I've just secured a bit of ratting at a mates place and will be using mainly the Air rifle and would like to try the "whips" but as I work away in the week and there's no way he'd remove them it'll be mostly shooting at night.

I saw on youtube, a couple of fella's using a bait they squeezed out of a plastic bottle, I think the base was cat food.

Has anyone got a recipe?  Try as I might I can't find the video on YT again...…. ? 

Another?for peanut butter, everything from mice upwards love it, even badger,s will travel miles for peanuts, used to have bird feeders up in an old allotment near my house and would take the kids over after dark to see the badgers cleaning up any peanuts the birds had dropped, ???

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Outofnowhere said:

Having been away working all week, the moby data took a beating but I finally found it, he was using liquidised salmon flavoured cat food or trout pellets and sunflower oil.....

Peanut butter sounds a lot easier! :o:thumbs:

Put some wooden pallets out. It don't matter what food you have, if they don't feel safe they won't sit and feed. I put pallets down and the rats, once they are comfortable with them, will sit and eat from under there. They'll feel it's safe from owls especially if you're shooting at night. Rats are Neophobic, they are suspicious of anything new, so give it a while with what ever you try. I've known rats that won't take a new food source even 6 weeks after it has been placed out , I've put down a trail cam and seen them with their nose 20mm from the food but they won't touch it. Also they have a crap sense of taste but if they like the smell and the feel of it against the roof of their mouth and between their incisors and molars, the diastema, they eat it. This is why they eat candles and kids crayons, there's no nutrition in them but it feels nice in their mouths. As above, I've used Nutella and oil and I add smooth peanut butter.If it's runny the can't grab it and scarper.

• Like 1

I put a victor in a camera proven soffit where a solitary rat was hanging out. It was baited with Nutella/ Peanut butter mix and it took 6 weeks before that rodent succumbed to temptation.

Even then, the bugger was laid in front of the trap with the mark of the kill-bar across its neck - as if it had managed to pull free just before it died.

On 27/01/2019 at 21:31, PLEDGEY said:

Put some wooden pallets out. It don't matter what food you have, if they don't feel safe they won't sit and feed. I put pallets down and the rats, once they are comfortable with them, will sit and eat from under there. They'll feel it's safe from owls especially if you're shooting at night. Rats are Neophobic, they are suspicious of anything new, so give it a while with what ever you try. I've known rats that won't take a new food source even 6 weeks after it has been placed out , I've put down a trail cam and seen them with their nose 20mm from the food but they won't touch it. Also they have a crap sense of taste but if they like the smell and the feel of it against the roof of their mouth and between their incisors and molars, the diastema, they eat it. This is why they eat candles and kids crayons, there's no nutrition in them but it feels nice in their mouths. As above, I've used Nutella and oil and I add smooth peanut butter.If it's runny the can't grab it and scarper.

Interesting. Might try cooking up a candle and add some flavours. Like the waxblock rodenticide baits....

52 minutes ago, LuckOrJudgement said:

Interesting. Might try cooking up a candle and add some flavours. Like the waxblock rodenticide baits....

I had some Bromadiolone pasta bag bait and that smelt of bubble gum. The smell was so nice I even wanted to try it?. Perhaps try adding that to some wax. Google 'Bubble Gum Flavouring', you can get it in little bottles.