2 handed fly rod

Hi guys just a quick question I’m hoping someone might have knowledge of.

June last year my mate broke both wrists in a car accident and basically accepted he’d never fly fish again without even trying. We was talking about it other day and the subject came up of 2 handed fly rods. Are these any easier on the wrists? We normally just fish small commercials but not worried about looking like a numpty as long as he can get out and do it again. 

(I’ve set a personal goal to catch a double figure trout on a #4 weight once hunting season comes to an end and will feel bad leaving him at home ?)

Without being funny could he not put a wide strap around his lower forearm and the rod handle to take up some of the weight, I have a two handled bass fly rod that I use for pike and carp it is probably more beneficial when your playing a bigger fish than for casting, but in truth the only thing you can guarantee to fail is the thing you don’t attempt to do, so if your mate really wants it he will find a way good luck ✌️✌️?

• Like 1

Have a look at some "switch rods " . Sort of a single hander / lighter form of a double hander. Can be used as either. Got a cheap one a few years back when tennis elbow set in and the single hander was getting way to painful. 

• Thanks 1

If his rod has a screw in stopper just make a extension handle, or see if you can get one made, i have double and single handed rods, i was going to buy a switch rod for spey casting on a small river, they are expensive, i ended up making a extension handle for a 9/10 weight 10ft old hardy single hander, got a 6 weight spey line on and it fly's out, saved me some coin as well. Great for casting under overhanging trees tight on the river edge.

Is he right handed if so too use a double hander all the power is on the back hand (left) your forward hand (right) is purely for holding and direction ....it’s hard work casting a double hander all day .

tey getting one of those straps that keeps the butt onto your wrist and change the line to a shooting head type which will make casting easier