thin on the ground

fred90

Just now, fred90 said:

I had never been taught peg as you go. I had always netted in pairs. its only now I have started again I am Billy no mates I am working alone. 

I net alone sometimes but I like to talk about the night after I'm done.. it's just not same talking to my self ?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That is basically it. I don't do so much now since having the lurcher as I would rather run him. But also if you get it right the long netting can be pretty effective. If you have a spot with ten rabb

A fella called Abraham Stanley took me under is wing when I was a boy and he would talk about old days befor mixy when large numbers were taken with webs and wands.quick set wasn't about in them days

IMO the quickset is awkward and cumbersome and anybody can run one out , the traditional way of end pins and pegs is a skill and to perfectly hank a net after use so it runs out with the required bag

Posted Images

Makes sense to peg as you go. If your nice and steady they will sit tight till you pass then head for home but it don't matter then. Or of the wind is not perfect and blowing at an angle when they scent you will have passed and net is down. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Mr Wilkes said:

Food for thought Smithie .. I personally thing they didn’t know any better.

going back to quickset what were the reasons you wanted to learn the traditional way. do traditional catch better? do you think you have caught more than you would have with quickset nets? 

2 minutes ago, smithie said:

What do you think about it fred

I can't really comment has I have never handled a quickset or even seen anyone use 1.only 1 I have seen was at midland last year and that was on display already set. 

• Like 1

IMO the quickset is awkward and cumbersome and anybody can run one out , the traditional way of end pins and pegs is a skill and to perfectly hank a net after use so it runs out with the required bag on the next drop takes some doing. The only thing the quickset has going for it is that if it’s correctly rigged you do have 100% kill between the fibreglass poles. Anyone think differently ?.

• Like 3

forgot to mention all the quickset I have seen ferreting on YouTube the top lines always seem slack. I always have my top lines as tight as possible on traditional. is getting tension in top line a problem with quickset? 

I'm not sure it would not matter as much in the day as you see a rabbit hit and you go get it or the dog pins it and you can kill off a second rabbit

At night the net is ungarded and I would want to drop the height of the net but with the poles been the length they are I think you might struggle to throw a few extra loops over to get the tension.

If you cut the poles down they probably going to be a problem on the basket as the basket is I think designed for 1 meter poles and I'm on with 24 inch maybe 24 inch poles

Just my opinion.. next man along might say I talk shite lol

• Like 1
On 20/01/2019 at 16:21, W. Katchum said:

I refused to use a quick set for a long time but after me nets were pinched the guy I ferret with got a quick set, used it few times an must admit for the ferreting job it’s great, I still like the traditional net tho an the fact it’s so versatile, but likes been said if you ain’t willing to listen  an learn then ye won’t get better, it’s thay simple an no matter. How good ye think ye are with the webs, somebody somewhere will teach ye summat ?

A fella called Abraham Stanley took me under is wing when I was a boy and he would talk about old days befor mixy when large numbers were taken with webs and wands.quick set wasn't about in them days ,and he had a saying "if it's not broken don't try fix it "

he would have two fifty yard nets on pins that were placed in a old donkey jacket ,he made a pocket each side for his nets and a quiver for pegs .

he tryd to show me how to knit nets but I never did get hang of it.he showed me how to dub game cocks ,set snares .traps .

i miss abe ,he sadly passed away far to early .he loved anything todo with rabbiting,fishing,juckels and game cocks .he had a heart attack when he was collecting some baby ferret kits .

we are always learning new and better ways .

atb

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
15 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Jist slide ye rubber grommet up toward the end a Pole throw top line round pole few times till taught then slide grommet down to desired length, jist under knee height for me 

Can see that working ?