22lr first shooting help

6 minutes ago, Meece said:

And from this experiment we find that ? Come on tell us so that Deker and Alsone can quit bickering

A. .... We can all sleep soundly in our beds knowing that the risk of richochet has been  significantly overstated by Alsone and those who live in a 5 mile radius can stand easy and don't have to issue the tin hat that grandma wore in the war. 

Or

B. ..... the risk of uncontrolled richochet is so great that ALL  of the local population must be evacuated  24  hrs before and AFTER..... a 22lr  is used and that form pr1..ck must be filled in three weeks before Intended use and that the clergy are urged to prey for forgiveness for the user.

Ps. make sure that Alsone is issued a copy of the results in triplicate so that he can file it in alphabetical order.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wilbur foxhound is right when he says that a ricochet doesn’t just go forward. I got hold of some 22lr tracers and was very surprised at the angles they ricocheted  . For anyone inexperienced with thi

What comic did you read that in???    That would be more than difficult as many .22lr START sub sonic and even HV will be sub sonic in fractions of a second after exiting the barrel, and most cer

Hi to whoever is reading. Collected a 22lr yesterday as my land is passed for it. Anyhow ive had a hmr for a few weeks and after a lot of playing woth it i shot a rabbit at 140 yards and what a mess.

12 minutes ago, Meece said:

And from this experiment we find that ? Come on tell us so that Deker and Alsone can quit bickering

A. .... We can all sleep soundly in our beds knowing that the risk of richochet has been  significantly overstated by Alsone and those who live in a 5 mile radius can stand easy and don't have to issue the tin hat that grandma wore in the war. 

Or

B. ..... the risk of uncontrolled richochet is so great that ALL  of the local population must be evacuated  24  hrs before and AFTER..... a 22lr  is used and that form pr1..ck must be filled in three weeks before Intended use and that the clergy are urged to prey for forgiveness for the user.

Undecided. I need to hear more from Alsone and Deker before making a decision. :angel:

Well guys i think in my situation i am safe to say that today i have tried to get a ricochet only for my confidence in my shooting a new calibre at different ranges.

Dont get me wrong i wont be shooting a rabbit in the middle of a field at 100 yards off the bipod. I think the ricochet problem is in fact of people not knowing their land and shallow angles shot at will throw any bullet up in the air and i will always be shooting in a downward position make to them chances lower. I know that all shots are different but i dont think i have a problem of a ricochet going more than 1000 yards

Thanks for all your info guys 

2 hours ago, walshie said:

Undecided. I need to hear more from Alsone and Deker before making a decision. :angel:

you wicked devil you ?.  It's all for sport and entertainment.  God knows what would happen if a more powerful round was used. Perhaps we could have sport and entertainment with that idea also. Still roll on until the hordes of rabbits re emerge in the spring. The 22lr will sing its tune again. Not that i've heard it more than a couple of times over about 40 years.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Davetyler said:

Well guys i think in my situation i am safe to say that today i have tried to get a ricochet only for my confidence in my shooting a new calibre at different ranges.

Dont get me wrong i wont be shooting a rabbit in the middle of a field at 100 yards off the bipod. I think the ricochet problem is in fact of people not knowing their land and shallow angles shot at will throw any bullet up in the air and i will always be shooting in a downward position make to them chances lower. I know that all shots are different but i dont think i have a problem of a ricochet going more than 1000 yards

If you can make a .22LR sub ricochet 1000 yards you will be in the record books!

I suspect Alsone will now quote some expert saying they may go 1.5 miles!

:laugh::thumbs:

Well after yesterday i realise that if shooting high up and shooting into the floor with nothing or nobody around you within a good distance it is unlikley that a bullet can travel far after a solid impact on quarry then into earth then upwards it wont have much energy to reach very far.

As for these scary storied of them traveling a million miles after a ricochet and taking the head off elephants must be by people who dont understand the bullet and power that they produce. 

Shot it at targets on the field stood up and didnt get a single ricochet thats out of 75 shots at 60 yards

2 hours ago, Davetyler said:

Well after yesterday i realise that if shooting high up and shooting into the floor with nothing or nobody around you within a good distance it is unlikley that a bullet can travel far after a solid impact on quarry then into earth then upwards it wont have much energy to reach very far.

As for these scary storied of them traveling a million miles after a ricochet and taking the head off elephants must be by people who dont understand the bullet and power that they produce. 

Shot it at targets on the field stood up and didnt get a single ricochet thats out of 75 shots at 60 yards

??? those conclusions can't be right.??? ... Some bloke who USED to have something to do with basic SAYS.  that it is commonly known that a soft lead bullet Will deform on contact is FAR MORE LIKELY TO DEFLECTthan a hard Jacketed bullet.  .... well,   what do I know ? But goodness knows how many thousands of 22lr I have shot on all sorts of ground and I have yet to have any PROBLEM  with Mr Rick O'shea.

The conclusions that yòu have stated are BACKED BY PRACTICAL TEST IN FIELD CONDITIONS, rather than reporting random ideas . this is how some of the stupid regulations that we suffer from have been fueled by some BRIGHT SPARK CLOD from basic  and then regurgitated by feos  who are just semi retired plods that aren't exactly unbiased. This allied to every force just interpreting the law as they see fit and making it up as they go along. I don't care what people say about basic. As far as i am concerned they should be ripping the dartments another port hole and defending the members  who pay their wages AND NOT SITTING IN A COSY RELATIONSHIP and having regular meetings( every few months)  to disicuss points of view. Instead of demanding that certs should be issued quickly without delay rather than months or keep issuing section 7's. Ect, ect.

