fred90

thin on the ground

Just now, smithie said:

Maybe they was not as botherd about spooking a rabbit or three due to the shear numbers that once was. Now you can't afford to spook three as they might be nothing left once they run off. Causing the netter of a More recent time to think a little more about how they go about it?

sounds about right. remember we are talking times when there was big numbers. chap who taught me had 63 on 1 drop 2 nets. 

I had never been taught peg as you go. I had always netted in pairs. its only now I have started again I am Billy no mates I am working alone. 

I dont know how far back pegging as you go became popular but I know it was before I began. But there was a time when the internet became popular and a place where like minded people could bounce/discuss ideas. I'm sure some would have been pegging as you went before tinternet happened but a lot more since..

Just now, fred90 said:

I had never been taught peg as you go. I had always netted in pairs. its only now I have started again I am Billy no mates I am working alone. 

I net alone sometimes but I like to talk about the night after I'm done.. it's just not same talking to my self 🙂

Makes sense to peg as you go. If your nice and steady they will sit tight till you pass then head for home but it don't matter then. Or of the wind is not perfect and blowing at an angle when they scent you will have passed and net is down. 

• Like 1

I think if some of old boys could come back and see the rabbit population today they would go back to being dead 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mr Wilkes said:

Food for thought Smithie .. I personally thing they didn’t know any better.

going back to quickset what were the reasons you wanted to learn the traditional way. do traditional catch better? do you think you have caught more than you would have with quickset nets? 

2 minutes ago, smithie said:

What do you think about it fred

I can't really comment has I have never handled a quickset or even seen anyone use 1.only 1 I have seen was at midland last year and that was on display already set. 

• Like 1

My opinion is there is a place for everything but a quick set is for the day time ferret job and not as versatile.

I could go on and explain but you asked Mr wilkso I'll let him answer

• Like 2

IMO the quickset is awkward and cumbersome and anybody can run one out , the traditional way of end pins and pegs is a skill and to perfectly hank a net after use so it runs out with the required bag on the next drop takes some doing. The only thing the quickset has going for it is that if it’s correctly rigged you do have 100% kill between the fibreglass poles. Anyone think differently ?.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Mr Wilkes said:

IMO the quickset is awkward and cumbersome and anybody can run one out , the traditional way of end pins and pegs is a skill and to perfectly hank a net after use so it runs out with the required bag on the next drop takes some doing. The only thing the quickset has going for it is that if it’s correctly rigged you do have 100% kill between the fibreglass poles. Anyone think differently ?.

I think having the bag tied in as much a pain as a good thing with quickset 😳

forgot to mention all the quickset I have seen ferreting on YouTube the top lines always seem slack. I always have my top lines as tight as possible on traditional. is getting tension in top line a problem with quickset? 

I'm not sure it would not matter as much in the day as you see a rabbit hit and you go get it or the dog pins it and you can kill off a second rabbit

At night the net is ungarded and I would want to drop the height of the net but with the poles been the length they are I think you might struggle to throw a few extra loops over to get the tension.

If you cut the poles down they probably going to be a problem on the basket as the basket is I think designed for 1 meter poles and I'm on with 24 inch maybe 24 inch poles

Just my opinion.. next man along might say I talk shite lol

• Like 1