Looking for some advice I've done nothing no different with my pup than I have with my previous dogs who wouldn't look twice at sheep my pups 6 and half months and since a pup same as I did with the others I've walked him through sheep to have him used to them his been fine up untill 2 weeks ago somethings changed asoon as he sees them his of behind them not in a vicious way just playing chasing them not attacking but I want to nip it in the bud before it turns vicious as most my ground is sheep I can't have a dog that's not stock broken as I say from 9 weeks old I've walked him amongst sheep but all of a sudden he likes to chase them 

• Like 1

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Shock collar, full wack and zap..... Sorted

The venison bit seems relevant to me , had a little bitch back from a mate who used my old deer x grey to line his bitch . Had her from a pup 8 weeks , live on my own farm so she always around sheep ,

You are right it needs sorting asap ,don't walk him in fields with sheep that will run away, speak to one of your farmers and take him to sheep in shed preferably sheep that are used to dogs, it's no

You are right it needs sorting asap ,don't walk him in fields with sheep that will run away, speak to one of your farmers and take him to sheep in shed preferably sheep that are used to dogs, it's no fun for a pup when they stand there ground.if that don't sort him a small shed with a couple of ram's will definitely put him in is place.

• Like 5

U tried leading him in the field with them, just crouched down along side him telling him no. let them settle not shouting, then walk round them  abit till they shift and just a tug of the lead every time with a sharp no. Mines 6 half months now An the process I go thru. I’ve got her now off the lead within 20 yards or so when they move just controlling with my tone.  Good luck ?

• Like 1

Both idears I have considered more the walking on the lead one as most sheep are out in fields now for lambing I was going to walk him and just take a riding crop and give him a smack up the bum every time he pulled and say no as I say up untill 2 weeks ago I could walk him through sheep with in 5 yards but since I've started showing him some working out ferreting and that so his now chasing his on everything that moves 

When you are out with the pup do you take other dogs? Try it on a long lead (10 meters or so) with the other dogs going about their usual business. Let him mooch about bit the minute he heads for a sheep then ‘check’ it. Quick tug on the lead and a stern no. What  Johnrussel says also works for me. What works for one dog won’t work for another. Need a couple of tricks up your sleeve. 

• Like 2

I always have stock broke mine same way I either hold them or peg them down up at farm then bag of feed and get the sheep around them if they show any interest a no and don't even look at them with a growling tone of voice how I've always trained as I don't treat or smack so they know difference in tone of voice between praise and a telling offl

1 hour ago, Pirate 9000 said:

You are right it needs sorting asap ,don't walk him in fields with sheep that will run away, speak to one of your farmers and take him to sheep in shed preferably sheep that are used to dogs, it's no fun for a pup when they stand there ground.if that don't sort him a small shed with a couple of ram's will definitely put him in is place.

+1

1 hour ago, the lamping ferreter said:

Looking for some advice I've done nothing no different with my pup than I have with my previous dogs who wouldn't look twice at sheep my pups 6 and half months and since a pup same as I did with the others I've walked him through sheep to have him used to them his been fine up untill 2 weeks ago somethings changed asoon as he sees them his of behind them not in a vicious way just playing chasing them not attacking but I want to nip it in the bud before it turns vicious as most my ground is sheep I can't have a dog that's not stock broken as I say from 9 weeks old I've walked him amongst sheep but all of a sudden he likes to chase them 

you should have hit him, 1st time he did it, you carnt pussyfoot  with all this  d(dont do this  dont do that crap , hit him. you got to put that (one) lesson in to his head, that sheep equal pain simple as that. My big dog  was ok when he was pup , and young dog, catching rabbits running through sheep lots of times to pick the rabbit up  no prob , but when he started to bump in to few other things when out, he got wound up coming back to me by sheep, didnt kill any but  could see  i need to stop him before he did . got him round the neck with his lead and yanked the fecker off the floor ,  then good wack with the end of the lead a cross his nose  it tender there for any dog . that  lesson deff went home to him  , he great now he dont even look at them . and  when there young pups 9 weeks old i let them look at sheep, i train them all of the lead right in with the sheep throw a ball among the sheep , what your  aiming  for, got to do he let them be oblivious  too them  and it works great , its only when they really get into there hunting mode  and killing things , like my dog did , you come down on them, after that  no prob it sorted .

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, bird said:

you should have hit him, 1st time he did it, you carnt pussyfoot  with all this  d(dont do this  dont do that crap , hit him. you got to put that (one) lesson in to his head, that sheep equal pain simple as that. My big dog  was ok when he was pup , and young dog, catching rabbits running through sheep lots of times to pick the rabbit up  no prob , but when he started to bump in to few other things when out, he got wound up coming back to me by sheep, didnt kill any but  could see  i need to stop him before he did . got him round the neck with his lead and yanked the fecker off the floor ,  then good wack with the end of the lead a cross his nose  it tender there for any dog . that  lesson deff went home to him  , he great now he dont even look at them . and  when there young pups 9 weeks old i let them look at sheep, i train them all of the lead right in with the sheep throw a ball among the sheep , what your  aiming  for, got to do he let them be oblivious  too them  and it works great , its only when they really get into there hunting mode  and killing things , like my dog did , you come down on them, after that  no prob it sorted .

Ohh no i did I really cracked him 2 or 3 times but he still never learnt I wasn't walking a sheep field the 2nd time only the road but he got over the fence and started chasing them and just whent to a deth ear but now I'm only going to lead walk him untill I can solve this issue I'm going to lead walk him amongst the sheep and when he pulls at them give him a crack with a stick but I just don't want him getting timmed 

Just now, the lamping ferreter said:

What's a good one to get I will try other methods of walking on a lead and giving him a slap and a hard no when he pulls to them if not I'll buy a collor 

If u go down that route go for a Pac 1 the power is easily set from a tickle to a wallop also has vibrate and beep on them 

You get a dummy collar in the set that you put on the dog for a while so it don't accosiate the collar with it I've used them on different dogs for recall and stock worked a treat