Canon eos advice

Well quite like the idea of a decent camera again, but I'm a little confused by the model numbers now on digital SLRs.

I have owned in the past 35mm eos 100  which was great with the custom functions and even had a scanner and little book to help set it up, now back then you chose your shots very carful because of development costs.

But now seems great to hold finger on shutter and fire away, so my question is what would be the equivalent model to an eos 100 or 30 in digital. 

Thanks 

3 hours ago, Chaff said:

Well quite like the idea of a decent camera again, but I'm a little confused by the model numbers now on digital SLRs.

I have owned in the past 35mm eos 100  which was great with the custom functions and even had a scanner and little book to help set it up, now back then you chose your shots very carful because of development costs.

But now seems great to hold finger on shutter and fire away, so my question is what would be the equivalent model to an eos 100 or 30 in digital. 

Thanks 

My boy has a eos 750D which is apparently the best one at the moment, I,m a point and shooter so not my bag, but if I remember rightly there is a newer model but it’s not as good for the extra dollar apparently, he,s into his fishing and uses it mostly for trophy shots but you can sync it with your mobile phone and use the phone as a remote you can also email the photos straight off the phone here is one he sent me within a few minutes of capture ??

C0B91A7F-13AF-45B6-A594-0CD0911318B9.jpeg

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Greyman said:

My boy has a eos 750D which is apparently the best one at the moment, I,m a point and shooter so not my bag, but if I remember rightly there is a newer model but it’s not as good for the extra dollar apparently, he,s into his fishing and uses it mostly for trophy shots but you can sync it with your mobile phone and use the phone as a remote you can also email the photos straight off the phone here is one he sent me within a few minutes of capture ??

C0B91A7F-13AF-45B6-A594-0CD0911318B9.jpeg

When I switched to digital I bought a canon g1 power shot with a fold out swivel screen with bipper just for fishing trophy shots lol

I wish I kept the lenses from my old eos now as mate said they would work on the newer stuff, cheers for reply mate I will take a look at the 750d.?

2 hours ago, Chaff said:

When I switched to digital I bought a canon g1 power shot with a fold out swivel screen with bipper just for fishing trophy shots lol

I wish I kept the lenses from my old eos now as mate said they would work on the newer stuff, cheers for reply mate I will take a look at the 750d.?

My sister had a 35m eos and yes all the lenses are compatible with her new dslr eos, the boy got his for £12 a month from curry,s if you don’t fancy shelling out a big lump in one go, all the lads on the boys syndicate use the same camera and a lot of the pictures are used in magazines and the website, he told me if you want it for self takes a fixed 50m lense is the one to get??

• Like 1

12 quid a month ain't going to break the bank sounds good, I was going to shell out on a new airgun but after some thought have decided to go for camera a different kind of shooting.

I'm not as into my fishing as I once was so was thing of going for a 300 or 500mm lens. 

Nice fish your boys holding by the way mid 30?

To be fair any of the EOS range would be an improvement on older cameras, I started out with a EOS 600D...

If you search around most bodies will come with a 18-55mm kit lens or some packages do the same but with a 18-55mm and a 70-300mm.

All depends what you’re wanting to photograph really, I assume it’s wildlife of talking about 300mm or 500mm lenses ???

If wildlife is going to be main use then look for something with a higher FPS (frames per second) and if looking at lenses of that size I would suggest the Canon 100-400 L series mkii - superb lens and excellent for wildlife on a crop sensor body...

The 80D is an amazing camera for the money https://panamoz.com/digital-cameras/canon/canon-eos-80d-dslr-camera-with-canon-ef-s-18-55mm-f-3-5-5-6-is-stm-lens-kit.html especially combined with this lens https://panamoz.com/lenses/canon/canon-ef-100-400mm-f-4-5-5-6l-is-ii-usm-lens.html but it’s a canny bit money to fork out at once I guess...

I will just add, I have used Panamoz for all my gear and they are an amazing company to deal with, they give a 3 year U.K. warranty and all equipment can be registered with Canon UK, I had a fault on my 1DX mkii, sent to Canon UK, emailed Panamoz the invoice and 7 minutes later the money was in my Paypal account to pay for Canons work...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F392226124016

Exactly what I was looking at a mate has one the same except his doesn't have USM on it not sure what that means.

What would be the cheapest used camera that I could put this on and have it work to full capacity ?

Any ideas as to the minimum fps to look for

Thanks in advance

18 minutes ago, Chaff said:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F392226124016

Exactly what I was looking at a mate has one the same except his doesn't have USM on it not sure what that means.

What would be the cheapest used camera that I could put this on and have it work to full capacity ?

Any ideas as to the minimum fps to look for

Thanks in advance

That lens is the older mark 1 version, still a cracking lens but they’re renowned for collecting dust as they are a push/pull zoom...

This place are great for 2nd hand market but still quite expensive compared to buying new from the other likes of Panamoz...

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/

Ideally you need to be looking at minimum of 3-4 FPS continuous shooting... Most entry level bodies should be fine and most will have a frame rate of this ?

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

I like the sound of that pay monthly malarkey, I’d rather fork out £12 a month than a few hundred!

What lens would be best for taking photos of dogs rather than wildlife? From say 10-30 yards away. 

Depends if stills or action not sure if the 18-55 standard lenses have IS on them which I think you need for decent action shots mate.

Getting some good advice from zandy he will know

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

Just for like terriers chained up etc

I would of thought the standard sort of one would do the job just fine mate.

Greyman mentioned further up the thread about a 50mm being best for portrait they cost about 100 quid.

Just looked on that second hand website that zandy put up.

Cheap cameras on there, looks to me like you pay a lot more for the new ones because they have a movie function which I'm not to bothered about 

Image stabilisation (IS) is extremely beneficial although not essential as the general rule of thumb is shutter speed should be at least of greater than focal length of lens - example 100mm lens should have minimum shutter speed of 1/100th second or 400mm lens would be minimum 1/400th second or preferably faster like 1/1000th second.

To capture action then shutter speeds of 1/500th or faster should do it depending on subject, the better the light the faster the shutter speed will be...

Standard kit lens will be great for general purpose photography and dogs sitting/portraits/landscape and also wildlife if you can get really close...

The closer you can get to a subject whether it be by field craft, length of lens or both combined the more detail will be retained in an image...

The beauty of DSLR’s is you can take 100s or 1000s of images and delete the crap and keep the good ones and cost nothing as you’re not paying for developing so can click and practice until your hearts content and just upgrade equipment over time....

Essentialy its more about the quality of glass/lens over it is the body, pay the money for the quality lens over a higher priced body.

• Like 1