big cat....real big cat....

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

was /is his title "expert" given to himself..... I have an image in my head of said expert......remember the fast show.....the two off road geeks...."its gripped its sorted" remember those two...

Made with someone fingers  mate  ,I’m doing it all the time round where grey man lives .

That’s why it’s important to scale any picture that will be put forward as proof, that picture was taken from a kitchen window I believe, it would not be hard to place a cardboard cutout in the same p

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Greyman said:

You really don’t know what your saying and your now in the point scoring game the camera gear is new and the cats were living for years totally Unknown about, that’s all unless anyone has something sensible to say or ask as this normally marks the beginning of the end on this topic ???

I didn't speak about camera gear? and leopards in Indian cities has been known for years. In indea they are predating half feral pigs and dogs, what are they eating in Bournemouth? Tofu? 

• Haha 2
42 minutes ago, gnipper said:

Before I saw the posts saying it was a bengal I was going to say it is, look at the height of it compared to them nettles it's walking past. I'm no big cat expert but surely they're taller than nettles. 

That’s why it’s important to scale any picture that will be put forward as proof, that picture was taken from a kitchen window I believe, it would not be hard to place a cardboard cutout in the same place, though the cats we are talking about are not as big as many expect,22”TTS would be a good size male      And yes sandymere they eat tofu titter titter some of the people I deal with actually go out to places like India and help out with the leopard projects and your thoughts and ideals on how simple it is in there own country to see them has been very distorted by your ability to turn on the telly and enjoy years of peoples work and life squeezed into 20mins, that’s not actually how long it took to film , some of the people I know have been going to India and the same with puma in the states and never seen one which is more normal than Everyman and his dog tripping over them  ?. Trigger I think I would sit on it for a while and let it sink in before I made my decision but one or two people I trust that have been involved in the research side of things for decades I would feel obliged to show them as it’s one of the holy grails and as they have spent a large percent of there lives looking think it only fair they get to see it first ??

• Like 4

And yes sandymere they eat tofu titter titter some of the peopleI deal with actually go out to places like India and helpout with the leopard projects and your thoughts andideals on how simple it is in there own country to seethem has been very distorted by your ability to turn on the telly and enjoy years of peoples work and life squeezed into 20mins," (Greyman) 

lol I didn't say it was easy to see them I said their presence has been known of for years. Personally I was aware of leopard's hunting in built up areas 50 years ago and it was well known long before that so the behaviour is hardly new.

As to what my thoughts are based on, I grew up in a world where ostrich egg omelettes were boring, where I made my mother a  bracelet as a birthday present from the  terminal hairs from a giraffes tail and bottle feeding a young wallaby was just a chore. Where visiters might bring interesting finds or gifts such as the Indian chipmunk I kept in the outhouse with my ever growing menagerie in the 60s. Visiters that inspired an interest in natural history that has not diminished over the intervening years. So the knowledge isn't solely based on a TV programme. Add to that 50 odd years hunting in various forms that means I know that a footprint in course sand could be anything and anyone who thinks otherwise is either a little silly or self deluded ?

Edited by sandymere
  • Like 1

Oh by the way Greyman, next time I'm up country I can see if any of my old collections survive, the plaster castes of prints would be a good reference for your local "experts"?. I had leopard, lion, tiger and cheetah amongst others, all collected myself by the age of 12?. I'm no expert but I looked at a lot of species and individuals to find one's good enough to caste. In those days I  had time and opportunity in truth only limited to my ability to purchase materials. ??

Edited by sandymere
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, sandymere said:

Oh by the way Greyman, next time I'm up country I can see if any of my old collections survive, the plaster castes of prints would be a good reference for your local "experts"?. I had leopard, lion, tiger and cheetah amongst others, all collected myself by the age of 12?. I'm no expert but I looked at a lot of species and individuals to find one's good enough to caste. In those days I  had time and opportunity in truth only limited to my ability to purchase materials. ??

A good little tip I was given recently for taking plastercasts is to carry a can of spray paint and spray a coat of paint into the track before taking the plaster cast I,ve never bothered myself but a few people I no do carry the equipment and cast prints, we do work with vets university,s and a zoo near you so we do have access to a lot of good samples for comparison,it’s not all just scruffy old oddballs, we just tend to be the feet on the ground ??

Big cat cadavers are sometimes found in places they aren't supposed to be,this is on an archery site I read,guy found this in central Kentucky where theres no history of them,dead on the side of the road.

51256864_2107438382624749_9211732550928564224_n.jpg

• Like 2
9 hours ago, mackem said:

Big cat cadavers are sometimes found in places they aren't supposed to be,this is on an archery site I read,guy found this in central Kentucky where theres no history of them,dead on the side of the road.

51256864_2107438382624749_9211732550928564224_n.jpg

Just like Bird's muntjac! :whistling:

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Just goes to show how hard it really is without using known captive animals or library pictures, there must be more than one as it’s a gene passed on by the parents, 2 melanistic leopards will have all black young were as a spotty one and a black one will throw up a mixture, i,m off to university later for a talk and slide show for the veterinary students done one last year and have been invited back to do it again so must be getting something right ????

• Like 2
On 13/02/2019 at 14:58, Greyman said:

Just goes to show how hard it really is without using known captive animals or library pictures, there must be more than one as it’s a gene passed on by the parents, 2 melanistic leopards will have all black young were as a spotty one and a black one will throw up a mixture, i,m off to university later for a talk and slide show for the veterinary students done one last year and have been invited back to do it again so must be getting something right ????

They prob psychology students really pal ??

• Haha 1