Parallex question

Just a quick question if you set your parallex at 40yds and zero it in and then you change your parallex to 50yds does that change your zero point? For many years thought it didn't but some people say it does so not sure.

Thanks

Wilbs 

Edited by wilbs

In all honesty, I have no idea as I only use side focus scopes so not an issue but bringing my logic into play, which no doubt is wrong, I would have thought the scope would need zeroing again at the new setting. Interesting topic.

Phil

29 minutes ago, LuckOrJudgement said:

I always thought it was only mag that effected zero? As in first and second focal plane?

It doesn't matter if its 1st or 2nd focal plane, Magnification should NEVER effect ZERO, only potentially the perception of flight path to ZERO!

If it does I'd bin the scope!

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1
19 hours ago, wilbs said:

Just a quick question if you set your parallex at 40yds and zero it in and then you change your parallex to 50yds does that change your zero point? For many years thought it didn't but some people say it does so not sure.

Thanks

Wilbs 

NO, just your eyes/focus....

..….cheap scopes who knows???

Cheers for the replies lads, am even more confused now!

Got my Mrs to email the technical dept at Hawke today must admit they were brilliant they got straight back to me with an email trying to explain it and gave me a number to call if I was still unsure so going to give them a call tomorrow as it's easier to explain over the phone etc so will see how that goes.?

It's surprising on the number of variations of answers you get from different people you would think there would be a simple answer that everybody would know including myself ?

Ahhhh. Parallax. Love it when this comes around. I personally don’t think it does but that simple finger experiment suggests otherwise. Finger up and out at arms length in front of you at a point of aim or on aim at something 10ft or 30ft away. Close your none dominant eye and move your head around looking at your finger on target. It moves all over the shop. Over the target, left and right. Parallax on this short focal plane does effect zero, if your finger is ‘zeroed’. Now if your finger is over a target 30 yards away, and you move your head side to side,  it stays put. There is no parallax that can be noticed at that distance. Naturally that is only at 0x magnification. 

Basically, if you can absolutely garantuee your set up perfectly, parallax will not effect zero. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Deker said:

It doesn't matter if its 1st or 2nd focal plane, Magnification should NEVER effect ZERO, only potentially the perception of flight path to ZERO!

If it does I'd bin the scope!

I stand corrected.

It's the degree of holdover that gets affected by changing the magnification at a given range.

If you always shoot at the same setting this isn't a problem.

3 hours ago, LuckOrJudgement said:

I stand corrected.

It's the degree of holdover that gets affected by changing the magnification at a given range.

If you always shoot at the same setting this isn't a problem.

I think I see where you are coming from, but if we are talking ZERO, then it will not change with 1st or 2nd Focal plane and it will not change with magnification.

If your zero is (for example 100yards) then that is what you will hit regardless (all else being equal), first/second/magnification will not effect ZERO.

There is NO holdover to consider if you are shooting at whatever  ZERO you have set, with 1st/2nd or magnification change, just differences up to and past ZERO!

I think that's where you are going with above post. :thumbs:

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Deker said:

I think I see where you are coming from, but if we are talking ZERO, then it will not change with 1st or 2nd Focal plane and it will not change with magnification.

If your zero is (for example 100yards) then that is what you will hit regardless (all else being equal), first/second/magnification will not effect ZERO.

There is NO holdover to consider if you are shooting at whatever  ZERO you have set, with 1st/2nd or magnification change, just differences up to and past ZERO!

I think that's where you are going with above post. :thumbs:

Nicely put that man.

Phil