  point bullets). Ect, ect. One time my certs were returned 4 times due to their glaring errors. Their rules, so get it right.

1. Very decent fellow your farmer.  Have you considered asking him to buy cartridges for you instead. Even if you actually went to get them they could be billed through his account or if you gave him the receipt for the cartridges he could put this through with his tax returns and even claim the vat back. You gain. He gains. ?

3. Consider taking a flag  with you( feed bag on a stick) and planting it over in that feeding field. If you shoot a load you can use it to carry birds back to vehicle, ( don't leave birds in plastic bags, they go rotten in a couple of hours).

Pigeon shooting is largely a game of luck and reconnaissance.  You never cease to learn.  Sometimes a field can be blue when you watch it but when you arrive there's not a bird or a flight will suddenly turn off. If there are birds on the field , walk them off, if they come back en mass don't shoot but walk them off. This will break up the flock and they will generally come back in ones or two's which is easy in comparison to packs of 50 ...60 zooming around the pattern  like a pack of moths.  I used to sit it out but if none come in within quarter of an hour then consider packing up or move somewhere else.   Good hunting.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Meece said:

So many questions, have you studied interrogation techniques in the past?

It's just exercising the grey cells. ..... got to ask questions to ascertain why something did or didnt work and then one can modify actions to get a different result.

I love to interrogate feos about department procedures and decisions.  They generally don't know the answers and have to take advice which is scrutinised and then returned for clarification. Especially when certs arrive with glaring errors. Like no ammo allocation and ghost moderators and no expanding  missiles, ( hollow/soft  point bullets). Ect, ect. One time my certs were returned 4 times due to their glaring errors. Their rules, so get it right.

1. Very decent fellow your farmer.  Have you considered asking him to buy cartridges for you instead. Even if you actually went to get them they could be billed through his account or if you gave him the receipt for the cartridges he could put this through with his tax returns and even claim the vat back. You gain. He gains. ?

3. Consider taking a flag  with you( feed bag on a stick) and planting it over in that feeding field. If you shoot a load you can use it to carry birds back to vehicle, ( don't leave birds in plastic bags, they go rotten in a couple of hours).

Pigeon shooting is largely a game of luck and reconnaissance.  You never cease to learn.  Sometimes a field can be blue when you watch it but when you arrive there's not a bird or a flight will suddenly turn off. If there are birds on the field , walk them off, if they come back en mass don't shoot but walk them off. This will break up the flock and they will generally come back in ones or two's which is easy in comparison to packs of 50 ...60 zooming around the pattern  like a pack of moths.  I used to sit it out but if none come in within quarter of an hour then consider packing up or move somewhere else.   Good hunting.

I’d feel a bit cheeky asking him to pay for cartridges, the £5s will go towards them, that’s when I finally start hitting some lol. 

All a learning curve at the moment but hopefully my perseverance will pay off?

6 hours ago, Longshanx said:

I’d feel a bit cheeky asking him to pay for cartridges, the £5s will go towards them, that’s when I finally start hitting some lol. 

All a learning curve at the moment but hopefully my perseverance will pay off?

I don't know if what I meant has come across.  I don't mean that you ask for £5 per crow and for him to buy you cartridges as well.  If you buy £50 of cartridges he doesn't get anything out of it, but if he buys £50 worth of cartridges (10 x £5 per crow ) he can run the ticket through with the. farm accounts and claim the amount back as tax / VAT. Everyone except the crows and the taxman gain.  It's not being cheeky, its being tax efficient.  He doesn't actually have to go and collect or chose what you get, all he needs is the receipt for the cartridges. The one problem is that you got to sort 10 x crows pretty pronto or the crop will be harvested before you shoot them. ?

Ps. It's not just a case of putting the lead on the target, It's being several steps ahead of the situation in general.  All of the time, in all situations.

Edited by Meece
  • Like 1