• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nobody does that as it would be illegal. Pest Foxes would need to be dealt with humanely. Moving live animals would leave Terriermen open to accusations of cruelty and baiting and can only be done und

I think some of you boys are taking the  "reward" the wrong way, I'm pretty sure the original poster meant the carcass as the "reward". It does no harm what so ever, I've had plenty that won't to

Well put Rob, the best digging dogs I’ve seen had little or no interest in a dead fox. And some of the shittiest, cowardly dogs I’ve seen would rag one like it’s life depended on it. Edited to ad

Posted Images

A reward what the f**k. I've never given a reward at any stage they seem happy enough to been underground taking its quarry on. Sorry but a reward we ain't in the Kennel club on this site buddy. OMG holy shit I hope this don't come into the terrier game as well.

• Haha 2

I’ve never rewarded, as soon as I’ve broke through I remove the dog, his job is done and he should be keen to go again regardless if he’s had a shake of a carcass. Sure some lads do it differently and let the dogs rag a carcass but I don’t see the need, seen a few good dogs that wouldn’t bother with a dead fox.

• Like 4

Well put Rob, the best digging dogs I’ve seen had little or no interest in a dead fox. And some of the shittiest, cowardly dogs I’ve seen would rag one like it’s life depended on it.

Edited to add, when it was legal we would always let the quarry run, I often thought it fired the dog up more than just shoot and give a rag.

Edited by Rabbit Hunter
  • Like 7
7 hours ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

Well put Rob, the best digging dogs I’ve seen had little or no interest in a dead fox. And some of the shittiest, cowardly dogs I’ve seen would rag one like it’s life depended on it.

Edited to add, when it was legal we would always let the quarry run, I often thought it fired the dog up more than just shoot and give a rag.

I said it on here before rh that the best bitch I ever owned never put a tooth in a fox above the sod simply had no interest. 

10 hours ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

Would that Brock dog off me rag a dead one?His mother wouldnt even sniff one once it was dead.

The original question is does it do any harm to not reward a dog with a rag and the answer is no it doesn’t .Personally I think if you start a pup off by teasing it with a carcass then it will always be a ragger .Starting a pup the natural way ie no encouragement at all by an earth usually makes for an animal that  sees the work as it’s calling and not the end of the job .However ,any terrier can be wound up enough to rag a carcass ,it’s in their nature especially if joined by another .Ive owned both ,it’s not easy keeping some off a dead fox when they are screaming in your ear .

• Like 2

It's in any dog whatever breed to naturally rag things, a little encouragement as pups does no harm I think, a few rats and a bit of bushing will get any late starters going, but only as pups once they know the score I stop. The best dogs I've had wouldn't look at anything dead no matter how much encouragement you gave them.

• Like 4
On 22/01/2019 at 13:39, howdeeposxxt said:

A reward what the f**k. I've never given a reward at any stage they seem happy enough to been underground taking its quarry on. Sorry but a reward we ain't in the Kennel club on this site buddy. OMG holy shit I hope this don't come into the terrier game as well.

I agree the work is the reward and only reward.  Imagine keeping kibble in your pocket and at the end you open it up and say good boy as your shaking the bag of treats and he come running out to get them!  Hahahaha

I think some of you boys are taking the  "reward" the wrong way, I'm pretty sure the original poster meant the carcass as the "reward".

It does no harm what so ever, I've had plenty that won't touch them and even more that can't get enough in their mouths.  Back in the day I've let loose plenty of foxes, I either let the youngsters watch it run down the field or let the fox have fair law then tip the youngster loose to chase it and hunt it once it looses sight. It does wonders for their confidence and it's reward enough instead of killing everything as the stupid laws dictate. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
3 hours ago, dillydog said:

I think some of you boys are taking the  "reward" the wrong way, I'm pretty sure the original poster meant the carcass as the "reward".

It does no harm what so ever, I've had plenty that won't touch them and even more that can't get enough in their mouths.  Back in the day I've let loose plenty of foxes, I either let the youngsters watch it run down the field or let the fox have fair law then tip the youngster loose to chase it and hunt it once it looses sight. It does wonders for their confidence and it's reward enough instead of killing everything as the stupid laws dictate. 

What ,am I the only one that  gives them treats  when  they come out when called .

• Haha 4
  • BIG TRG changed the title to I