I didn't want to hijack another thread with this question. I've asked an avid airgunner and he couldn't really give me a proper answer so I thought I'd ask here.

I can possibly understand why someone might want a 22 and a 177. I can also understand why someone might want a springer and a PCP. That would make 4 guns. A 22 springer, a 22 PCP, a 177 springer and a 177 PCP. I know there's other calibres but I'm trying to stick with the common ones.

My question is why do some people want 2, 3, 4 or more (for instance) 22 springers? If a 22 airgun is accurate and powerful enough, why would anyone want more than one? You can only shoot one at a time.

Genuine question. Not a pisstake. :thumbs:

P.S. I have another question after you've answered this. 

In all honesty, if i had the money, id have a room full of em purely as a collection, same as collecting anything but i havent. And if i did it would do my f#@*ing head in deciding which to take out so i kind of see where your coming from so i think its from a collection perspective??

• Like 1

I mainly just use my air arms for most things  but take a back up springer as i travel 20 miles to that permission , but the wembley trackers handy for shooting out the truck windows . then i have a webley Osprey but thats just a antiquite  now , if your into shooting its easy to build up a few guns after a lifetime in the game 

• Like 1

sold all but 1 gun now,sick of wasting money on buying different air guns,your right you can only shoot one at a time ,you spend the rest of the time polishing the ones you don't use

• Like 1

I’ve got a hw35 needs restoring a crosman ratcatcher xl and the newly acquired hw99. 

I bought the crosman realised not suitable bought the 99 tried selling the crosman got messed around and decided to keep it for now as shot a rat at the bird feeder other week.

mind I would love a air pistol a relum tornado for nostalgia and quite fancy a bsa ultra ?

• Like 1

Personally, I'm about getting what works...I don't have 2 of anything except .22lr, but one is bolt and the other semi, so they serve different (all be it marginally overlapping) purposes.

I'm not a gun collector, ALL my guns are tools, but some people seem to be collectors, that's life, up to them!

:thumbs:

• Like 1

I can understand people having several old guns. Nostalgia is also part of the shooting hobby. It's nice to own the old guns that Braught so much enjoyment years ago and to use them again is great regardless of calibre and collecting is a hobby for some. I took my brother out with an old webley bolt action on pheasents last year. He bloody loved it. Regarding owning several air guns I'm not sure but if they make you happy then great! Enjoying your hobby and appriciating your guns that's what it's all about.

• Like 1

I never thought about collecting what I consider a tool. It's like having a collection of screwdrivers IMO, but fair enough if that's your thing.  Like Deker, I have 2 x 22lrs, a semi auto and a bolt action, but they have different uses so I don;t consider them duplicates.

I suppose it's different with airguns which (at the moment) are unlicenced, so you can get as many as you like. 

Cheers for the answers. I'll start a new post with my other question.

Whilst we are all keen shooting men otherwise we would not be on here but it is not just the act of shooting for a number of people, it is also about ownership. I take great pleasure in owning certain items and have collected things that please me and guns are no exception. I know of two people who have strong rooms in their homes to store all the guns they own.

At one time I had 9 kayaks that I used for fishing both freshwater and at sea. I simply enjoyed taking different kayaks out but confess had to get rid of most of them because they took so much space. They didn't cost me anything though as I was sponsored otherwise I would not have had so many.

Phil

• Like 1

Personally I can afford it so why not?

A very true addadge "beware the man with one gun", but I personally enjoy owning the springers I could only dream about forty years ago. It's also partly trying to stop them being lost for ever.

I only use two ultra se,s in .177 for work, I rarely get time to hunt for pleasure, but if I do it will be with one of the "classics".

• Like 3

A good question. 

For me I'm an air rifle shooting enthusiast and for many years I enjoyed owning and shooting a varied collection of air rifles. 

Lately though, I find myself turning to only a few guns which, have provided me with fantastic sport and I just cannot sell. The memories I have, of shooting on warm summer evenings in beautiful country with them is too powerful. 

I had a fantastic HW97k and scope rig which, I have sold to a great chap and friend here but, in hindsight I really wish I hadn't. It was a rifle that was getting left behind while I took out other guns and, letting it stay unused was a great shame, I thought. 

It's the enjoyment of owning them which outweighs the fact that any single one of them, is more than capable of doing a pest controlling job.

All the best.

Pianoman.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

good question walshie sensible for a change. I have 6 air rifles 2 benjamins 347 and 392 both pump ups I like the idea of being self contained power then an original 45 in .177 always wanted one could never afford one only £50 second hand then my treat bsa superten great gun but that shite reg is trouble some then pr900w just fancied one to tinker with ok nice and light ok for the money then on a whim I bought a p15 bullpup needed a bit of love but it's fettled now so at 6 I feel I have all bases covered no air In bottle take the 45 or 347 or 392 but as said before

beware of the man with one gun

nobody shoots loads of guns as good as the man  with one only fact

bsasuperten

• Like 1