Mitxy and Hares

We have only our selves to blame, playing god and introducing shit to animals. It’s a crying shame if the hare population gets hammered as well as they are just starting to make a decent come back. The rabbits are taking a hammering also from man made disease. Ive said it before on here how can they ban hunting with dogs for being cruel then allow disease like that is beyond me. Especially myxie that’s a damn cruel way to go.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
3 minutes ago, maxhardcore said:

A lad sent me a video a week or ten days ago of a hare picked up in the York area which showed what looked like mixi.

A terrible shame ' it's no coincedence for me that all a sudden it's showing up when the powers that be are wanting the coursing  gangs off the land more than ever.

Cynical yes but could you put it past Scientists from developing mixi that infects hares ?????

Never heard of it whilst coursing was legal and above the law.

Used to find dead mitxy'd rabbits in a field with hares bouncing around, them years ago. If it was going to mutate and transfer surely it should've happened years ago. Makes you think Max mate, it makes you think ;)

Don't know the difference between Irish hare and brown hare except that brown hares are supposed to be bigger with a black stripe on the tail( google ?) I wonder if it effected brown hares would it also effect Irish hares. The hares around me are huge reddish things with no black on their tails but I couldn't see any other type been bigger or the foxes would be afraid of them. My first cross wheaten got within a hundred yards of one once after he accidentally stepped on it.

Hopefully nature will sort it out in the end and yes I agree max the timing could not be better for those opposed to coursing, also something I,ve been noticing on my cameras is the increase in rabbits living in woodlands as opposed to pasture land, only small populations but seem to be getting more and more I have two cameras in thick woodland along way from any grass at the moment and both have reasonable numbers of bunny,s on them all the time, I wonder if they are moving away from there normal habitat as a way of escaping all the viruses being thrown at them ?? I no in Spain they have captive rabbits that they are breeding and releasing as the decimation  is now having an impact on the Iberian lynx which need about a rabbit a day to survive so all is not lost for now✌️

12 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Hopefully nature will sort it out in the end and yes I agree max the timing could not be better for those opposed to coursing, also something I,ve been noticing on my cameras is the increase in rabbits living in woodlands as opposed to pasture land, only small populations but seem to be getting more and more I have two cameras in thick woodland along way from any grass at the moment and both have reasonable numbers of bunny,s on them all the time, I wonder if they are moving away from there normal habitat as a way of escaping all the viruses being thrown at them ?? I no in Spain they have captive rabbits that they are breeding and releasing as the decimation  is now having an impact on the Iberian lynx which need about a rabbit a day to survive so all is not lost for now✌️

That’s the thing greyman, the knock on effect to other animals especially with the decrease in rabbits. the rabbit has got a lot of predators who’s diet has a lot of rabbit in it. Birds of prey, stoats, weasels will suffer a knock on effect.  The birds of prey will start taking more small song birds and birds in general so they will suffer etc etc

3 minutes ago, trigger2 said:

That’s the thing greyman, the knock on effect to other animals especially with the decrease in rabbits. the rabbit has got a lot of predators who’s diet has a lot of rabbit in it. Birds of prey, stoats, weasels will suffer a knock on effect. 

The only thing thriving are grey squirrels and muntjac round here, my dogs catch more squirrels on my walks than anything else nowadays, 

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, maxhardcore said:

A lad sent me a video a week or ten days ago of a hare picked up in the York area which showed what looked like mixi.

A terrible shame ' it's no coincedence for me that all a sudden it's showing up when the powers that be are wanting the coursing  gangs off the land more than ever.

Cynical yes but could you put it past Scientists from developing mixi that infects hares ?????

Never heard of it whilst coursing was legal and above the law.

Fake news is responsible for some terrible situations personally it’s a result of a possible hard Brexit ? Who knows 

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, mushroom said:

The thread is about mitxy, not RHVD :whistling: :laugh:

Could be either or both diseases, each as bad as the other, there have been cases of both in hares in recent years. Personally i think VHD is the likely culprit. 

Edited by sandymere
5 minutes ago, sandymere said:

Could be either or both diseases, each as bad as the other, there have been cases of both in hares in recent years.

Can you supply the facts over the last few yrs of mixy hares ? But  plz don’t include the anti  hunt vet theory 

Edited by green lurchers