20 minutes ago, lurcherman 887 said:

Dont like the thought of taking birds from the sky 

I bump into the odd person mist netting and ringing birds when I,m on my travels always stop for a chat, surprising what’s about when you sit quietly in a wood, saw a guy catch a couple of pied fly catchers a couple of years ago in a wood I,ve walked in for years and never seen one ?

• Like 2

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Two goldies fighting over the teazle...lol 

Few on my feeders back in the summer.On a busy day they'll empty them.Photos are a bit shit but taken on my phone from indoors.

Golldie on the thistle 

Posted Images

Keep this topic going lads or have a look in the aviary birds section on here 

fascinated by hobbies like this 

sadly passing away with each generation , much like the pigeons

my little girl is studying wW1 at school and a local pigeon fancier went in with some and explained about the messenger system they used and how pigeons etc return 

she’s adopted one now , , her great grandad would be so proud . Not sure how she’d feel about the shamos though 

• Like 8

I get through about 60kg of peanuts and over 100kg of sunflower a year. Had the feeders up in a Acer in a conifer hedge for over 17 years. 

Today I saw more than 20 Goldies at the same time, the feeders are super busy at the mo. Even the Greater Spotted's are fairly tame, which I know is not common.

The sticky gear was called Lyme or lime. Grown out of that shit ?.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, leegreen said:

I get through about 60kg of peanuts and over 100kg of sunflower a year. Had the feeders up in a Acer in a conifer hedge for over 17 years. 

Today I saw more than 20 Goldies at the same time, the feeders are super busy at the mo. Even the Greater Spotted's are fairly tame, which I know is not common.

I was a kid in the 70s and and like you have grown out of all that but it was dead normal back then as was taking eggs and hatching them under the canary,s but in defence we would only take one egg so they could hatch the rest, bullfinch,s eggs were quite sought after as were goldie,s, there are many things we did which would be abhorrent today, but I guess they gave us an understanding and respect for it today ?

• Like 7
38 minutes ago, leegreen said:

Lime Sticks, I used to help putting them out for Bullfinches in orchards as a kid, used to trap every species of bird, most went for sale at the local markets.

• Like 1