Edited by Meece
On 03/02/2019 at 19:35, delswal said:

Alsone, you mentioned earlier in the thread about your friend shooting when you were forward of the gun, why did you go forward of the gun if you knew he was shooting ? not the safest or smartest of moves to knowingly put yourself in the field of fire 

He wasn't supposed to be shooting. He was taking care of some maintenance in a barn. I told him I was going to go down the property with my air rifle whilst he was doing that. So I went out, he went in the barn doing maintenance. He knew I was out and in which direction I'd gone. After about 20 mins, I was walking back to the barn along the edge of field adjacent to the path through the property but behind a broken line of bushes that were acting as hedging, when he in the meantime had come out of the barn, and instead of waiting for me to return, had spotted a rabbit on the stony path, decided that I was still somewhere a long way down the property and seeing the property ahead and sight picture behind the rabbit was clear, decided to take the shot for the rabbit. A bad decision and one that really shows how sometimes you have resist taking shots that maybe unsafe even if at 1st glance they appear relatively safe. All the indicators from his position showed the shot to be safe apart from the fact that he knew I was some where ahead. In his mind, given no-one was in sight, he believed I was several fields away - presumption is the mother of all f*ckups as they say. So having no-one in sight, a clear sight picture and what appeared to be a safe and clear backstop, he took the shot. As I've already indicated, the Winchester sub passed through the rabbit, hit a stone in the path, deformed and ricocheted without a noise, although I could hear the deformed bullet coming towards me from the air it was pushing out of the way. I stood there and heard the bullet pass over might right should not too many feet away. A clearly very danergous situation and one that shows the danger of presuming something is safe rather than knowing something is safe. 

On 03/02/2019 at 21:14, Davetyler said:

I'm glad you've put your mind at ease. Ricochets aren't predictable, they usually arise because of the factors already discussed, stones in the ground, shallow angles, wet grass. There's nothing you can do to guarantee you won't get a ricochet, just try to avoid conditions you know are likely to cause them and try to shoot in a direction where they'll be unlikely to leave your land if they do occur. No LR ricochet is going to go 1000 yds or even 100yds. The deformed bullet will nearly always lose energy at less than 100 yds. I would estimate the one in my case travelled around 40-50yds after the rabbit.

There's been a lot of stirring in this thread. However, I still stand by what I said, that .22LR is more prone than many other calibres. That doesn't mean .22LR or every shot is dangerous. It just means use a bit more awareness of your surroundings.

Edited by Alsone

Thanks alsone i understand how people have different opinions and that it did get a bit over the top of facts on what people read instead of what of people know and tested. Thats why is started this thread as all i could find is people sayint that a ricochet can wipe an army of a million out at 100 miles away. I know know that it is down to the shooter and the lay of his individual land. Ive been out with the lr 2day and fired another 100 rounds and not one rick, although im not saying it will never hapen but my shooting style lowers the chance of it hapening.

I again thank everyone who helped me on this thread 

When you say not 1 ric, just be aware most don't make the typical cowboy ping sound. A look at the tracer video will show that most ric's are silent (at least from the shooters pov). You're only going to get the ping sound when the ric breaks the sound barrier. Otherwise you might not hear a thing. I never heard a thing from the one that came towards me up until I could hear the deformed bullet pushing the air out of the way. Then it was a quiet rushing sound not a ping.

Like I said above, caution is the way forward. There's no need to be over the top but equally just be surroundings aware as they can happen especially with LR ammo. Happy shooting.

8 hours ago, Alsone said:

When you say not 1 ric, just be aware most don't make the typical cowboy ping sound. A look at the tracer video will show that most ric's are silent (at least from the shooters pov). You're only going to get the ping sound when the ric breaks the sound barrier. Otherwise you might not hear a thing. I never heard a thing from the one that came towards me up until I could hear the deformed bullet pushing the air out of the way. Then it was a quiet rushing sound not a ping.

Like I said above, caution is the way forward. There's no need to be over the top but equally just be surroundings aware as they can happen especially with LR ammo. Happy shooting.

:laugh: What comic did you read that in???   

That would be more than difficult as many .22lr START sub sonic and even HV will be sub sonic in fractions of a second after exiting the barrel, and most certainly after hitting anything and expending vast amounts of energy in the process of ricocheting!  You will never get a ricochet (of any calibre) to INCREASE in speed to break the sound barrier, they decrease dramatically due to energy loss, if they were that fast to start with the boom will already have taken place, commonly circa 3-4 feet out of the barrel, they are slowing down not getting faster.

You don't hear a sonic boom, if you hear anything its simply air disruption.

• Like 2

You're probably right Deker although I have heard differing explanations. One way a bullet can be sub sonic but also supersonic in theory is it's possible for a tumbling edge to be supersonic whilst the rest of the bullet is not. A good example of this is the tip of a helicopter blade where the blade may be subsonic but the tip may be supersonic (it travels a further distance that the rest of the blade so the tip is  also travelling faster than the rest of the blade).  That could happen with a folded out petal on a bullet. However, I suspect you're right and I was wrong, it most probably is just the deformed shape forming a passage that air can pass through quickly causing a siren effect on a few bullets.

As an aside, interesting analysis of ricochet here: 

https://www.bevfitchett.us/ballistics/ricochet-analysis-introduction.html

Edited by Alsone