Am I looking at the right thing?

Hello chaps, I’m after a bit of advice, I keep looking at cameras as all my pictures are taken with my phone at the minute, now I know nothing about photography so was thinking of an entry level DSLR, the one that keeps coming up is the Canon eos 4000d, would this camera be any good for general wildlife photography and is it worth the £350 price tag, it comes with a 18-55mm and 75-300mm lens, any advice would be greatly received or any other recommendations, I don’t want to spend thousands in case it’s not for me and it need to be pretty much idiot proof with me behind it ?

It’s certainly a good start if you are keen to learn photography or will work easily enough as a point and shoot in full auto mode, I started out with a Canon 600D about 5/6 years ago...

Whilst it’s easy to put everything in full auto it is definitely worth learning what the camera is capable of and unleashing its potential so to speak as you’ll end up with far superior images - YouTube can be your best friend...

Like I say I’m a Canon user, I’m certainly nowhere near professional but a very keen enthusiast - here are some of my images https://www.flickr.com/photos/94724826@N08/ 

Take a look at this thread too, AV is a mode on your camera that is Semi - auto, might help you understand what your camera is doing...

If you need any help or advice, just shout, I’m sure there are others on hear that could contribute or advise too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, zandy01 said:

It’s certainly a good start if you are keen to learn photography or will work easily enough as a point and shoot in full auto mode, I started out with a Canon 600D about 5/6 years ago...

Whilst it’s easy to put everything in full auto it is definitely worth learning what the camera is capable of and unleashing its potential so to speak as you’ll end up with far superior images - YouTube can be your best friend...

Like I say I’m a Canon user, I’m certainly nowhere near professional but a very keen enthusiast - here are some of my images https://www.flickr.com/photos/94724826@N08/ 

Take a look at this thread too, AV is a mode on your camera that is Semi - auto, might help you understand what your camera is doing...

If you need any help or advice, just shout, I’m sure there are others on hear that could contribute or advise too.

Some absolutely amazing images there mate, fabulous, thanks for posting!

Cheers, D.

• Thanks 1
41 minutes ago, Stavross said:

Thank you for that, them pictures are amazing, I think I’m going to treat myself to the canon and see how I get in with it ?

Thank you...

If you get stuck or got any questions just post on here or PM...

If you’d have had it a few weeks ago you could’ve photographed the short eared owls, there’s been 6 hunting daily on the common of Zinc Works Road near Saltholme... 

I’m guessing quite local to you if you’re in Teesside...

I bought my Mrs the eos  700d as she loves photographing wildlife and the dogs, scenery.

she loves it, everything in full auto as she don’t know what half of it does, but...she has taken some excellent pics, loads of crap as well, but every once in a while she gets something perfect.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Stavross said:

Thank you for that, them pictures are amazing, I think I’m going to treat myself to the canon and see how I get in with it ?

If the pain of spending all that money on a camera hurts a little, my son recently bought the latest eos DSL’s from curry,s, costs him £12 a month as he said he could not part with almost £700 in one hit for a camera, but won’t miss the £12 ??

Well thanks for the advice, I’ve bit the bullet and bought the canon with the extra lens, I’ve watched every review I can find and although it’s an entry level camera no one says it’s not worth the money and if I learn to use it it’s a lot more than a point and shoot, so we’ll give it a go ?

• Like 2

Might be too late if already bought but worth buying smaller SD cards over one larger one...

I would buy 2 x 16gb cards over 1 x 32gb, that way you always have a spare, also sometimes if you’re very unlucky they can end up corrupt/faulty...

Just my way of doing things. 

Look forward to seeing some photos of what you capture.

• Like 1

I haven’t got the sd yet so I think that would be the way to do it, I mentioned it to the missus this morning and she went out and bought it and said if it was left to me to make a decision about spending money I’d never get one, I hope she doesn’t want the cash off me ?

7 hours ago, zandy01 said:

Whereabouts in the Borders are you Chev ???

i know a guy that photographs wild Goshawks in Jedburgh somewhere, spends about 200 hours a year to get maybe an hours worth of visits from the birds...

just outside kelso, there's a few goshawks about seen one while beating

Once again lads thanks for your help, got in from work and the missus had pick it up for me, battery on charge and she’s picking me up a couple of sd cards   In the morning while I’m out on my last day at the pheasants, she a good un, hopefully get to play with it after the weekend ?

993D6420-571C-4800-9563-F486FD8D1E37.jpeg

• Like 1