Internet providers and speeds

11 minutes ago, South hams hunter said:

Where you based? 

At the end of the longest line going, I had to switch to fibre last year to get anything half worth having, but the fibre is only to the end of my close, bit of tin still the rest of the way.  Big improvement but I have already spoken about Fibre right to the house!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

always best to shop around,you get nothing for staying with the same company these days

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Deker said:

Is that for real, have you checked it, fastest I've come across without something special going on!

:thumbs:

Yea I checked it I just upgraded to  fibre been with Plusnet for years.

Even my Plusnet sim  only deal with EE is  750 mins 2gb and unlimited text costs me £5 a month. 

1 hour ago, South hams hunter said:

BT don't own the exchanges, open reach do. Sky are LLUs are responsible for themselves. 

Open reach do not throttle anything and a lot of LLUs will offer higher speeds than companies that use openreach

Jeez ya lucky I said BT, I've only just got used to not calling them all GPO ?

My internet is 5hite !

We're with Post Office, who piggy back from TalkTalk, who probably piggy back BT or summat. :(

We get 2meg download speed, but only on a good day - upload speed is in geological time !

BUT.......we get unlimited broadband, unlimited calls (which is good, as the good Lady is forever on the phone !) and unlimited calls to mobiles at weekends.

The only fibre installed round here is BT, but they can shove their prices, so I reckon I'm stuck with what I've got...........the OpenReach fella came to repair a fault and had to travel nearly 5 miles to the nearest exchange !

BT just make the fast places faster and to hell with the rest. You get some farm house at the end of the line in the middle of now where your screwed. No way will BT spend spend the dosh to get you on a par with every one else

Edited by terryd
47 minutes ago, walshie said:

Openreach are testing fibre to the property 1000mbps round this way at the moment. I can imagine how expensive that would be. 

My youngest stepson went to Japan last year, and he says speeds like that are common over there - lightning fast !

To some extent, though, are you not governed by how fast your device can process the information it receives ?

9 minutes ago, Blackbriar said:

My youngest stepson went to Japan last year, and he says speeds like that are common over there - lightning fast !

To some extent, though, are you not governed by how fast your device can process the information it receives ?

You're also governed by the speed at the other end I would imagine. 

14 minutes ago, South hams hunter said:

There's plenty of other options now that aren't fixed line, 4g averages 30-60 so why anyone accepts less than that I'll never know

Assuming you can get 4g. We can in our house but it's a bit hit or miss. 

Tested my speed earlier on, its approx 9.5Mbps with Sky.

I'm on the basic broadband package not the high speed fibre.

However when i looked into my package earlier it says speeds up to 24Mbps, so i may give them a call to see why iv'e only got 9.5Mbps

SINDASOX